• Register
  • Help

Topic: I forgot how good the Strad and Gofriller are

Share/Bookmark

I forgot how good the Strad and Gofriller are

I forgot how good the solo string libraries are. now that i picked them up again i've written 3 pieces in a week with the two and i'm starting a cello concerto.

also, after a couple years of messing with GPO and Logic i've gotten a lot better at getting really natural sounds with most of the instruments.

anyway, i'm hoping that the GPOA can live up to the Strad and Gofriller standards. the guys at Garritan set the bar pretty high - that may have been a BIG mistake, but i doubt it.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: I forgot how good the Strad and Gofriller are

One thing that you need to have is either an expression pedal or something that can send cc11, this will control the volume. Otherwise (with the violin especially) you will get a somewhat dead. The main controllers I use for most of my playing are the expression pedal and the modwheel for vibrato depth. You can get some pretty cool music just using those controllers (plus the notes of course!).

Then there's the keyswitches for things like pizzacato, different kinds of attacks, etc. but you definitely need to use cc11 to get any kind of life in the instruments at all.

Hope this helps a little- there's a lot more you can do with it of course, those are just the basics.

--Richard

Big Ern,

Playing the Gofriller and Strad takes a little bit of time, but in my experience well worth the price.

There are basically two ways to go about it, the first is to notate everything then go back and edit. Sometimes this is easier, depending on your keyboard skills.

BUT,

what i would do before that is get a feel for each. get a controller with after touch and a mod wheel (i use an axiom 25), expression pedal (i have a Roland EV-5) and a sustain pedal (this isn't really essential) then play away. keep it on the default staccato setting and try to hear what velocities produce what attack. then you have to experiment with the portamento - i think this is the most important part of everything. if you leave a finger on a note then play another it will automatically add portamento. depending on how hard you hit the second note decides the speed of the slide. with a velocity of 1 you get a slow slide, and with 127 you get no slide - just plain old legato.

many times if i record myself i have to go back and adjust lots of the velocities to erase slides or get them how i want them.

after i play something i erase all the mod wheel and expression pedal data then record each separately over the notes and adjust if need be.

just remember - expression pedal is volume, mod wheel is vibrato speed, and aftertouch is vibrato intensity/volume.

here is an example of something i've been working on the past two or three days. keep in mind that i've done no mixing with this and have not fine tuned anything, but i still think i get a very convincing sound

http://www.soundclick.com/keithfuller - then click on "Cello Concerto (In Progress)"

if there is anything that you hear and are curious about just tell me what time in the piece and i'll explain it. i hope this helps.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

DPDan generously posted a midi and mp3 version of a song he did featuring the strad etc. It was called All I Ask of You.

Having the midi data to compare with the rendered result was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen View Post
    Can you clue me in to HOW to use Strad and Gofriller!? I bought them awhile ago, and haven't really spent time with them (and the manual) because of other projects.

I know I need to read the manual, but I'd like a little help here! I can't seem to change sounds/articulations and can't figure it out. I JUST get ONE lousy sound, and I KNOW it is WAY more capable than that!
    Look here, there are example files if you scroll down:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=58465

Keith, very impressive cello rendering, and I also like the writing!
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Keith, I listened to your concerto and the cello really DOES sound really good!!!

I agree with what has been said. An expression pedal, keyboard with aftertouch and a mod wheel will do the job. Well, at least after hours of practice! Not all expression pedal and keyboard relationships are alike, so be sure to test that a) the pedal works with your keyboard and b) you get a full 0 - 127 range of values from the pedal. I had a Moog pedal but only got a range of 54 - 127 and that range represented about 1/2 inch of pedal movement! I replaced it with a Fatar VP26 Universal and everything was just peachy.

Keith, your cello work (not to mention the rest of it) is terrific! I am soo jealous! Please let us know when the piece is complete!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Hannes, karvasika, & Kevin,

Thanks for listening. I always appreciate an audience. By the way, I added some stuff to the opening solo.

I'd also like to note that I mixed up the functions of aftertouch and the modwheel. The modwheel does the volume/intensity of the vibrato and aftertouch controls the rate (0 - slow vibrato, 127 - really fast vibrato). Sorry for the misadvice.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Hey, these sound great! Can anyone direct me to where I can buy either gofriller cello or Garritan stradavari violin? Thanks!

Go Back to forum