• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonic Implants - Symphonic String Collection

Share/Bookmark

Sonic Implants - Symphonic String Collection

I was just wondering if anyone had heard the Sonic Implants Symphonic String collection at NAMM this year and how they would rate the quality of this library?

I am a very happy owner of GOS although am considering purchasing an additional good quality string collection, to complement GOS, particularly if the S.I. library has strings with a really full vibrato sound!

Of those of you who heard it, what are your thoughts and initial impressions on the new Sonic Implants library?

Will it be as good as Garritan Strings?

Seeing as I have already bought GOS, do you think it is worthwhile buying the Sonic
    Implants selection too?

Does anyone have an idea of the retail price or if there will be an introductory offer as there was with GOS?

I am hungry for information and feedback on this library!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark UK (edited 02-12-2002).]

Re: Sonic Implants - Symphonic String Collection

The price probably would be steep, seeing that the library is 16-20 CD ROMS. And here there is me hoping that I could get a relatively cheap and good strings library... Looks like my hopes are dashed.

Price is supposed to be around 1500

I hear they sound fantastic, but wish there were some demos to listen to

Still I dont doubt that they are

The more strings the merrier

actually I had thought maybe KH would be the best complimentary library to GOS for me, but I have a feeling that SI could be the one

still solo strings layering is what I\'m gonna look to for vibrato and that thick but soft piano sound. I\'d pick up DD solo strings to do the vibrato atleast but I\'m still waiting for Gary\'s solo strings.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Yeah, I know what you guys mean about the extra cost although I do feel I want something to complement GOS.

I was actually listening to the demos on Kirk Hunter Strings last night and thought that they sounded good, although I would prefer to hear some demos of the KH strings by section and in context, similar to the demos on Gary\'s site for GOS.... Ideally I want to hear some known classical excerpts using this library so that I can see if this library is good for \"Classical and Romantic\" music or if it more suited to \"Modern\" styles. What I am really looking for is a Mahler/Tchaikovsky/Sibelius-esque full sounding string ensemble, with power, subtlety and fluidity. I am hoping that the S.I. library will deliver the goods!

I like the fact that there are small emsembles in the KH library although am not sure whether these smaller ensembles are going to be available in the Sonic Implants library.

I see that the S.I. web site says the release date is in April. Does anyone know when in April this is most likely to be: beginning, middle, or end?

In Gary\'s up-coming Garritan Solo Strings library, does anyone know if there will be small ensemble groups available (e.g. two violins) or whether it will be just solo (as the title would indicate!)?

I have a feeling I am going to be spending a lot of cash in the next few months on more strings - yet if a good sample orchestra is what I am striving to achieve, the strings have to be JUST RIGHT!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Mark UK (edited 02-13-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark UK:
    I have a feeling I am going to be spending a lot of cash in the next few months on more strings ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank God for tax write offs .

I contacted Sonic Implants and got a very quick reply!.... literally within 9 minutes of sending the email!

The current status of this library is as follows:

1) The retail price hasn\'t yet been set although is expected to be in the $1000-1500 range. S.I. are considering an introductory offer although nothing has yet been finalised - this may be in the form of a pre-general release offer.

2) The release date is still set for April

3) Demos are in the pipeline although realistically won\'t be ready for another 3-4 weeks.

4) Samples will include:

1st Violins, 2nd Violins, Violas, Cellos
    and Basses all recorded in their standard orchestral seating position.

Playing styles include:

Long Tone Detaché
    4 velocity levels; up and down bows; release samples; all dynamic levels

Long Tones Expressivo
    Sustained tones with deep vibrato and expressive phrasing; 2 velocities; down bows; release samples

Staccato Martelé
    Short staccato tones for accented or martelé phrases; 4 velocity levels including sfz \"frog\", up and down bows, and release samples.

It looks like this has the potential to be a very good complementing library for GOS users.

Mark UK,

Gary is doing one better than having 2 player ensembles. He will be giving you multiple solo violins, violas, cellos, etc. You can now have 2 or 3 different violins playing together although you\'ll need to record each part individually so the attacks, timing, expression, etc. varies. IMO this is better than using ensembles.

From what I saw at NAMM, SI strings will be ensembles like GOS.

>>>Samples will include:
    1st Violins, 2nd Violins, Violas, Cellos
    and Basses all recorded in their standard orchestral seating position.<<<
    Standard Orchestral Seating Position? COOL!

Thanks for the reply, Haydn.

I actually found out a little more information through the night about the S.I. library.

One of the things S.I. are working on is creating a very playable library which doesn\'t require hours and hours of sequencer work. Also, all of the production work is being done \"in-house\" so S.I. are confident about the consistency and quality of the programming.

The projected release date will be the middle of April.

There will be no solo or small sections in the library, similar to GOS as Haydn noted.

It also looks like the support offered with the library should be very good too.

Hope some of you find this information useful.

Thanks

Mark

Go Back to forum