• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Violin sonata (Strad and GPO Steinway)

Violin sonata (Strad and GPO Steinway)

Well, here is the final transcription of the Sonate, opus 35, in its new guise as a violin sonata.

I don't know if I should cut the recording into smaller chunks... maybe that might help downloading speeds. As it is, each file consists of 2 whole movements.

I really like how the Strad worked in Finale, and particularly how life-like HumanPlayback made it sound. Some of the double-stops I might have liked a bit more emphasis on the lower notes, but I can live with this.

The violn transcription might get its premiere this winter. I'm still discussing the possibility with a violinist. More news later, hopefully.

So without further ado, Violin sonata:

Part I (movements 1 and 2: Preludium and Scherzo)

Part II (movements 3 and 4: Nocturne and Tiento)

Part III (movements 5 and 6: Arioso and Ronde)

The entire thematic material is exposed in the very first movement (Preludium), and then developed throughout the subsequant 5 movements in alternations of fast and slow tempos. The final movement (Ronde) is a sort of rondo where the material (moods, rather) of the preceding parts are reiterated but in reverse order ( Arioso, Tiento, Nocturne, Scherzo, and finale the Preludium... with a tiny coda based on the Scherzo).

The entire sonata is, obviously, extremely cyclical, with every bit of material finding itself developed into "new" material for each part. Even the Scherzo, which is a pure "classical" scherzo form complete with Trio and all the requisite repeats of an "A theme" and a "B theme", basically utilizes only one motif from teh opening movement.

Re: Violin sonata (Strad and GPO Steinway)

As I said before, I think this violin sonata and the clarinet sonata, although so
    similar, can stand alone. I personally like the violin preference. The music
    just fits so well with the instrument. Maybe I'm being fooled with the quality
    of the piano and violin together, but I think not. The violin is just so perfect
    for this sonata.

Love the rhythmic change at around 3m 20s of sonata 1. It "jump starts"
    the listener and really gets his attention. Really awesome......and WOW,
    what a closing section.

Great violin solo after the 3m mark in the sonata 2. A "jazz" chord at the
    close of the second mp3? What a surprising finality........

Sonata 3 file has a gorgeous intro with the piano solo. So well rendered
    Michel. I can't believe this is a Finale product. You have to be complimented
    on your command of that notation program.

Lovely violin melody near the 2m mark of sonata 3. And, at 4m, the change
    of tempo is another point that retains the listener's attention. Just a great
    lift, Michel. Awesome interply between violin and piano all the way through
    this great piece. At 6m 36s you can tell "we are on the way home." Just
    a great buildup to an exciting closing section.

BRAVO, Michel

P.S. Do you have control of the violin vibrato in Finale or is that also handled
    by the Human Playback feature?
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Again, thank-you Jack.

With the Strad, a certain amount of "cheating" is required to get good playback in Finale.

The sort of cheat I mean is the creation of certain invisible articulations and expressions to trigger some of the Strad's performance features.

As for the "jazz chord", hehehe well, it's part of the harmonic language I use, but I don't treat it like a jazz chord. It's a polychord. In other words, a chord made up itself of componant triads, sometimes making up 7-8 note amalgams. The chord in particular you refer to is refered to as the "overtone chord", since all of its notes consist of the first 7 distinct notes of the overtone series. It also happens to be one of my favourite chords It is VERY present through-out the entire sonata, even if it doesn't show quite as much.

Is an excellent work, with a high musical level and a remarkable manage of the two instruments. I enjoyed a lot it. Congratulations!. Played with real performers must sound superb (altough the sequence sound very expressive). If you get a record with the violinist i´d like to hear it. The solo piano in the beginning of the third movement is really beautiful. It was the movement that i liked more, melancholic, intriguing and turbulent and vital at the end. I´d like to hear more of your work, i really liked it a lot.

thank-you MrKeyboard.

I have to say that I am also partial to the opening of the 3rd part (technically, the 5th movement... "Arioso"). I liked creating an effect of suspended anticipation.. "will the violin play or not?"

The entire sonata is more "romantic" than my normal output.

Having the chance to rework the piece after its premiere has been great, and having the Strad as a tool for that work has been fantastic.

Bravo, bravo, bravissimo! Very well written, enjoyable music. I will take the three movements into my iPod right away.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I really like how the Strad worked in Finale, and particularly how life-like HumanPlayback made it sound. Some of the double-stops I might have liked a bit more emphasis on the lower notes, but I can live with this.
    I agree with you.

Thanks for sharing your fine music with us.

Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

While I prefer the earlier version, Michel, I have
    listened through the entirety of the work in its
    violin guise -- and again, Bravo!

Forgive the injection of a certain whimsy, but --
    the writing in this is so overwhelmingly well crafted,
    you could probably play the solo on a kazoo and
    still blow everyone's socks off.

May I sincerely wish that you have performance
    of this, my friend. Musical thought as superb
    as this richly deserves a broader audience.

With great admiration,

David Sosnowski

Choosing the right instruments as you well know is always a challenge. IF I have a good expressive instrument I will tend to choose that above all else even if it may not be the perfect choice. And it is always a question of what fits best and lets face it the violin is one great instrument. The clarinet worked well here but the violin is better.

With the 3 sonatas I found great writing in all 3 and of course had my favourite parts - The first part of the 2nd and the first part of the third. Another favourite was most of the piano parts - very accomplished, very interesting and dynamic! Of course we all want to hear this with a real violinist, (as good as the STrad is... )

Thanks for sharing! - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

I agree with those that have said that this works better in this frame than with the clarinet. But i have always thought that the Violin is mure exprssive than the clarinet.

The second half of the 3rd really stands out for me. Very nice.

Well done

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

thank-you Ron, David, Del and Jun-san.

David, I will have to consider, once Gary comes out with GKO (Garritan Kazoo Orchestra), re-arranging this sonata one more time.

I'm glad to see that different people are picking out different parts as their favourite. I always worry when there's some sort of consensus on the "favourite section" of any of my pieces.

Remember, this is a single work, divided into 6 much smaller sections, which are in turn grouped into 3 major sections. I think that the whole would be lacking were any single part removed. It would be like telling a story, but leaving out a chapter. I hope that the "story-telling" progression works.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast