• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere videos should be available to all

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere videos should be available to all

Hi..Fan of Spectrsonics,but the video tutorials seem to be only for registered users..This is not a good approach as I see it..As a fan I mention this only so others can see and hear the potential available..Audio demos are not nearly as powerful as the videos posted today..So I petition Spectrasonics to open the videos to anyone who wishes to watch them...It can only be a most positive thing to do so..JON

Re: Omnisphere videos should be available to all

I think that among some other issues (like the draw for users to have exclusive perks), bandwidth could potentially be a major issue. Having hosted audio files on a website, I have seen how things can get out of hand when large files are made available to everyone, it would cost a lot to maintain a website that required that much bandwidth.

Plus, given the cost outlay of the product...why not make it available only to people who have taken the plunge and bought it. I don't mind it at all. I have seen other sites do this with manuals and the like...only registered users can get them. Seems totally acceptable to me.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Hi..Not true= youtube... What you're saying is like someone wanting to sell you a car..BUT you can't see it or drive it until you buy it...Not much in way of valid points there L.. I don't see anything wrong with additional videos being exclusive to registered users..BUT I truely feel theese videos would have nothing short of a massive positive impact for those wishing to know more..And hey why not break some imaginary mold..Creativity and innovation are the main reasons I've waited over a year and a half for this to be brought forth..Does any of this help understand in any better sense of my post ?? Hope so..JON

As to it being for people taking the plunge,there would be many more if the videos were avaiable..And no I don't want to feel like I'm in some exclusive club..Not down on that kind of vibe.

I mean no disrespect with my response,at times the printed word is not as powerful in immediate meanings as well as inflection..

I guess I may be leaning on some things mentioned by The E-man..

I seem to recall the notion of indeed we encourage people to share their patches (yet there is no area on the Spectrsonics site to do just that,,Seems the obvious place for that to me.)..Yet you can only watch the videos if you have spent money on a product that has no real explanation..For the faithful among us..We just buy in good faith and are rewarded in kind..

The notion of sharing,but wait,not sharing is somewhat strange to me..

Also keep in mind this is a $499 purchase for some..Lots of dough to spend on something that has had little real exsposure in almost all ways..Logic Pro8 Studio is $499..And offers much more than a simple plugin can on any day of the week..So $499 can be something not just thrown around without some merit..

Hate to say it but it is true..It takes money to make money..Years of developement with only videos avaiable for those who "took the plunge" Ain't gonna do it..An item like this also may run the risk of becoming an item that is special order only and not stocked on the shelves due to no one being totally ramped and amped about it..The release will hopefully gain a momentum of it's own..But to my limited knowledge there seemed more the previous owners of atmo.s to be the keenest on buying..I don't get any sense of interest from many not in the know..More so the reason to let people see and hear what can be done on a real user's level as oppsosed to a commercial for a product of this depth and weight..

I'm sure once the mag.s and such start to yagger on about it it will swell and swell..I can't see any reason why not,except for the heavy CPU hit and the streaming,not being an easy item to tackle ..The DFD
    in the NI stuff seems much more efficient at present..

I'm just babling at this point,so need to STF up..LOL...JON

Quote Originally Posted by jonkuzma View Post
    Does any of this help understand in any better sense of my post ?
    Not really Jon. The try before you buy way of purchasing a car or guitar does not apply to most software unless it is a demo mode deal. How many of those have you found to be truly special? Izotope stuff maybe.

I understand what you are saying and I have no problem with it, I think it is a kind suggestion.

The other side of the coin for me, is that Spectrasonics has been working on this for 6 years! That is a long time. Add in all the Intel folks who have been upset about Atmosphere and Trilogy not working on their latest Mac during this process also.....it must have been a frustrating time for them in some areas.

So now Omnisphere is out and it truly is a special piece of software...you have it so you know. So why not at least for the time being make support only available to registered owners.....it makes it easier for them to access the video's without everyone and their cousin trying to download it and I am sure it keeps a bit of the mystique of it, maybe even make it a tad more difficult for people who get the software by some other method other than buying it....don't know if that is possible with the registration method.

I don't know if what I am saying means exclusive club or whatever, but I get your point about that.

Just my viewpoint....I was not just wanting to be argumentative with you.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

I hear what you are saying, but there are a couple points. The first is that youtube has garbage sound and there is no way that Spectrasonics wants their gloriously rich sounding patches played over youtube encoding. Part of what keeps youtube going is keeping their file sizes incredibly small, they are no where near the quality of the demos on Spectrasonics website. Plus, I'd imagine that it wont be long before you start seeing plenty of youtube demos of Omni from random users, crappy sound and all.

Plus, a ton of people already have Trilogy and RMX, they can watch it, and those that don't, it's kind of like saying, hey, give one of our products a shot. Then you are in our club and you can check everything else out. I think that some of the brilliance in the products that is uncovered by the videos isn't really done justice until you are used to the way Spectrasonics products work. People might kind of breeze through the videos, thinking "yeah, that's pretty cool," and kind of brush it off, but when you actually do it yourself and see how everything works it can be pretty mind blowing comparatively.

You are right that it takes money to make money here, but I think that spending more cash on server bandwidth for those insane enough to be on the fence about Omnisphere, it's just not worth it. Word of mouth is gonna sell this puppy like no one has ever seen, I have no doubt in my mind.

Nothing comes close in terms of features other than maybe something like NI Komplete, and that is a) Much harder to learn b)Not nearly as intuitive and user friendly c) Doesn't sound as good IMO (Not even close, particularly based on presets) d) Much more expensive. And speaking of Logic, I'd take Omnisphere over every single synth and effect that comes with logic any day, no question. Really, logic's only strong suit is its MIDI seqencing, editing and routing.

For the amount of money, time and development that went into this project (you could go as far as including the R&D that went into the original gear that Spectrasonics used for the samples), $499 is literally giving this away,
    something like this could never be available for a price like this in the days of hardware. If you look at things from a certain point of view, we are very blessed to even have this as a tool on any level.

Thunder, I agree with most of what you wrote, except "Really, logic's only strong suit is its MIDI seqencing, editing and routing."

Logic's software instruments are quite good, and Sculpture is totally amazing, if you take the time to learn it.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

There will be more promotional videos and audio demos available for the general public of course.

We just focused on the instructional videos for users first.

The tutorials are just for end users, the same way we did it for RMX. It's part of the support for the instrument.

And yes...of course site bandwidth is an issue. We are doing over a terrabyte per day already now on the site, and you can imagine what that would increase to if we allowed the 11 hours of tutorials to be available to the general public.

More media is obviously needed for potential customers to make an informed purchasing decision, but that kind of video needs to be produced a different way.

We're working on it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    Logic's software instruments are quite good, and Sculpture is totally amazing, if you take the time to learn it.
    Indeed! One of our favorites here.

In fact, we used Sculpture to create some of the custom physical modeling soundsources in the Omnisphere Core Library.

Do a search for "Sculpture" in the Soundsource Browser and you can check them out! :-)

I was just going to reply and say "yeah, sculpture is obviously pretty good, as Eric uses it for tons of his sound sources," and its true, Logic has some great features beyond MIDI. And it's particularly cool for sound design applications. I guess I think of Omni as being so much better because you don't have to work for it nearly as hard to get a good sound. There is some powerful stuff under Logic's hood, but truly letting those synths shine takes some serious skills, where with Omni, it's probably harder to get something that doesn't sound good

Go Back to forum