• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Summary to the mother of all discussion: Orchestral sample libs

Share/Bookmark

Summary to the mother of all discussion: Orchestral sample libs

Yes, I don't want to drag that one out of the grave again, I just couldn't help myself from trying to summarize all those threads into this:
    When it comes to virtual orchestra sample libs;

EWQSL is the classic, perhaps somewhat outdated (2004).
    Vienna VSL is the primary challenger (with others), to take over the scene.
    Garritan GPO is the entry-level, bang-for-buck full orchestra.

Or?

Cheers;
    LC

Re: Summary to the mother of all discussion: Orchestral sample libs

Quote Originally Posted by lastcrusader View Post
    Yes, I don't want to drag that one out of the grave again, I just couldn't help myself from trying to summarize all those threads into this:
    When it comes to virtual orchestra sample libs;

Or?

Cheers;
    LC
    A lot here will not wish to revisit this topic as it's been discussed so much over time.

There are many great orchestral bundles, EWQL is far, far from being outdated BTW.

What is important is what you wish to do with a library.

VSL is an outstanding product, even the Special Edition that you can pick up for around $420.
    It does lean toward a more classical palette unlike EWQL that is geared toward Hollywood stlye film scoring with a big sound.

Some products that give great value for money are-

Miroslav Philharmonik
    VSL SE
    Kirk Hunter Emerald or Ruby
    EWQLSO Gold bundle

These range from $350-650 and are all professional sounding libraries.
    IF in the right hands.

Tell us what you wish to do and what sort of equipment/computers/software you have.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

....a dust bunny rolled clumsily by. Somewhere in the distance a lone wolf bayed at the moon....

Seriously though, as you've said, the thread has been done a lot! And there never has been a consensus, other than 'It depends what you want to do with it.'

EWQLSO is far from being the classic (and I believe it came out slightly after VSL). I've never used it, but it seems that it is the option for those who want a Hollywood sound from the box. Whereas VSL seems to have the edge in realism, and a better 'Classical' sound.

And don't be fooled by the 'entry point' label applied to GPO. There have been some very, very realistic mixes done with it.
    David

Well.
    I have a vague feeling that dustbunny will never settle.
    I should have known better; I have drowsily attempted to follow a few of those OrchLib-threads, but NO; none of them seem to come to a consensus. It almost always takes off on how somebody's particular experience forms their opinions, and the mantra emerges time and again:

It all depends on who you are and what you want to do with it.

ME, for my part, I am not sure what I want to do with it eventually/after this: RIGHT NOW, I have a 2-3min animated movie planned, that needs a soundtrack with some impact. I am writing the script/storyboard and pretty much in control of the action, so I am allowed to plan ahead. Which is a blessing, since time is very scarce.

It's a kind of an action-style teaser/trailer thing. There will be speed, power, thunder/lightning and crumbling rocks, some magic, all mixed together with a dash of futurism to top it off. So, I am thinking big drums, rhythmically jagging strings, horns, metals, belltree perhaps, harp and some synth.

So, of course I'm in the market for tips.
    I own Evolve, Logic and some synth stuff. Some orchestra is in order
    My own conclusion from the other threads would be EWQSL or GPO. There may be others but these get a lot of mention.
    It's not gonna write the track for me, and it comes out of my own pocket.
    NO I don't know how to write orchestral scores. But it's a trailer, and I'm gonna try

Cheers!

Well.
    I have a vague feeling that dustbunny will never settle.
    I should have known better; I have drowsily attempted to follow a few of those OrchLib-threads, but NO; none of them seem to come to a consensus. It almost always takes off on how somebody's particular experience forms their opinions, and the mantra emerges time and again:

It all depends on who you are and what you want to do with it.

ME, for my part, I am not sure what I want to do with it eventually/after this: RIGHT NOW, I have a 2-3min animated movie planned, that needs a soundtrack with some impact. I am writing the script/storyboard and pretty much in control of the action, so I am allowed to plan ahead. Which is a blessing, since time is very scarce.

It's a kind of an action-style teaser/trailer thing. There will be speed, power, thunder/lightning and crumbling rocks, some magic, all mixed together with a dash of futurism to top it off. So, I am thinking big drums, rhythmically jagging strings, horns, metals, belltree perhaps, harp and some synth.

So, of course I'm in the market for tips.
    I own Evolve, Logic and some synth stuff. Some orchestra is in order
    My own conclusion from the other threads would be EWQSL or GPO.
    It's not gonna write the track for me, and it comes out of my own pocket.
    NO I don't know how to write orchestral scores. But it's a trailer, and I'm gonna try

Cheers!
    OK, here's your options.

Forget VSL. It's way too complex at your level and not the sound you want anyway.

GPO is capable of some amazing compositions even though it was never geared toward the professional composer.
    The big advantage of GPO is the huge following and support it offers.
    There are tutorials galore out there and your financial outlay is very low for what you get.
    Like ALL libraries you have to invest some time to at least learn the basics of Midi orchestration.

May I recommend a book for you. "The Guide to Midi Orchestration" by Paul Gilreath. make sure it's the third edition.
    This is a great book that you really need but it's about $60. Get this now! before you buy a library.

Your other options are-

GPO is about $250
    Miroslav Philharmonik is about $400
    Kirk Hunter Emerald. $300 aprox.
    EWQLSO Silver bundle $300 or so

If I had to recommend one only I would say GPO.

Go google the webpages and listen to all the demos.
    Let me know what you think.

OK,
    thanks a lot for your to-the-point reply.
    There are a lot of demos for GPO, almost too many; they should have a handful of primary ones to showcase the library. I am looking for movietrailer-style stuff right now. If anyone knows a good example amongst the hundreds, feel free to let me know.

Thanks, and all the best.

OK,
    thanks a lot for your to-the-point reply.
    There are a lot of demos for GPO, almost too many; they should have a handful of primary ones to showcase the library. I am looking for movietrailer-style stuff right now. If anyone knows a good example amongst the hundreds, feel free to let me know.

Thanks, and all the best.
    You can select the style from the main demo page, there's hollywood demos there for ya. Goo Luck.

I noticed that column, yes, and found a few. Not convinced yet.
    This may prove to be a time-consuming decision, since I must realize exactly what it is that I am looking for, what is important (mic positions, articulations, etc.) I'll dig around for a while.

Cheerio!

I noticed that column, yes, and found a few. Not convinced yet.
    This may prove to be a time-consuming decision, since I must realize exactly what it is that I am looking for, what is important (mic positions, articulations, etc.) I'll dig around for a while.

Cheerio!
    Demos are good but don't tell the whole story.
    VSL for example sounds great party because most experienced users apply Altiverb Reverb with it as it's core sounds are so dry.
    That program alone is another $500 or so.

Sample libraries can be made to sound different/better by experienced users, in your case what you need to do is find one that has all the basics, including articulations along with tons of support.

GPO is still the way to go and there are hundreds of user demos for that product, both here and at the website.
    Look, it's a no brainer at the cost.
    I'd pay double considering the support for the product and believe me there's no one out there that does support better than Gary......

[

[/quote]

What I would like to know is what is the real difference between platinum and Gold EWQLSO editions? Are there more included articulations in the Platinum edition? I'm looking to make the leap (pardon the pun) and fork out for this. I'm prepared to go the platinum route if it is way better than gold. Any opinions?

I write mostly contemporary classical stuff if that helps.

I'd love some input

Thanks
    Jill

Go Back to forum