• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RÍverie

RÍverie - new middle section

Originally my Prelude nr.8, but except some of them I withdrew them. Inspired my Maurice Ravel.

OK. dream nicely away, thinking of better times, a new car, the jackpot in the lottery, updates of this great Steinway, another computer system (Mac), Garritan Superb Strings, a new Strad and/or Gofriller, holidays in Spain, buying a new home for my son, ..... but those are just dreams.....

According to some the original middle section was a bit out of line. Walking along the "sunny side of the streets" in The Hague this afternoon my brain reset itself and this is the result. The original key was two flats, but instead of G-minor it is now Bb-major (for the most). I maintained the tempo and setting of the first and third part on purpose, but now our dreaming gets a bit more frivolous to return to that deep sleep (REM).

While listening don't fall asleep please.

RÍverie - new middle part

Last edited by Raymond62; 09-28-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: obeying the replies

Re: RÍverie

A very nice piece Raymond. The beginning really sets
    the mood. It has an "air" which kind of forces the listener
    into an introspective or reflective mood.

After the halfway point, I found the "ornamentation" a little
    rough. It was a nice change of pace, but the melodic content
    seemed less creative than the beginning. Maybe a change of
    a few pitches can make this more in keeping with the introductory

Great piano, Raymond. Liked the tone and volume level.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Dublin, Ireland

Raymond - you sustain a nice relaxed atmosphere in the opening and closing sections of this piece. Ravel comes to mind, notably the G major concerto slow movement, and there is a little Satie there, I think, too. I find the Ravel influence creeping into some of my own pieces, he had such an attractive pianistic style, and could mesmerise the listener with his harmonic sense.
    I found the middle section a little less satisfactory - perhaps it needs to reach more of a climax, which would have provided a better contrast to the last section where the opening mood returns. Anyway that's just my opinion for what it's worth. I liked some of the harmonic effects you got in the accompaniment.
    I look forward to hearing some more of your preludes.

Eugene and Jack

Thank you for your comments. Both replies mentioned to do something about that middle section. I am not sure. Anyway I uploaded a slightly different version. Only some accompaniment chords are altered and some accents are different. That mid section puzzles me. I can re-write it completely, but I must not turn this "Tršumerei/RÍverie" into a nightmare, because of that dynamically midsection.

I have to re-think this..... and since my brain is not working at full speed.. it can last some days, if you don't mind.

A pleasing rÍverie, Raymond; especially listened to in
    the quiet of an early autumn night.

I agree the center section might benefit from a second
    look -- but the fundamentals are there; it's more a matter
    of refinement than revision, perhaps?

All the best,

David Sosnowski

I agree with David that a refinement would work well with the middle section.

This has a Nocturn feel to it, but that might be because I am still half-asleep.

Well done

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

See original EDITED message.

Raymond - zzzzzzz!!!!

Shelton, Washington State

Yes, I think the middle works better. Sure it has it's own pace but it's good to slow down the mind once in a while and just follow the music.

Do you think there is also a little jazz feel to this?

I liked it!

That was very enjoyable. Ravel's Piano Concerto in G is a favorite of mine, so I appreciated the inspiration.

I'd love to play this - you don't happen to have it notated, do you?

I heard the two versions, and I like the first original version better and find it more interesting.

To me this piece sounds more like Satie...

It has a very pleasant and soothing effect.

Thanks for posting.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast