• Register
  • Help

Topic: PC with GS seems to freeze or crash often when waking up from a sleep

Share/Bookmark

PC with GS seems to freeze or crash often when waking up from a sleep

I\'m using a dedicated PC for Giga. It seems pretty stable so far but my computer seems to freeze or crash when it wakes up from a sleep !!! comments/suggestions ???
    I have a Pentium III 550, 196 Mb Ram, Soundscape Mixtreme, 2 x 13.5 Gb 7200RPM Quantum ATA-66, Win 98 SE basic install with no customization.

Re: PC with GS seems to freeze or crash often when waking up from a sleep

Go to Control Panel, Power Management, and change the three settings to:

Alway On
    Never
    Never

No more sleep!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Go to Control Panel, Power Management, and change the three settings<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This may not be enough. You may also have to go into the CMOS and turn power management off. Try the above suggestions first, and if that does not do the trick, then check in the CMOS area.

When working with digital audio, it is always recommended to have this stuff turned off, IMHO.

Lawrence

Will this harm the hard disk if you set \" Turn off HD \" to Never ???
    I also rarely never turn my computer off. How can I manually put the computer to sleep when I take a break or do you guys suggest leaving it on at all the time with Power settings to Never ?? Thanks

Well, if your system crashes when it wakes up, why would you want to put it to sleep?

It\'s OK to let it run, although a waste of electricity. Why not just power down if you won\'t be using it for more that a couple of hours?

Bill,

I tried your suggestions but I guess Loghheed is right , you must disable it in the CMOS for it to work proprerly. My reason for not turning my computer off is because when i\'m working on a BIG project, it\'s a REAL pain to reboot everytime you want to take a break since it takes a looooong time to reload a big session.
    On my Mac, i disable the power management completely and I put it to sleep manually when I\'m taking a break, is there a similar feature on the PC ????

Go Back to forum