• Register
  • Help

Topic: Big Band Study Scores?

Share/Bookmark

Big Band Study Scores?

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find big band arrangements to analyze? For orchestral music there are so many options but I haven't found anything for BB without having to buy an arrangement with parts.

Thanks,
    David

Re: Big Band Study Scores?

Quote Originally Posted by lesterbeat View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find big band arrangements to analyze? For orchestral music there are so many options but I haven't found anything for BB without having to buy an arrangement with parts.

Thanks,
    David
    I am fortunate to live 45 mins. from a major school of music, and that helps. Perhaps you live near a college with a music school.

Another successful strategy I have used is interlibrary loan. THink of a piece you want to study, go to your local library, and fill out an ILL form.
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Check out this product:

Original Big Band Sounds

It has lots of big band transcriptions that are nearly exact to the original recordings you'd hear on a record (well, CD or MP3 nowadays).

I have it and use it all the time to refer to if I want to get that authentic Big Band sound.

- Brian

You can also check Marinamusic.com- they have ome of the largest selections of published big band music out there, and most of the publishers do sell scores seperately.

Quote Originally Posted by lesterbeat View Post
    Hi,

Thanks,
    David
    Please contact me www.debbiecurtis.co.uk

Debbie Curtis Radio Big Band News Letter
    Featuring: Hobsons Choice Dancers and Re-Enactors
    London Palladium Review by Jim Kennedy
    Copyright: Encore Magazine : The Light Entertainment Magazine for the Theatre Professional

Eccentric Rhythmical Brilliance

I knew it was to be something special half way down London's Argyll Street, on route to the Palladium a classic American car with a ghetto-blaster fastened to the roof and parked right outside the main entrance to the world famous theatre, blared out Big Band Swing, setting the mood for the crowds that were gathering for the evening performance whilst extras kitted out in the clothing of this special musical era, happily mixed and mingled.

And if that scene setting cameo was to prove a hard act to follow, no one had told the band on show. Fronted by one of the UK's top (female) musical directors, DEBBIE CURTIS, her RADIO BIG BAND roared into their opening number - 'Hawaii 50' - with power and precision. Miss Curtis, however, takes some quite getting used to for her approach appears somewhat impulsive and spontaneous - even, it must be said, a trifle zany. She uses the full area of the stage, striding imperiously and conducting the orchestra by waving her arms around like a windmill in a gale. Her blonde locks cascade to her waist and she chatters away, inaudibly at times... even once admonishing one of the sax section for not paying attention to her spoken word. 'What did I just say?' she bellows at the unsuspecting musician. He looks suitably embarrassed but the moment passes in roars of laughter and it is obvious that the whole ensemble love her to bits. And before long, we do too. Pure camp...and how we respond!

The HOBSONS CHOICE DANCERS come on and off stage whenever a band arrangement induces a jive and the afore-mentioned RE-ENACTORS, showing off the wardrobe of the post war times, wander on and off willy-nilly, disconcertingly at first until you get used to it but, through it all, the band swing like crazy, carried away by the sheer joy of it all. Some wonderful arrangements including 'In the Mood', 'Heart & Soul', 'Brazillia' and 'Peanut Vendor' and including great solos from the brilliant GEOFF EALES (Piano), MARTIN SHAW (Trumpet), LEE HALLAM (Trombone), EDDIE MORDUE (Sax) and a quite superb drum sequence from stick man, BOB HOWARD.

Two guest vocalists contribute a great deal to the presentation - Scotland's IAIN EWING and, particularly, Norwegian star COREY CONRADI, whose velvet voice was joy to listen to. The fact that he looks good and tap dances a dream is quite incidental.

But make no bones about it, this is some Big Band, featuring a powerful rhythm section, fluid saxes, driving trombones and a crisp trumpet ensemble that make the rafters ring. A band that swing in tight precision and led by a brilliant but mildly eccentric front lady that truly knows her business, both musically and in the art of entertaining an audience. Big Band fans, take note... this is a class outfit with a capital C, playing a style of musical entertainment that will certainly put a lot of bums on a lot of seats in the years ahead. I can't wait to see (and hear) them again.

Other Big Bands Beware
    !

Jim Kennedy
    Encore Magazine
    Encore Website www.encorextra.com

Link: DCRBB Website
    Link: DCRBB MySpace

Link: DCRBB YouTube

Other Useful Band Links
    | CD's | mp3s & Downloads | Gig Diary | Radio Interviews| Post Your Comments |
    | Pictures | Re-Enactors & Dancers | Contact Us | Press & Media Pack |

If you forward our newsletters, please ensure that the person you send it to will be happy to receive it.
    We apologise if you are receiving this letter without wishing to.

Origin: This Newsletter was sent to [email protected]
    by The Debbie Curtis Office. Box 14, HP9 1XR - Tel: 01494 670006
    You have been sent this mail as you are in Debbie Curtis or Nigel Ward's email address book from previous correspondence or
    because you have requested news letters. If you wish to be deleted from the list please reply and include the following details :-
    Debbie Curtis & [email protected] Thank You.

As a Newbie, I am always searching online for stuff that can help me. Thank you for your help.
    JCB

Many vendors sell scores independently of the parts.

Check out, for example, bandmusicdirect.com . I have ordered several scores there at $5 or so apiece. Just go to the jazz band section.

Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum