• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere A big no go here

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere A big no go here

Hi..Sad to say...If you don't have a really fast system ( in other words, if you have a Moderate system) Then you will be living in the world of total frustration..Load times are way to long..And even after that the disc streaming will kill your creativity..Sounds start and stop til the disc catches up..No Joy here..This is never stated on the Spectrasonic site..So buyer beware..If you have a modest system..You won't be happy after spending $500 on something that will rob you of immediate creativity..

The product is definately not ready for prime time...There is much work on Spectrasonics part to be done..Wish it would have been..But it wasn't..

My opinion..Save your money... JON

Re: Omnisphere A big no go here

and what is your system?

Quote Originally Posted by jonkuzma View Post
    Hi..Sad to say...If you don't have a really fast system ( in other words, if you have a Moderate system) Then you will be living in the world of total frustration..Load times are way to long..And even after that the disc streaming will kill your creativity..Sounds start and stop til the disc catches up..No Joy here..This is never stated on the Spectrasonic site..So buyer beware..If you have a modest system..You won't be happy after spending $500 on something that will rob you of immediate creativity..

The product is definately not ready for prime time...There is much work on Spectrasonics part to be done..Wish it would have been..But it wasn't..

My opinion..Save your money... JON
    classic.

Omnisphere runs cleanly,powerfully and under no circumstances have I experienced any of this on a mac g5 quad 6gigs ramPPC. this is,frankly, a medium powered system and in no way competes with the current crop. Yet I couldnt disagree more with your post.

It's clear that it's your system and you cant blame Spectrasonics for that.

spend some money.

If it don't run on a commodore 64, Omnisphere is not ready for prime time.

Very bad argument.

Surely everybody knew this was a prize winning hog.

It's always been the way that if you buy the latest software you'll need the latest hardware. Hardware & software are always a double-act.

If you don't have the latest hardware then you need to go back a few years and buy software that was developed on older machines.

It's a shame that developers (of all sorts) always seem to use the latest machines. I'd much prefer a dev house that forced it's developers to work on old machines. That way you'd really start seeing some tight code.

Let's have a bit more perspective on this....

Our site shows the recommended minimum system requirements as follows:

Atmosphere: G3 500mhz

Omnisphere: G5 dual 2ghz (Intel Core2Duo recommended)

Not the difference in CPU requirements for both instruments....that's a huge difference in our minimum recommendations.

BTW, Omnisphere screams on inexpensive systems like any of the current iMacs, which would hardly be considered "top of the line" systems. So it's not at all like you need a really expensive new system to have great performance with Omnisphere.

G5 2ghz is bare-bones minimum, which will have limited performance...that's a very old computer, especially when it gets blown away by even the cheapest current iMac.

Also, there are lots of tweaks that can be made on the System page regarding disc streaming for users with slow systems.

Please be specific which settings can be changed? I have a fast system,with fast hd's and I'd love to know how I can get Omni to load patches and the Gui faster.. Thanks in advance.
    Intel Q6600|3.0ghz|Asus P5b Deluxe|8Gbs Corsair Performance Ram|BFG 8800 GT 512mb|XP64 SP2|Wd Raptors||Api A2D|Lavry DA10|E-mu 1820m|Csr|Roland A-50|Studiologic SL 990 Pro|Novation SL Remote Zero|Dynaudio Bm5a|Event 8|Cubase 4.5.2|K3|Many lovely libraries

What's slow? My PC is 4.5 years old now, XP Pro, 3.2Ghz single core Intel, M-Audio 2496. The only thing I did before installing Omnisphere is upgrade the RAM to 4GB, although only 3.25GB is recognized. So it takes around 30 seconds to load Omnisphere into SX3 and yeah, loading multis is also a little slow. But once loaded, there are no show stoppers; no pops and clicks, no crashes. Maybe next year I'll upgrade to a more modern PC, but for now, I can do what I need to do.

If you have no problems loading Omni at 30 seconds per instance,then I think your missing the point here.No offense,but that's incredibly slow and unacceptable for many of us, but if your happy then your fine right?
    Intel Q6600|3.0ghz|Asus P5b Deluxe|8Gbs Corsair Performance Ram|BFG 8800 GT 512mb|XP64 SP2|Wd Raptors||Api A2D|Lavry DA10|E-mu 1820m|Csr|Roland A-50|Studiologic SL 990 Pro|Novation SL Remote Zero|Dynaudio Bm5a|Event 8|Cubase 4.5.2|K3|Many lovely libraries

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post

BTW, Omnisphere screams on inexpensive systems like any of the current iMacs, which would hardly be considered "top of the line" systems. So it's not at all like you need a really expensive new system to have great performance with Omnisphere.

Also, there are lots of tweaks that can be made on the System page regarding disc streaming for users with slow systems.

Can you recommend to us Pc users what Pc screams with Omnisphere? What specs?
    Also about the tweaks, can you elaborate on which ones to try? Thanks...

Go Back to forum