• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Topic: WOT:vat question for Europeans

  1. #1

    WOT:vat question for Europeans

    I might be doing 2 concerts and a recording session in France as a part of a grant. Can anyone tell me if I pay VAT for things like studio time and/or paying the musicians for the concerts? I am really ignorant of how this VAT works.

    TIA for any help,


  2. #2

    Re: WOT:vat question for Europeans

    Basically, VAT is a TAX added to all goods and services and is charged at a percentage rate (in UK 17.5% except fuel which is 5%).

    If you live abroad, it is sometimes possible to claim back the tax paid when you leave, especially if you are not staying for a long period.

    You will pay the tax on hiring fees and musicians costs, but if you sell anything, like the recordings then you add the tax to your costs.

    Say you pay for studio time at $1000, UK tax would be $175. Make the recording and sell it for $2000, you get tax of $350 but only if you are registered, otherwise you just get $2000. If you charge the VAT you pay the govt, the amount charged less the amount spent. So VAT earned is £350 VAT paid out on job is $175, govt get $175. You always end up $175 down.

    You only need to register if you turn over over a certain amount in a year, currently £65000 in UK

    As you are unlikely to be registered, you only pay it and dont charge it. If you keep all receipts with VAT on them you may be able to claim it back when you leave Europe.

    Try the following Its UK but the principle is the same ands its not in French: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax..._PPC&cre=Money
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Go Back to forum


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts