• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonata in A minor - 4 Movements

Share/Bookmark

Sonata in A minor - 4 Movements

Hello Everyone,

I composed this piece over the past few years, originally for one harp, then two. I realized after a while that what I was writing couldn't actually be performed by a real harpist, although I loved the sound of the GPO harp playing what I had written. The piece is pretty simple harmonically, but I hope it would allow for a lot of expression in a live performance situation, none the less.

Over the past two days, I pulled out the old Finale files, and did some major sequencing and overhauled the last movement in particular, as well as the others, for piano. After finishing and taking a few listen-throughs, it was surprising to me to hear how much better this piece fit piano.

So, without further ado, I hope you enjoy my Sonata in A minor for Piano. It is in four short movements, and was rendered using Finale 2008's Human Playback (with a lot of expressions added in ) and the Garritan Personal Orchestra Version of the Steinway. Thanks for listening.

Movement I
    Movement II
    Movement III
    Movement IV

Re: Sonata in A minor - 4 Movements

That was an enjoyable listen. I particularly appreciated the rhythmic interplay in the 3rd movement. It sounds like it would be fun to play.

A suggestion: Have you considered using more modulations? My ear is hearing a lot of A minor. Even changing the overall key of the second and third movements could have a dramatic effect. Just a thought...

Thanks for posting this. It's obvious you have put a lot of work into it.

Regards
    Owen

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    That was an enjoyable listen. I particularly appreciated the rhythmic interplay in the 3rd movement. It sounds like it would be fun to play.

A suggestion: Have you considered using more modulations? My ear is hearing a lot of A minor. Even changing the overall key of the second and third movements could have a dramatic effect. Just a thought...

Thanks for posting this. It's obvious you have put a lot of work into it.

Regards
    Owen
    Thanks so much for listening! I think I am most pleased with how the 4th movement turned out. One day I'll try a live performance, haha.

I agree with your comment about modulation, and I also think you're correct about applying it to the second and third movements. The second could really use it (pounds out A minor the whole time except for a few brief measures of C major), and the third already contains a little (it beings in phrygian mode), but it should certainly go somewhere else besides A minor when it leaves phyrgian mode.

Thank you for your commentary! I'll look into what I'd like to do with modulation and post the results when I finish.

I fully support the comments of EnglishGent. Too much A minor. Can you fix the overall volume? It is a bit soft, I had to turn the volume knob of my mixer quite a lot. These pieces certainly have potential, but work on changing modulation. I am awaiting your fixes.....

greetings,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I fully support the comments of EnglishGent. Too much A minor. Can you fix the overall volume? It is a bit soft, I had to turn the volume knob of my mixer quite a lot. These pieces certainly have potential, but work on changing modulation. I am awaiting your fixes.....

greetings,

Raymond
    Thank you for your comments, Raymond! I entirely agree with both you and Owen about there being too much A minor. I know quite a bit more theory at this point, especially in terms of modulation, and I am excited to apply it to the piece.

Yes, I can certainly fix the volume level as well. I listen to things on a wide range of speakers using several devices, and so I am used to changing volume levels a lot, and I did not really catch that. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Thanks so much for listening and for your commentary!

There's still a lot of the original harp idiom in this (particularly
    the first movement); but on the overall, I think this works
    quite nicely on piano, as well... especially the tranquil
    second movement and it's gradual development into
    a passionate entreaty.

The third movement, I found the most intriguing, with
    almost a hint of Spanish flavor (likewise hinted again in
    the fourth).

I wonder, though, if you might want to reconsider this
    for harps. It's almost impossible to take this apart from
    the piano version -- but I think perhaps this would be
    quite doable with, say, a harp quartet...?

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum