• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tribute to Jobim (Guitar & Piano bossa)

Share/Bookmark

Tribute to Jobim (Guitar & Piano bossa)

Hi everyone. This time i´m going to share something quite different. In first place is a sequence (i almost never make them). I made it with Sonar, and uses the Garritan Steinway in Player perspective (a perspective that i had not used) and a sample acoustic guitar from Yellow Tools. I used too another instruments. In second place, i go to a different time, the 60´s with a "groovy" jazzy bossa nova. Is a very short piece. I´d like to know your opinions.

http://rapidshare.com/files/14924414...im__fixed_.mp3

PD: this is a new version following the advices that gave to me.

Victor

Re: Tribute to Jobim (Guitar & Piano bossa)

Very nice - very smooth. I'm really wanting to hear an acoustic bass on the bottom, though, and the vibes are a nice touch of atmoshpere. In terms of the sequence, the timing of the guitar and piano is a little too loose for my taste. If you could move more of the notes closer to the 8th note feel I think that would make things even better. I realize you need to maintain the strums, etc., but the overall timing of even those can be tightened up some.

When I'm doing strums in Sonar, I play in my chords as block chords, quantized, and then I use a CAL routine called "strumit" (or something close to that) which lets me create brief arpeggiations or strums. It works pretty well.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Victor:

Another very nice piano rendition. I would have to agree with
    bmdaustin that a little tightening up would really make this a
    super track.

The Player Perspective sounds wonderful, but, in reality, I like
    your playing better on the Close and Under the Lid perspectives.
    It seems to me that when one plays "lightly" with any perspective
    loaded you get a better piano tone quality. Have you found this
    to be true or is it just me?.........lol

A great track, Victor

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Victor

Lovely playing as I have come to expect.

I do find it funny that between rapidshares wait time and slow download speed, it took me 3 times as long to start to listen to this than the piece was long.

Nice work as always.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    I do find it funny that between rapidshares wait time and slow download speed, it took me 3 times as long to start to listen to this than the piece was long.
    Ups! I apologize Ron, i forgot to set the direct download. It is fixed now.

Thanks bmdaustin for your words. A friend told me the same about use a bass, i could add it later. About the strum, i recorded the guitar playing it myself, but hearing the metronome. I didn´t want to use any special function later because i always fear that it could rest naturalness. But i recognize that i´m not usually inmersed in this sequence world and this recomendations are very useful for me.

Hi Jack, i´m glad you liked it. This time i wanted to change the style. I studied jazz too, and mix bossa nova with jazz is something that i enjoy a lot.

Ron thanks again for your words and i´m pleased you liked it. The next time i´ll be aware of the direct download.

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    It seems to me that when one plays "lightly" with any perspective
    loaded you get a better piano tone quality. Have you found this
    to be true or is it just me?.........lol
    Jack, about your question i always have liked to know how many different dynamic layers has the Garritan Steinway. I can get the difference in tone quality in several dynamics but i miss a richness and color nuances that is very characteristic and i´ve heard in many steinways i´ve played in the pp-mp range. For this reason i use the soft pedal (that has a wonderful sound) in order to obtain a wider color range.

Ivorys have 16 layers, sampletekk TBO and Seven Seas have 31. How many Garritan Steinway has? Because i have looked for this and i have not found the answer.

Bmdaustin and Jack, i followed your advices and fixed the piece. Now it has a counterbass and the strum is better syncrhonized. Thank you because is much better now. This is the new link (i replaced the original too in my first post):

http://rapidshare.com/files/14924414...im__fixed_.mp3

Victor

Very smooth and suave. Really enjoyed this!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

It sounds good and floats right along.

Tasteful piano with a nice touch.

Phil

Much mo betta! You could even turn the bass up some more and possibly drop some parts an octave (still keeping the notes on the instrument, though). I couldn't hear enough to tell clearly, but you'll get more foundation to the sound if the bass is in its lower octave or so. You can go down to the third E below the piano's middle C. Also, I can't tell exactly, but the vibes might need a little tightening up, too. It really is magical how a good bossa nova or samba can literally feel lighter than air.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast