• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pro Tools users.

Share/Bookmark

Pro Tools users.

Hi there,

Wanted to let me fellow PT users know that Omnisphere works fairly well. Load times are pretty fast and the software is about 70% stable. (It behaves very much like "Guru" "BFD" or most of the East West "Play" stuff. Just a little unpredictable.)

I'm running a Mac Pro Quad 3.0, 4GB Ram, PT 7.4.2 HD 3 Accel with nearly every V.I. made.

As an experiment, I also tried to wrap (fxpansion VST2RTAS) the plug but it seems to operate identically to the 'wrapped' plug that comes with the Omnisphere installer.

I will say that the sounds are absolutely, outrageously astoundingly great.

I'll post more info as my experience with the plug progresses.

Re: Pro Tools users.

Is Omnisphere corrupting my DAE preferences?

I've had way more than usual "DAE Error -1122" when opening ProTools (or DP under DAE). It's not too traumatic, since I can run the Preference delete and restore utility, but it's only been happening since I installed Omnisphere.

Any other users finding this?

JD

thanks. when you say 70% stable does it crash protools 30% of the time or is it other small things that don't work?

Primarily it will cause PT to stop working or you get the spinning beach ball for a short while. I've had the transport stop working. I've been able to quit PT without crashing.

Also, there seems to be no problems if you're just running one patch. It's the multi sounds/setups that are causing issues although according to the usage meter in PT the load is rather light on the CPU.

I will say thought that unlike the "Play" stuff, it's worth suffering through the glitches as Omnisphere has great sounds that are very inspirational.

I also tried the VST version using Ugly VST...the sounds load very slow. The sounds in PT load very fast. go figure?

It sounds like PT is stopping your transport when it encounters a transient cpu overload (one too brief to register on the cpu meter). IIRC there's a playback engine setting that instructs PT to ignore cpu overloads. Maybe check to make sure it's set to ignore?

- Glenn

In the same section as where you set the buffer setting, Playback settings,....check "Ignore RTAS errors"......or whatever it says.

Make absolutely sure you have ALL qualified plug-in's.....go through the list if you have not done so already.

A non compatible plug in will make your life a misery with Tools.

It is easy too as you might upgrade the PT version and now one or more plug in's are not qualified.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Ignore RTAS errors is checked. Every one of my plugs is the latest version and are all PT 7.4 qualified. I learned a long time ago that one bad plug can cause lots of problems. Luckily in PT8 you can check all plugs automatically. This will save us all a lot of time.

Yeah Ron PT8......I like the way the controls look, and that you can move them around where you wanrt them.....I like all the new MIDI stuff, the notation...yada yada....I am not so sure I like the look of the interface though.....it has a cross between Logic and Garage Band look to me at first glance.

Of course at $149 the extra 16 tracks are attractive....I know I will get it....wonder how buggy it is going to be?
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Well I saw it last Thursday at Digi and it crashed (mac had to be rebooted) 3 times in an hour while performing very basic functions.

I'll probably wait a few weeks until they have 8.1cs1 or cs2.

The UI is going to really take some getting used to.

I made the mistake back in PT6 of going to PT7 too soon. My version of PT6 was solid as a rock and I ended up with crashing and stuff.

I now have 7.4 very stable......I am with you ....I'll buy but not install. I still have not installed the Leopard version and 7.4.2. I have it all.....but I stayed on Tiger and 7.4 because it is solid and I hate spending time down trying to get stuff working while I could be doing the same.

Go Back to forum