• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere Basic Question

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere Basic Question

Is there a way to select patches via PC messages? I can't figure out how to do this. Almost every synth ever has this ability. I would simply like to have about 127 patches I could call up anytime with a single command. Hmm?

Re: Omnisphere Basic Question

Good Question, better leave that one up to the programmers ? Fwiw I haven't found a way, I checked the reference manual ,and it doesn't even mention Bank changes.. Odd
    Intel Q6600|3.0ghz|Asus P5b Deluxe|8Gbs Corsair Performance Ram|BFG 8800 GT 512mb|XP64 SP2|Wd Raptors||Api A2D|Lavry DA10|E-mu 1820m|Csr|Roland A-50|Studiologic SL 990 Pro|Novation SL Remote Zero|Dynaudio Bm5a|Event 8|Cubase 4.5.2|K3|Many lovely libraries

You can use Program Changes in Live Mode, which works really well for switching sounds.

(see the Live Mode tutorial)

http://support.spectrasonics.net/ins...ial-videos.php

It doesn't make sense to use PG for general sound selection in a huge synth like Omnisphere, because with 5000 sounds Program Changes are unmanageable.

You can learn the Browser up/down arrows too, which is a really good way to work. Check out the Browser Basic tutorial to see how that works. :-)

Aren't all the patches "on" in Live mode? I tried that and patches that are normally handled easily by my machine (a 2.4 dual intel mac, 4 gz) choked it up.
    I understand that 5000 is an awful lot, but I can make those choices. At least I would like to.

For instance, I would probably use 25 to 30 patches in a long set. It would be nice to have a user file that I could keep those in and choose them via PC messages.

This is the only thing that is keeping me from using Omnisphere live.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunamusic View Post
    Aren't all the patches "on" in Live mode?
    Yes. That's how they can be layered and transitioned smoothly with no gaps.

I tried that and patches that are normally handled easily by my machine (a 2.4 dual intel mac, 4 gz) choked it up.
    You have to optimize the patches on a machine like that. Turn off and FX and share FX, etc.

I understand that 5000 is an awful lot, but I can make those choices. At least I would like to.

For instance, I would probably use 25 to 30 patches in a long set. It would be nice to have a user file that I could keep those in and choose them via PC messages.

This is the only thing that is keeping me from using Omnisphere live.
    You can easily make Multis of various sets of patches (or a bank of patches for Live use) that you can easily step though.

if you leave the Browser open while performing, then you can step through them from your MIDI controller.

That's probably your best bet.

Okay. Thanks for responding. I have to say, this device is absolutely stunning. Today I was playing my Godin Spectrum guitar and layering some of the psycoacoustic sounds with it. My head almost exploded.

Cool!

Exploding heads is our goal for sure! :-)

Perfect name for that guitar too.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post

You have to optimize the patches on a machine like that. Turn off and FX and share FX, etc.

How do you share FX - is that via Auxes?

Yep-instead of having a seperate reverb for every patch it makes total sense to use one reverb on an aux and share that one with all the patches in a multi.

best
    Hans

As I read through the threads that have been generated since Omnisphere was released and my copy arrived, I continue to be amazed at the thought that went into creating this software, it's versatility and the options that are included for us to find and use. And to think that even more is to come in the future. All I can say is "Wow"....VERY impressive release....and I continue to learn new things every time I use Omnisphere. And as they say in the UK..."sounds fantastic!". My congratulations and thanks to all the folks at Spectrasonics...........playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Go Back to forum