• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Any Performance tweaks for Omnisphere?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Any Performance tweaks for Omnisphere?

Love the sound of Omni..

Can't stand how slow it's loading patches though.. I have it on A WD RAPTOR, system hd is also a raptor,also using a quad..
    It's terribly slow.Before I purchased Omni I specifically asked in advance how fast would it load it's patches , I was told faster then Atmosphere...

Well it's not,and the Gui pauses when trying to browse for other sounds. Why? Please make it more seamless here.. Can this plug be tweaked?

We need a tweak to performance,bad.. Please..
    Intel Q6600|3.0ghz|Asus P5b Deluxe|8Gbs Corsair Performance Ram|BFG 8800 GT 512mb|XP64 SP2|Wd Raptors||Api A2D|Lavry DA10|E-mu 1820m|Csr|Roland A-50|Studiologic SL 990 Pro|Novation SL Remote Zero|Dynaudio Bm5a|Event 8|Cubase 4.5.2|K3|Many lovely libraries

Re: Any Performance tweaks for Omnisphere?

I totally agree that it's WAY slower to load than Atmosphere or any other plug-in I've seen or used in a long time. What I don't know is why it's so much slower. But good things are worth waiting for so it's not a major issue for me personally. Wouldn't mind though if somehow it could be made to load more quickly.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Have you tweaked your streaming settings?
    I am using the default settings and the GUI loads here in a couple of seconds and even the big sounds only take like 10 to 15 seconds.
    This is on a Macpro 2.8 ghz with internal seagate Barracuda drives (7200 RPM)

I'm using the default settings too.. The Gui loads in around 8 seconds, I'm not really complaining about that since there are guys with much longer loading times for the gui.. (although it should be much quicker)

What I'm most uncomfortable with is the load times now while trying to browse different browsers,(eg: soundsources,patches).And since I'm used to working rather quickly, I wanted to point out what I was told before I purchased it,as that has alot to do with my workflow. I understand it's a new release and all , I just would hope it can be alot more streamlined,like say Kontakt .

I agree good things are definitely worth waiting for and thats what I do when I enter a sound,tweak and then enter another sound,but it's the loading and browsing that's slow or it feels like it may need a boost.
    Intel Q6600|3.0ghz|Asus P5b Deluxe|8Gbs Corsair Performance Ram|BFG 8800 GT 512mb|XP64 SP2|Wd Raptors||Api A2D|Lavry DA10|E-mu 1820m|Csr|Roland A-50|Studiologic SL 990 Pro|Novation SL Remote Zero|Dynaudio Bm5a|Event 8|Cubase 4.5.2|K3|Many lovely libraries

I used disk streaming initially, and my load times were very fast, faster than atmosphere, but I decided to load the whole shebang and turned disk streaming off. I've got 8 gig memory and am not concerned about memory usage.

There is a problem with loading on occasion where the patch, multi, soundsource just plain won't load, or takes a very long time before they start to load. I'm sure they will iron it out eventually.

Be very careful about working with streaming turned off. In addition to slowing down your patch loading, you increase the chances of running out of memory. Adding more RAM does not increase the memory capacity of a single process. If you want to dedicate more memory to samples in Omnisphere, I'd recommend turning up the pre-load memory size rather than turning off streaming.

- Glenn

Questions ( or problems ) not findable in the manual.

1) Bad page in the manual:
    ...\STEAM\Omnisphere\Documentation\Reference Guide\edit_page\all.htm

Trys to force a print of the page.

Here's the problem: Specifically onLoad="javascript:window.print();"
    <title>
    Edit Page</title></head>
    <body onLoad="javascript:window.print();">

2) What is the "Steam Brake" ?
    3)"" "" ... Num Bytes Per Read?

4) User cc? Not enough information provided. Is it user assignable?
    Is midi learn the only option for assigning CC to channels?
    Specifically CC 11 and CC 7?
    Can't they just be manually set somewhere in a global section?

Thanks,

You can use modulation to control a parameter via midi CC. See the modulation tutorial for modulation details. That gets saved in the patch. You can remap controllers to CC's on the system page.

Omnisphere responds to CC11 in the standard way to attenuate part levels. You can turn that off with the expression pedal button in the footer.

You can right click on a control to midi learn it to a CC. That gets saved in a multi and Omnisphere uses a template system like Stylus RMX. There's an FAQ that describes templates.

See the Streaming FAQ for details on the streaming controls on the system page.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    You can use modulation to control a parameter via midi CC.
    But the Midi CC still needs to be "learned" and can not be assigned manually?
    You can remap controllers to CC's on the system page.
    OK. But once again it can only be done by using a physical controller on my keyboard?
    And also there seems to be no option to return it to the default value? User CC being the one I'm talking about.
    There's an FAQ that describes templates.
    See the Streaming FAQ for details on the streaming controls on the system page.
    - Glenn
    Found 'em. On the web site.

Also, here's a major problem I'm seeing with the manual.
    The Search option is also searching the html source code and producing false hits, where there is no actual content relevant to the search sting in the content of the page.

.... making it very time consuming to find something as simple as the FAQ.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    But the Midi CC still needs to be "learned" and can not be assigned manually?
    Sure. It's right there on the same menu: Modulate->Modulate with Controller

OK. But once again it can only be done by using a physical controller on my keyboard?
    And also there seems to be no option to return it to the default value? User CC being the one I'm talking about.
    User CC can be set to whatever you want...the default value is meaningless, unless you want to set it to a controller you don't have :-)

- Glenn

Go Back to forum