• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: ^^^on the edge^^^

Share/Bookmark

^^^on the edge^^^

Hi everyone,

As you may or may not know, I have my own business as a landscape designer and Spring and Autumn are extremely hectic for me. Hard enough to catch my breath, let alone, compose. But this fall I’ve decided to force myself to take 30 minutes every night and work on composing.

I’m trying to expand my creative output to orchestral writing and this is my first stab at it in a long, long time. It’s for strings only, no brass, woodwinds, or percussion. Keep it simple~(So, I thought!) Wanted to practice string part writing and rendering. The piece is pretty inconsequential. It's really just a study sketch for strings; and I didn’t really have enough time to render it properly, but I felt I needed to post something to let you know I’m still around and that I haven’t forgotten you guys.

The strings are 95% GOS. The solo violin and a few aggressive attacks weren’t in that library so I had to go elsewhere for those samples. I know this library is starting to show its age, but I don’t really possess a new string library yet. I did get GPO a couple months ago, but I haven’t had time to play with it yet. I bought GOS about seven years ago and was going to start orchestral composition then, but my life kind of felt apart for a few years and I had to set music completely aside until last year when I bought a grand piano, (on E-bay , which was brought to me by the sellers in a double wide horse trailer, replete with one horse,…. for balance of the trailer I guess…) anyway, the piano reunited me with the love of music again. Now if I can only get the straw and that funny smell out from between dem keys. LOL

So, that’s it for now. I’ll be back in December, so until then, I hope all your creative spirits shine brightly!

Cass

ON THE EDGE

Re: ^^^on the edge^^^

Cass

The GOS still sounds great. Michael, who will probably get to this one, also still uses them and makes them shine as well.

I really didn't think we would hear anything from you until winter. I know how busy the fall can be as well in landscaping.

I am very happy you decided to force yourself to take those 30 minutes each night. This piece is fantastic!!!

This has a non-russian Shostakovich feel to it. Light.... and yet dark and moody as well.

Very nice!!!

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hey Cass,

Ron is correct - i use them. I honestly feel that they are better than the GPO strings.

When I set out to write for the violin section I have 3 staffs for 1st violins. Each staff is 3 separate types: Sustain, Detached, and the KS (Key switch) violin. On the KS staff I can switch from 5 to 6 other violin articulations with the use of a KS note. So, my violins are set to play about 10 different ways - articulations.

Sorry for the "blog" ... It's rare to find another GOS user.

This piece is very refined and "articulate". I can hear those wonderful Marcato accents. Very neo-romantic and expressive! You do make the GOS shine!

Great job!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Very skillful use of the strings. A great sound and mix.

It's good to hear about your new piano.

When I was a kid we got our piano out of an abandoned house because my father suffered from (the)depression shock. The old woman who had lived there rode her white horse into town naked with her long hair flowing in the breeze. Apparently she was little unbalanced.

Have fun!

Phil

Cass:

Great to hear from you again. We have really missed your music.

Your string composition is really great. It is a "dead ringer" for
    any kind of suspenseful, cinematic application. Sounds like a
    score from a "Hitchcock" movie (and he had the best written
    for him).

Very fine effects with GOS and your melodies are so very lyrical.
    So finely engineered for strings.

Loved the whole thing and the music more than aptly described
    its title.

BRAVO, Cass

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Cass, I envy you having the GOS. It is a great piece.And an unusual placement of the instruments, I liked that. I gave the piece more dimension.
    Come back soon.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Cass

I really didn't think we would hear anything from you until winter. I know how busy the fall can be as well in landscaping.

I am very happy you decided to force yourself to take those 30 minutes each night. This piece is fantastic!!!

This has a non-russian Shostakovich feel to it. Light.... and yet dark and moody as well.

Very nice!!!

Ron
    Ron,

Thanks for the kind remarks, it’s really appreciated since this is kind of a new direction for me. I find the 30-minute-music-break per night has really helped calm down the frenetic pace I have to endure this time of year.

You are so “right on”. After I completed it and really had a chance to sit back and listen to it, Shostakovich did come to mind, but the overall feeling was not. I like your analogy of a NON-Russian Shostakovich…perfect comment on what I was feeling! I also have enjoyed your music of late too. I just don’t have time to respond to so much of the wonderful music coming out of this forum. That will change this winter. Thanks again Ron, for taking time out to comment.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Hey Cass,

When I set out to write for the violin section I have 3 staffs for 1st violins. Each staff is 3 separate types: Sustain, Detached, and the KS (Key switch) violin. .. It's rare to find another GOS user.

Great job!

M
    Michael,

Thanks so much for the instructional training tips on how to use GOS. I knew there had to be a better/easier way than what I was doing, which was to use a ga-zillion patch changes per instrument. At some points I had to use 20 patch changes for the violin for just a 30 second line. Can we say Laborious ! It didn’t occur to me to use 3-lines per instrument for legato, detache, and KS articulations. What a time saver. Thanks so much for that insight!

It’s nice to know that there is another fellow composer on this forum using GOS. I admit I haven’t heard your music yet, so I”ll look it up and take a listen during the next few nights since I’m taking a break from composing at this point.

Thanks again!!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Very skillful use of the strings. A great sound and mix.

It's good to hear about your new piano.

When I was a kid we got our piano out of an abandoned house because my father suffered from (the)depression shock. The old woman who had lived there rode her white horse into town naked with her long hair flowing in the breeze. Apparently she was little unbalanced.

Have fun!

Phil
    Phil,

That’s quite a story!! When I first looked in the horse trailer, I saw the piano, then the horse, but alas, sans naked lady with long hair. Whether your lady was unbalanced or not, her materializing in the trailer would have definitely caused the trailer to be unbalanced---in weight that is, so it all makes sense now. …LOL.

Anyway, thanks for the supportive comments. When you work on a piece for a long time, it’s really hard to be unbiased as to the end result. So, comments like yours really do help!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Cass:

Great to hear from you again. We have really missed your music.

Your string composition is really great. It is a "dead ringer" for
    any kind of suspenseful, cinematic application. Sounds like a
    score from a "Hitchcock" movie (and he had the best written
    for him).

Jack
    Jack,

Thanks for those heart-felt, uplifting words. I never really feel I’m contributing all that much here, seeing that most of my music is old-school stuff. But if it makes someone smile or brightens their day, then that motivates me to write more. I really enjoy sharing music and I love this forum for that reason.

The film industry is growing by leaps and bounds around Albuquerque. I know I should consider getting involved with it because I have several friends who are , and one, an assistant director, is always trying to get me to submit music. But, I don’t know if I could actually write music that has to fit into time slots, or if I would even enjoy it. It might take away the joy I get from composing. I guess I should try it at least once, to see if it’s something for me or not.

As always Jack, thanks for you comments and insight.

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast