• Register
  • Help

Topic: Library suggestions for small brass ensemble please!

Share/Bookmark

Library suggestions for small brass ensemble please!

Hi all,

I'm about to do a kid's radio series here in the UK for the BBC, something I'm very interested in as I love radio. The scripts I've seen would lend themselves to a small brass ensemble for incidental music, with the British northern traditional brass band tradition very much in mind, but with a real quirky harmonic and melodic twist.

Needless to say, being radio, budget is an issue, but I'll use a live trombonist and all the fun opportunities that gives me, 'The Trumpet' will be a great help in higher registers, but what would any of you suggest in terms of dry, but very expressive lower brass instrument libraries?

Ideally I'd like the guys to come up with a 'The Trumpet' version of tubas (sorry snorlax) and Eb horns and the like, but failing that what do you suggest?

Many thanks in anticipation...

Barrie

(P.S. sorry to disturb everyone when they're playing with their new Omnispheres)

Re: Library suggestions for small brass ensemble please!

Hi Barrie,

Not sure if this will help you but I once had to conjure up the sound of a Salvation Army band (on next to no budget) to accompany some archive footage in a wartime documentary for the BBC.

I experimented with Melodyne for this little excerpt and had my Trumpet playing friend play each line for me. I ended up with a very usable range of brass timbres, from Tenor Horn to Tuba. I think it helped that live trumpets were taking the top line and also I think it works much better having a higher pitched instrument transformed to a low one, rather than vice-versa.

Otherwise, I think my first choice would be VSLs Brass Libraries - you may find it cheaper to pick the ones you need from the download section on their website.

I'm sure you are aware that Garritan also have a Marching Band offering which incorporates all the instruments you are likely to need - but I can't vouch for it, as I don't have it - probably good enough for kid's radio though.

Anyway, some ideas to get you started.

Good luck with the project.

Colin

Hi Barrie,

Hmm ... awkward to send a link here but if you go to another popular forum and search for Free Brass Instrument you'll probably find links for both a free Cornet and Euphonium, both recorded in traditional brass band style.

Hope that helps.

regards

James

Thanks Colin,

nice to see a name that rings a bell, though how dare you suggest that 'good enough for kid's radio' would be anything but the best!
    Actually I'm very serious about that, if I do kid's telly I really do always try to use top quality sounds and techniques - God knows, kids live in the same world as us and hear the same music as we do, I'd hate to patronise them!
    It's a starry cast and I want it to be top notch - hence asking for suggestions for expressive and realistic libraries good enough to be used in exposed situations.
    I didn't want to prejudge anything but I thought VSL would be a hot tip! Thanks for that Colin.

James, thanks for your suggestion - I went where I thought you might have meant but couldn't find anything other than links to WIVI.. OK if I pm you?

Anyone else got some blinding ideas?

best

Barrie Bignold

Broadway Big Band-by far the best.

These are what bluejay meant:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zjb1zlnxyyn (cornet)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?xc3jjd40ty2 (euphonium)

http://www.scoringfilm.co.uk/audio/Andante.mp3 (audio example - Tchiakovsky Andante )

Quote from Justin M - the one you should thank for these freebies!:

"A while back I started a project to record British Brass Band instruments. As a way of saying thanks to all the advice I have had from this forum here are two Kontakt 2 instruments for free. This is one velocity layer and one articulation (short sus vib) but if you listen to the audio example these are the two solo instruments used (Cornet and Euph) which are still quite playable:

The script has Humanise, Solo Mode with auto legato, auto TKT (RepBPM sets the trigger speed) and Ensemble Mode with up to 7 players. (n.b. CC#117 is used by the script).

I realise that soft tongue technique and lots of vibrato is not to everyones taste but don't complain about the price"

/Johnny

drjohnny79

you are such a star for posting those links - many thanks!

Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by artsoundz View Post
    Broadway Big Band-by far the best.
    Hi artsoundz, thanks for this suggestion - a good one, but I probably could only use the trumpets and the tenor trombone, and I'm already using a live trombonist. I'm still on the lookout for lower brass, tenor Eb horn, tuba, that sort of thing (sorry snorlax again!).

best

Barrie

Hi Barry - I'm glad you could use these samples. I actually sampled all instruments (Eb Horn, Troms, Basses included) but never got round to editing the samples.

Justin (the creator of the above!)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Matthews View Post
    Hi Barry - I'm glad you could use these samples. I actually sampled all instruments (Eb Horn, Troms, Basses included) but never got round to editing the samples.

Justin (the creator of the above!)
    Hi Justin,

haven't actually started this project yet, I'm still finishing others, but I did download the cornet and euphonium. Interestingly neither would open in stuffit (error message) but 'UnRarX sorted that.
    I particularly love the tone of the euphonium - as you said somewhere else a very British sound, very mellow and mellifluous! I think I will be able to use it, it will also make a great melody instrument.
    I haven't had time to install the VSL brass, I'm hoping to be able to make up a small ensemble that will be quirky, charming and funny at various times.
    Justin, thanks again for making these available. If I am able to use them I'd be happy to make a donation of some sort.

best wishes

Barrie Bignold

Go Back to forum