• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 31 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Omnispere suggestions

Share/Bookmark

Omnispere suggestions

The purpose of this thread is to offer up some suggestions for improving workflow in Omnisphere. This is ment to be a positive thread, and has no intention of being a hit piece, at least not on my part. It's a wish list. The goal is to make the interface more intuitive to the largest percentage of people possible. To me that means in part, to let the subconscious part of your brain take on some of the workload. An example of this plays out through repetition, like the scroll wheel on a mouse used to scroll a web page. Your subconscious will eventually take on this duty after a number of repetitions. Thusly if one were to make an interface that didn't make use of this scroll wheel feature, wherein it could be applicable, by which a very large percent of people couldn't use said feature, the interface would be considered counter intuitive to a well establish norm. In this respect I have these suggestions.

1. I'll start with the browser, and the missing links. When you're in the patch browser for instance, there is no link to the soundsource browser, and when you're in the sound source browser, there is no link to the patch browser. This is counter intuitive to any browser I've ever been in. Granted there are three browsers, but we shouldn't have to backtrack to get to all three. My suggestion is three buttons (tabs) on the browser page itself, marked soundsource, patch, multi, whichever one is active would be lit. No extra clutter is really necessary here, as these buttons could be placed in the location where the header name of the browser is now.

2. When you're in the browser and you want to leave, we must click where (X) marks the spot. This is a nitpicking suggestion, but why not make more real estate for getting out of the browser. An example of this is clicking outside your plugin to get to your host program. I very rarely (x) out my plugins, because my cursor is almost always closer to all the real estate available outside the plugin. The suggestion here is to make all the current inactive area within the Omnisphere plugin, that is not browser teritory, active, for the sole purpose of leaving the browser. Most users IMO, already have their subconscious geared up for this. So much so that it actually takes a conscious effort to (X) out, and thusly makes it counter intuitive.

3. The default in the FX page has the setting where (common) is active, and thats the way it should be, but what needs to be changed here is that it follow, to the layer chosen on the edit page, or any other page where layer choices are possible. I've had a number of times going to the FX page, where I put down an effect on a layer, only to find after, I'm either on the wrong layer, or on the common. The current situation has one of the three buttons (1,2,and common) remaining active, depending on what your last choice was on the FX page, and fails to follow your workflow on the other plugin windows. This doesn't mean that you will never put an effect down in the wrong way like I stated earlier, only that you will do it one heck of a lot less.

4. Stack mode - This is so easy to use .. it's sick. Love it! But there are some problems with responsiveness. Sometimes the bars (bars for lack of any other name) Won't moved at all. I'll call it glitchy.

5. The browser is a step up from NIs Browser IMO. Context sensitive is a nice touch. This suggestion is just to ad a little to it, to make it that much more receptive to the idividual. It goes like this.
    Add 8 more listings to category, the listings would be named, white, yellow, red, blue (slightly different than current blue used by Spectrasonics), green, orange, purple, and favorites These would contain the listings of all the soundsources, patches, and multis you tag yourself. Tagging would only take two clicks of the mouse, by putting your cursor over a soundsource listing for instance, right click, menu appears with colors and favorites listed, click your choice, and that soundsource is listed under favorites, or the color you gave it, also the soundsource listing you tagged gets the print changed to the color you chose, or perhaps gets a star next to it's listing for favorite. The user might tag it red, because it's an agressive favorite, or tag it red, because it's might work well with drums. Essentailly ... The user personalizes the browser to their taste (whatever they choose to ascociate to a color). Hence, the listings will show various color print that the user understands in their own little way, and be able to do this with very little effort, just two clicks for each tagging.

6. In the browser there is a tab listed as info, and it is a default setting, but there is no way to make the other choice the default, at least not as far as I can tell. The info page is also a nice touch, but it is the equivalent of a nag screen every time I open an instance of Omnisphere, thats if it is, that you wish for the other choice to be the default.

I've got a few more, but thats enough for now. Hoping they (Spectrasonics) uses some, or all of these suggestions.

Re: Omnispere suggestions

nice ideas, cheers.

1.I would like to see an easier way of using of using the mod envelopes as a melodic step sequencer, to have a mode that deals with notes and pitches rather than numeric values.

or even better a step seq mode for the arp where you could generate melodic patterns.

2.a randomize option like in crystal.

peace out
    Matt :-)

Yes. Nice ideas. I have 1 to add:
    Let the scroll wheel of the mouse work in the browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    Yes. Nice ideas. I have 1 to add:
    Let the scroll wheel of the mouse work in the browser.
    It does ... and works beautifully I might add

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hooper View Post
    nice ideas, cheers.

1.I would like to see an easier way of using of using the mod envelopes as a melodic step sequencer, to have a mode that deals with notes and pitches rather than numeric values.

or even better a step seq mode for the arp where you could generate melodic patterns.

2.a randomize option like in crystal.

peace out
    Matt :-)
    I'll second the randomize option. That would be cool.
    Agree on number one too.

Please allow the (cpu's keyboard) to be a control for program changes..
    Intel Q6600|3.0ghz|Asus P5b Deluxe|8Gbs Corsair Performance Ram|BFG 8800 GT 512mb|XP64 SP2|Wd Raptors||Api A2D|Lavry DA10|E-mu 1820m|Csr|Roland A-50|Studiologic SL 990 Pro|Novation SL Remote Zero|Dynaudio Bm5a|Event 8|Cubase 4.5.2|K3|Many lovely libraries

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_314 View Post
    It does ... and works beautifully I might add
    I'll check it again .. but I suspect it's not working here.

7. Here's a situation I ran into the other day. I had a multi going with five parts, and there was a noise coming out of the mix that I didn't like. Needless to say, muting out parts was about the only way to track down the offending noise. This involves going to the mixer to find the problem part, and then navigating back to the edit page of that part to make necessaey changes. This is not a huge deal, but it would be easier if mute buttons were on the parts bar, right above the 8 parts listed, basically like it is in Stylus. This would be very helpful when working with any multi, for any number of reasons.

Mute and Solo are not there?
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Quote Originally Posted by Lister Coleman View Post
    Mute and Solo are not there?
    Not on the 8 parts at the top of the screen. Only on the mixer.

Go Back to forum