• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Most Unhappy Man"

Share/Bookmark

"Most Unhappy Man"

I am among those who feel that certain keys evoke certain 'sentiments', even within the scheme of supposed 'equal temperament'. Here is a piece in the key of E, with a side-tracked bridge in the key of G ... sub-mediant?, resolving back to E.

http://www.rockindd.com/mp3/MUM_NEW_...te_mixdown.mp3

Even if you have nothing to say about the piece itself, I would appreciate any thoughts about the very notion of key and/or temperament. Educate me...

Phillip McGuffin
    cmeride79@gmail.com

Re: "Most Unhappy Man"

Hi. Your piece thinked in terms of pop music is very fine. I didn´t understand the relation between the title and your work because it didn´t sounded sad or depressive for me at all. About your question, maybe this may help you:

http://www.library.yale.edu/~mkoth/keychar.htm

Victor

Hi Phillip,

I understand what you are saying. I believe each key could go either way in terms of emotions based on use of chord types within each key.

However, I have abandoned, but not forgotten, key fundamentals and traditional practice. To me theory is one of many "weapons" in the arsenal of composition. I usually let the music stray wherever and go back and figure out either modulations of just chromatic coloring.

I "feel" your "rock ballad" roots in this one. The drum set offers a more modern dramatic flair and the string melody sings your title well. I hear the sadness but nothing overwhelmingly heart wrenching.

Your work is enjoyable while maintaing a more precise construction and direction.

Great job!

M

Quote Originally Posted by cmeride79 View Post
    I am among those who feel that certain keys evoke certain 'sentiments', even within the scheme of supposed 'equal temperament'. Here is a piece in the key of E, with a side-tracked bridge in the key of G ... sub-mediant?, resolving back to E.

http://www.phillipmcguffin.com/mp3/B...te_mixdown.mp3

Even if you have nothing to say about the piece itself, I would appreciate any thoughts about the very notion of key and/or temperament. Educate me...

Phillip McGuffin
    cmeride79@gmail.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi,

It's probably my computer speakers. I am hearing a lot of piano chords and rhythm with a very weak melody line in the background. Your bridge brings the leading line in a little louder. What I would need to hear it better is about reversing the volume of the chords and drums to the back and bringing the melody forward.

I agree the key influences the music. I believe the instruments also reinforce the mood when in different registers. Even the same instruments in different libraries will sound different and exert an influence.

Best to you and keep writing,

tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

cmerige79:

First of all, G,(#) in the key of E is the MEDIENT, not the sub-medient.

The ballad has nice changes and the melody is a driving one.
    Like the way you handled the progression changes and the
    percussion does much to really drive your piece.

In this instance, I see no particular change in my "sentiments"
    regarding key change. I have noticed this "temperament" effect,
    though, in some classical music. Seems like a lot of music in sharp
    keys sound more pristine than those written in flat keys. I must
    admit, though, that this could be a purely subjective assessment.

I think your experiment would be more valid if you played the WHOLE
    piece, say, starting in E major and then played it in F, and then in some
    other keys to see if that "Sentiment" effect holds true in different
    keys.

Enjoyable listen, cmeride79

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I think this is a fine rock ballad. Very clear message with it, i.e. clear in what you want say by the music. I like it. Good job.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

The mp3 link is broken Phillip.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    The mp3 link is broken Phillip.

Phil
    I apologize for the temporarily broken link; we're in the midst of re-arranging domain serivces while concurrently battling the aftermath of that pesty little Cat 4 Hurricane Ike. Diligently trying to rejoin the rest of the civilized world again, now that the router's enjoying restored electrical power. Sigh of relief. Thanks, again, for listening; your time and comments are deeply appreciated.

PHM/cas

I don't think the key has as much to do with things as much as what key you are in and what key you change to.

I have read that Beethoven would disagree. Supposedly, he believed that certain keys portrayed certain emotions.

I have always felt most comfortable composing in Eb major. I don't know if that means anything or not.

Add 98 cents to the above and you can buy a bucks worth of coffee.

The music is not to my tastes, but It doesn't sound unhappy to me but I don't think that has anything to do with the key either.

Just not my style of music. But it is put together well.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

It sounds fine to me. The fast techno rock cymbal at the beginning isn't to my liking but I know it's used all the time in pop music.

I'm sure this would appeal to someone who is attracted to a sweet melody but wants the solid drum beat.

You probably know more about the market for this sort of music than just about everyone else on this forum.

Good work!

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast