• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Help with finding some CDs

Share/Bookmark

OT: Help with finding some CDs

Two requests for info and opinions, one rather obscure, the other not so much ...

(1) I have an LP that I bought some 30 years ago, which was never released on CD and is unlikely to ever make it. It was put out by Murray Hill Records, which I think is defunct. It's a boxed set of 5 LPs called "Collector's History of Classic Jazz". It included restorations of some very old jazz recordings. In copying the tracks to my computer (in WAV files to burn on a CD) I found that a couple of the tracks that I really like are damaged with pops and dropouts (probably from my playing them so much over the years, before the digital era.)

Ideally, I'd like to find the original versions, if they exist in another collection on CD. Otherwise, I'd settle for the same songs recorded by other artists, if they are done well and true to the spirt of the originals. The tracks I am interested in are "That's a Plenty" (Sidney Bechet & Muggsy Spanier), "Keyhole Blues" (Louis Armstrong) and "Mama's Gone Goodbye" (Bunk Johnson). All great tunes, by the way, if you haven't heard them. Does anyone know of a currently available CD that contains one or more of these titles?

(2) I'm also looking for a good recording of the complete opera "Carmen". But there are a lot of versions out there that contain music that Bizet didn't write, or that leave out the dialog, have weird cuts or strange tempos. I really want a very straightforward version. I have an LP of the Grace Bumbry version (billed on the jacket -- I mean the box -- as the "first stereo recording of the original 1875 opera comique version") which tries to create exactly what was presented on the opening night (when Bizet himself reportedly conducted) with all the cuts, last minute additions, etc. It's wonderful. But it's analog and well below the standards of fidelity that we are used to today.

I also have a DVD of the movie with Placido Domingo, which I like a lot. Is anyone familiar with the soundtrack CD? Does it contain the whole opera, or are there cuts? For years I've been going into record shops and looking at the truly bewildering number of versions of Carmen on the market and it's a bit overwhelming. A couple of times I bought one that sounded good when listening to a couple of tracks in the store, but turned to be lacking when I got them home. I've given them all away. I watch the DVD now when I am home, since I have great speakers on my TV, but I'd like a CD that I can play in my car. This is one of my favorite pieces of music and, as originally presented, an absolute masterpiece in terms of dramatic structure and effective storytelling. I go back to it again and again for inspiration. It's time that I got a decent CD.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

Cool Re: OT: Help with finding some CDs

try this site

http://www.recordsbymail.com

search classic jazz

also

http://www.gemm.com/

Lightbulb Re: OT: Help with finding some CDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen View Post
    Me too!

I heard a recording of "Beethoven's 6th Symphony" last week on KUSC in L.A. that "smoked" every other recording I've heard!

I emailed the program director, and haven't heard back.

WHAT'S the best recording of the "6th" that you've heard?

Thanks in advance,

Ern
    KUSC has their playlist online. Looks like they played #6 on 9/5 at 6:38 AM (Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam / Bernard Haitink, Philips 420 229).

Enjoy,

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Cool Re: OT: Help with finding some CDs

does anyone have a copy of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZRbko3UsnQ

Re: OT: Help with finding some CDs

Ejr wrote: (2) I'm also looking for a good recording of the complete opera "Carmen". But there are a lot of versions out there that contain music that Bizet didn't write, or that leave out the dialog, have weird cuts or strange tempos. I really want a very straightforward version. I have an LP of the Grace Bumbry version (billed on the jacket -- I mean the box -- as the "first stereo recording of the original 1875 opera comique version") which tries to create exactly what was presented on the opening night (when Bizet himself reportedly conducted) with all the cuts, last minute additions, etc. It's wonderful. But it's analog and well below the standards of fidelity that we are used to today.

Raymond's reply:
    I happened to have this CD (double CD). Copied from the LP recording you mentioned. But I seldom played this LP, so the recording is really good. Played with a Thorens and Stanton S880 element. OK, there are some clicks and pops (I just checked), but that makes it more genuine.

I will have a look at our local library - right now their site is out of order - if they have this recording on CD.

So tell me what you want. Or I send you a copy of my CD's or I wait until that library is online again. Only the booklet....? I made it the size of the CD-box but don't have the original anymore.... so this is another story.

Greetings,

Raymond

Have you considered an inter-library loan for these recordings?
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Thanks for the replies (online and off) but I'm afraid I still haven't found what I am looking for. The Bumbry version of Carmen is on CD (available at Barnes & Nobel) but it is "digitally remastered" rather than originally recorded digitally, which is what I wanted. (Digital audio didn't exist at the time.) So, let me try to phrase this a little better: I am looking for a decent, more recent recording of the same version of Carmen (often called the opera comique version), which is the only true version of the opera as far as I'm concerned, because it doesn't contain additional material by other composers and it doesn't have any cuts that were not made by Bizet before its first performance. The CD jackets, online descriptions, etc. usually omit this information -- probably because so many of them are digitally remastered versions of much older productions which are not the opera comique one.

As regards the jazz recordings -- the collection is still available on vinyl, which is my last resort. I am hoping to find a CD version of the individual numbers (preferably by the original artists) that was digitally remastered, or digitally re-recorded versions by newer artists that keep the original Dixieland feel. Any ideas?

Sidney Bechet - Muggsy Spamier Big Four playing "Thats a plenty" can be found at
    http://www.emusic.com/album/Sydney-B.../10589111.html
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Go Back to forum