• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt and Windows x64

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt and Windows x64

Hello,

I just updated my system to windows x64. My setup right now is Cubase studio 4(32b) + Kontakt standalone sending digital output to cubase´s input.

Questions are:

- Is it normal that having 6GB RAM the system displays the "memory is getting low" message somewhere before reaching 4,90Gb of use on Task Manager? Didnt happen so early with Winx32. I mixed 2 different memory couples, 2x2GB HyperX + 2x1GB OCZ Platinum (both being DDR2 800)..could this be the reason?

- My digital output used by KTKT standalone is just a SPDIF, so i´d have to render every track if i wanted to mix channels separately. I know Reaper for example can load VSTs when rewired as a slave and this would give me more input channels back to Cubase, moreover i´d be using a single ASIO driver. Anybody else using a rewire client to load Kontakt on it?

Thanks!!

Re: Kontakt and Windows x64

if you're using kontakt (32bit) and cubase 4 (32bit) how is anything different to using the same software on a x86 OS? Doesn't kontakt and cubase need to be 64bit too in order for things to work?

Nope Kontakt and Cubase work as 32bit versions on a 64 bit system. They just have a 4G ram limit..... Each if I understand it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by user002 View Post
    if you're using kontakt (32bit) and cubase 4 (32bit) how is anything different to using the same software on a x86 OS? Doesn't kontakt and cubase need to be 64bit too in order for things to work?
    U cant use more than 3GB globally on win32, thats the difference.

So with your setup your standalone kontakt can use 4GB and your cubase another 4GB?

theoretically it could, however i have 6GB and as i said it pops up the "memory is getting low" message before using 5GB. On win32 i get this message only when i get close to 1,7 more or less.

i wonder also if people are using kontakt 2 or 3 under x64.

I get this message too on Win Xp 64 sometimes ( I have 8 gig ram).
    It seems quite random. On one occasion I reach maybe 3 gig and get this message, and sometimes I reach 5 gig and don't get this message.

Maybe it has something to do with the paging file ?
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

But you can continue working without problems?

I have page file turned off now. I just thought there was enough RAM to avoid it.

Is there something specific keeping you from using Vista64 besides that fact that it's vista and sucks?

Quote Originally Posted by northernu View Post
    But you can continue working without problems?

I have page file turned off now. I just thought there was enough RAM to avoid it.
    Yes I can...fortunately It could be also possible that it has something to do with the LAAtiDo patch which is needed if you want your 32 bit applications to use more than 2 gig of ram.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Go Back to forum