• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Delusions of Mediocre Prosperity

(Reworked and better?) Delusions of Mediocre Prosperity

Edit: I have been working on this with all of my free time this week and all day today (Saturday).

Last weekend when I tried to fix the tempo in this, disaster struck. For some reason certain notes would not turn off in this. All of a sudden when I increased cc 11 these phantom notes from many measures back would decide they were still turned on and would play and not turn off until some other note was played or the note felt it was done pissing me off. Then of course another phantom note or 4 would take its place. I searched the forums for an answer, asked everyone and found no answers. I diligently tracked down most of these ball busting notes and removed them and changed the piece to work around these notes. I also used envelopes to try to hide some I couldn't find and tried to hide the rest as best as possible.

At one point you will hear a clarinet do a longer note than it should, just because I couldn't find a fix for that one easily. A few places this will sound very dissonant because of some of these phantom notes. Other places are dissonant on purpose.

Since this piece is tied to the financial markets and how we perceive them and how the media does the same, I thought the middle section would represent a calmer more stable time and the rest as the more violent ups and downs we see in the stock market. If you follow the lines in the piece, you will see that there are a lot of ups and downs, showing how the stock market fluctuates. Almost like looking at a flowchart showing the prices for a myriad of stocks. Underlying all of this is the bass in horns and strings almost constantly going upward, and yet in the higher registers many ups and downs.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, but I tried to impress that into this revision.

Here is the latest version

Here is the original post

This one is almost completed.

I started it Monday and did the rest today.

I had everything right and made a few more adjustments and somehow lost all of my Tempo changes.

So the tempo is not quite right, but it is presentable.

This is GPO and others.

Here it is

In case anyone is wondering about the title, this piece is a satirical look at the mainstream media that is telling us how bad things are for the typical American today. A little political statement on my part. Or it is about some weird crap out in space. My muse is drunk again and she always slurs her words so bad, I only understand half of it.

On another subject......
    Vote Republican and Democrat!!!

Keep gridlock alive and well, otherwise Congress will spend all of our great great grand kids money as well as all of ours.

Comments about the music are welcome

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: Delusions of Mediocre Prosperity

The title is very suggestive. I think you find your goal. The strings and later the other sections have an enigmatic role, hypnotic, like the mermaids whose song attracts to the obscure darkness with a promise of something splendid that is only a deceit. I´m waiting for the great finale. Congratulations!.

Mr K

I am hoping this one turns out to be the grand finale to the suite of works I have been working on this summer.

You noticed right off that this is not complete. I threw in this ending but for a 4 part suite the ending needs to be more final than this one has so far.

As soon as my muse sobers up, I hope to finish this.

Vancouver, BC

A timely concept for a composition. Another enjoyable work.

I'm especially fond of the middle part where the clarinet bleats out a "What happened?" theme like a lost soul. Excellent writing here.

When your orchestral suite is done are you going to write some works for smaller ensembles? I would like to put in a request for one (or more).

The ending needs more but not necessarily louder or more dramatic as a slowing with repetition might work well, say bring back some earlier themes.

The opening sounds very "spacey." Very creative orchestrating too.

Good use of percussion. The middle clarinet section reminds me of
    some Rymsky Korsakoff or other Russian writers. Also, isn't it amazing how
    a little motive will go along way with some development?

Woodwinds really sound great and the Timpani/cymbals play a large
    part to enhance the drama....Nice wide open intervals, too.

, Ron

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I am teaching an 8th grade Geometry class now and have twins in the class that are State champions on the Contrabass and the Violin. I have been asked to compose a duet for them so I do have plans for a smaller ensemble. I am also working on piece for piano, (using the new Steinway) with Oboe, Violin and cello. I can't believe this.. I just rebooted 10 minutes ago and have to do it again. I do hate Vista.

I am from Scottish/German ancestory but I love the Russian composers.

Rimsky-Korsakov is one of my favorites!

I was afraid that I didn't vary that middle part enough and it would seem to be too repetitive. Sounds like I developed it enough.

Thanks guys

I am rebooting again to get rid of the awful squelch windows is putting out.

Hey Ron,

Well, maybe combine the two: Think about how all the decades of media politics are traveling to far reaches of space on the waves of broadcast.

This is very good Ron! I think this could be a companion work with Forgotten Heros. But I have to give you my honest opinion; I did enjoy it, could hear your signature, but I feel it needs balance between your lush and seamless weaving of writing and a more defined line or texture. Does that make sense? My ears just wanted something a bit more in focus within your wonderfully crafted ocean of sound.

Well, I have a flight to Charlotte NC tomorrow for a job - might be moving.
    You know, the pursuit of mediocre prosperity.

Overall Ron, it's a really great work and definitely a new path for you.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Ron - must say I am very impressed with this. Very fluid, moving, mysterious and mystical - very good writing. Did I say moving too? Kept me engaged and interested which is quite a feat! 3 times!

On the computer front, are you saying those ads on TV are true about VISTA Operating System? Those are tooo funny! Although I do feel guilty laughing as I have a lot of PC friends. Some competition is always a good thing for all, otherwise we get too ...

As for the political statement, too much power is not always a good thing, so if governments/parties could work together more it would be so much better. Must admit the events of the last 6 months in America have been quite interesting even exciting - (a woman and a visible minority running for president-and the kicker is that they both seem intelligent and competent - a real plus in most countries these days).

I once heard of Russian psychiatrist who emigrated to the US back in the early nineties and left to go back home after a year and a half. His reason was that he found people too politically complacent etc. He also said, in Russia the government gives you nothing or very little so you are busy just surviving day to day. He said in America, the government gives you everything (or a lot) so everyone one is distracted and the result is the same in both systems-the government gets to do what it wants. Something to think about. -Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

I had someone else tell me that this one lacks focus. Basically that this is more of a backdrop for something else. So I guess it needs more work.

Charlotte is a huge change from AZ and MD. Hot and humid all the time. But I have seen some 2 feet of snow there a number of years ago. Let me know how the interview went.

Not long ago I read a column by George Will that said when we have a congress controlled by the same party as the President, whether it be republican or democrat, spending is always higher by a large percentage as compared to when the controlling parties are split.

I don't want the executive branch to get along with the congress. It just means more for them to screw up and a faster way to do it.

When I saw the Vista commercial for the first time, I thought of suing for false advertising. I had to reboot my vista powered machine 6 times yesterday. But I have always been a pc guy and when I use macs at school, I miss something. Don't know what it is but I go home to do my work on my pc. Even if I do have to reboot all of the time.

Thanks guys

Most certainly, this is a soundscape duly reflective of
    our through-the-looking-glass, "Alice In Wonderland"
    political and economic environment, Ron: not reality,
    but a blurred and distorted and twisted image seen
    through both a veil and [a common theme with you,
    as you say] three feet of water. Very evocative and
    enticing... it draws you in and carries you along with
    the same sense of surrealism our "news" media does.

Technically, Ron, I think this might benefit from a
    little less reverb, at least by my tastes -- I'd like to
    be able to hear all of the lines a little more clearly;
    though, given the subject matter, perhaps clarity would
    be counter to your intent!

All the best,

David Sosnowski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast