• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Advice on coming stringsampling wanted

Share/Bookmark

Advice on coming stringsampling wanted

As a sampleproducer I found the advice I\'ve got from this forum extremly valuable, so here we go again.

We are planning to sample strings, both a small ensamble + solo strings. This will be the follow up to BOB - Bigga Orchestral Brass, and will contain Violins, Violas, Cellos and Contrabass.
    Now, I want to state from the start that this is NOT going to be anything near GOS in terms of variations, on the other hand, it won\'t be anything near the pricetag on GOS either..... so when giving me suggestions, please bare that in mind!

Ok, here we go, first out is Violins, scheduled for recording late March or early April. I\'m gonna use 4 violinists and then make them play everything twice, so you can double them, giving 8 violins. I know that it\'s probably better to use 8 musicians, but hey, I\'m on a budget here....
    Anyway, I might have them to play on different instruments and change places for recordin a/b samples.
    Ok, I need suggestions on both solo and ensamble stuff, anything\'s welcome!

Thanks in advance
    Worra
    Bigga Giggas

[This message has been edited by Worra (edited 02-15-2002).]

Re: Advice on coming stringsampling wanted

If you intend to double track them, I\'d definitely try and get them to bring a second instrument for the overdub - it\'ll help avoid phase cancelling.

This is a development I wanna follow (see my post on \'Simple Multi Strings\' in the sample lib discussions).

I\'d like a GigaLibrary that\'s the multistrings equivalent to Dan Dean\'s Solo Strings (sorry for mentioning the competition ).

The addition of bass would be welcome. As a solo instrument I do not need it for my purposes but as a multi-string instrument it would be very welcome.

Will it be somewhere in the price category of 175 -200 US$?

Grtz,

Roba

Would love to get a hold of a solo violin ala Mark O\'Connor and his work with James Taylor. Another example would be the cut \"Benjaman\" from Yo Yo Ma\'s Appalachian ... CD.

Any hope??

Worra

Definitely try this for the \"alternates. First take in one seating positions, and second take with the players spead out a little more and moved \"back\" a little more. I know this makess the alternate takes a little more difficult in the recording process, instead of \"ok take one....record....take two record....\" you could go through all the samples you want to record in one position, thne move them then do the second takes.

This helps with Phasing issues, and allows for some depth when mixing. you should actually be able to hear the difference in placement. Imagine the \"Depth\" you can create by different mixing of the two \"sections\"

Depending on how far the violins are from the mics, you may want to get some baffles put in front of the players when/if you move them \"back\" for the second take, to emulate string players that would be sitting in front of them.

Give us more than two takes of each short bow. Record bow scrape effects (short bows without notes), and multiple versions. This is something I still haven\'t seen yet and would be an awesome way to create fast runs.

i personally can never have enough col legno

Slides up and down

update CDs That way I can tweak and share

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

What great news!!

OK, here are my suggestions:

Make different lengths of stacco. Sometimes I need a short note that is really \"crisp\". Other times I want something that sounds a bit longer.

Make three different lenghts of portato! This can be very useful for different tempos of music. This can be useful for creating a more natural ending.

Use vibrato.

please include keyswitched instruments.

crescendos and decrescendos. I like these to be natural.

You know I re read my post and realized I should have put placement issues instead of phasing issues.

In fact doing this would possibly increase the phasing problems.

Definitely try and get thme to bring alterante instruments....and then move them

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Worra,

I\'d love to have a solo violin with no vibrato and a nice crisp attack for lead work.
    Dasher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:
    If you intend to double track them, I\'d definitely try and get them to bring a second instrument for the overdub - it\'ll help avoid phase cancelling.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I\'ve been thinking about this, what do you think of just letting them change instruments with eachother?

Worra

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RobA:

Will it be somewhere in the price category of 175 -200 US$?

Grtz,

Roba
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We\'ll probably follow the path that we choosen with BOB, that is release single instruments as separate CD and then offer a package including all.
    There will in that case be 4 CD\'s of solo instruments and 4 CD\'s of ensamble. Then a 4-cd package with solo strings and a 4 CD package with the ensamble.

BOB are priced $59/single CD and $189 for a 4-CD package, and this will be priced in the same region.

Worra

Go Back to forum