• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere: own samples, yes please!

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere: own samples, yes please!

Is it possible to import my own samples into Omnisphere?
    Not initially. While the first release of Omnisphere does not support user import of samples, we understand how cool that would be and certainly wouldn't rule that out for the future.
    Hi there I just want to stress a bit that indeed that would be indeed quite cool

best

Uli
    Uli Reuter
    film composer, Germany

Re: Omnisphere: own samples, yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by Uli Reuter View Post
    Hi there I just want to stress a bit that indeed that would be indeed quite cool

best

Uli
    Yes it would be HUGE!!

Spectrasonics might want to sell you 20 more gigs of sample first.
    Also - Once you open the plugin for any and all samples, piracy of the plug becomes a real big issue.

Well, Eric has mentioned that it could be a feature down the line, I would imagine that it will be integrated at some point.. Given that they were able to accomplish this with RMX, I don't see why it couldn't be done with Omnisphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Well, Eric has mentioned that it could be a feature down the line, I would imagine that it will be integrated at some point.. Given that they were able to accomplish this with RMX, I don't see why it couldn't be done with Omnisphere.
    I agree...you can import samples in everything from Absynth to Kontakt to Transfuser...you name it. Man...if you could import your own wav files into the Omni engine it would be a dream come true.
    Andy

The question is : how many samples its own sounds ?
    how many just loads and plays ready-to-use libraries with a sampler ?
    Sure Spectrasonics can't provide ALL sounds, but they are able to create a format for third-part development... ;-)

the concept and all reminds me a bit to the Kurzweil K2000/2500/2600 line which is based on factory samples, on expansion boards plus a strong synthesis section and the possibility to use own sample material... I think most of the K2XXX users were operating with a mixture of those two. I think it has something healthy and artstic
    Btw as far as I'm concerned, Stylus RMX is 3 times as interesting through the possibility to use rex files.

Anyway, no hurry, there's much to explore even like it is...
    Uli Reuter
    film composer, Germany

I can see the desire to import your own samples into Omnisphere. I think that with all of the soft samplers out there, like Kontakt, chances are you already have that option, albeit not with Omnispehre's powerful synth engine. Back in the days before massive amounts of patches were instantaneously available I fancied myself a programmer. Twiddling knobs on a Minimoog, or Korg Poly 6. Now with dudes like Eric and Diego giving me a mass array of useable sounds I'd rather be playing than tweeking.

With that said, I love picking two sound sources in omnispehere and layering them together. Maybe add a little LFO stuttering to one of the layers. The problem I find with programming is that I spend an evening making one sound instead of spending the evening composing. It might be cool to add in some custom samples of my voice or sound effects. The thought of trying to multisample an acuostic guitar with 7 velocity levels, up and down strokes, is far beyond my abilities or patience.

I can't wait for Omnisphere expansion packs like an Ethnic lib (Heart of Asia and Africa), a broader vocal lib (like Voices of Passion)

2 cents,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

'The thought of trying to multisample an acuostic guitar with 7 velocity levels, up and down strokes, is far beyond my abilities or patience. '

Well...yeah...I'm not faintly interested in doing something like that. I've been doing stuff with a good stereo mic and a field recorder...everything from kitchen utensils to crickets and bass bows on cardboard boxes. Then chopping up the wavs into bite size samples and doing evil things to
    the samples. I've been using Absynth and Kontakt for this but Omni would be better. A lot better. For me it's fun to have an interesting unidentifiable texture somewhere in a piece along with conventional instruments. Eric and crew have produced a stunning array of such sounds and I will certainly be using them but I also have a lot of fun rolling my own.
    Andy

I agree that it takes a lot time away from writing to tweak your own sounds... but once you are done and created a sound, you never have to do it again...

I sampled my neighbors metal trashcan... with multiple velocity layers and multiple beaters... it took me 3 days... then of course I have different versions of the same instrument, one normal, one mangled and another tuned down.

So there ya go... fun fun...

Go Back to forum