• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What would you say if I...

Share/Bookmark

What would you say if I...

What would you say if I layered glockenspiel with staccato flutes in a rapid figure?

I\'m refering to the passage in Williams\' \"Call of the Champions\" as well as perhaps 15 other scores he has written.

He does this all the time. In fact he does it in a way that makes me feel guilty if I use the very same instrument combination.

How do you all feel about such \"characterizing\" instrument blends? Not only Williams but other things like Horner\'s trademark motif that represents \"danger\": C,C#,D,C# (play quick in middle trumpet register - just transpose it to B) (he uses this figure in ALL his action scores) but it is such a simple motif. Only 4 notes. What would you say if you heard this motif in a score by some other composer? Would you accuse this composer of stealing Horner\'s trademark motif?

Thomas

Re: What would you say if I...

Thomas, funny that you mention this Williams thing with the glock - I noticed this yesterday for the first time, kinda. Thought about how odd it was in some way Anyway, I think it\'s not quite as blatant ripping off just a a way of orchestrating compared to a motif. In this case with Horner, however, Horner probably ripped it off someone else in the first place, so I wouldnt care...

Hehe interesting Simon! I\'ve been thinking about that lovely blend all day. I gotta find some use for it that doesn\'t sound like instant Williams

(I was meaning to ask you, do you have VoTA? I\'d be interested in some experience feedback from you (or anyone else who have worked with VoTA) as I\'m seriously considering buying this library.)

Thomas

in my opinion,nobody is the owner of the music rules.
    of course we can\'t copy the main idea (the obvious part)of an orchestration .the Better thing to do is recicle with new stuff .when Beethoven decide to add a choir in a symphony was a brand new idea.he gave us a new horizon for the creation process(was a gift) and if anyone ,able to compose a symphony feels that is necessary to add a choir and don\'t add it ,is wasting time and maybe loosing a new musical jewel.
    so !!!go ahead thomas .

I\'d say that you\'re a loser and that you can\'t come up with your own orchestration ideas and that you should quit while you\'re ahead and stop making music....

or maybe I wouldn\'t :P

If it sounds good it sounds good. Take inspiration from orrchestrations you like. If people consider the piece less effective because you took an orchestration idea from someone that is respected it, their foolish.

About VotA. I like it. Great for powerfull stuff. no other choir I know of has that \"big\" sound. The high notes have alot of vibrato so you can\'t use them for mellow stuff. I have my own ways of getting around this, and have tried contacting Nick in trying to share, but haven\'t had a response from him.

I still like some stuff about Ext Classical Choir, and dont have SOV, but would still think that none of the available choir libraries cover ALL the basses. I do think VotA is a big chunk of change for a library without alot of variety, but its the only one with its sound and its a good sound so if you use it/need it, its worth it.

Melodyne is out for PC which makes it more accessable, so maybe more can be done with some of the ideas I\'ve had for this library..

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Thomas, sorry I havent bought VoTA. Dont know if I will. I think it is being improved a lot with the updates, so that might convince me. However I dont like this copy protection thing. See another thread )

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Thomas, sorry I havent bought VoTA. Dont know if I will. I think it is being improved a lot with the updates, so that might convince me. However I dont like this copy protection thing. See another thread )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regarding the copy protection thing...I was a little apprehensive about it myself. However, since installing VotA about three an a half months ago I haven\'t had any requests for the CD yet.

Hi Thomas
    I would say you went to a master class and did your homework!
    Besides that, try not to become paranoid with all that copyright hype going on - just remember, J.S.Bach was proud when another composer found one of his licks worthwile using....
    fmfgs

Thomas,
    About VotA. You should wait for the update. It may be even more than I have described. I have been reediting the original samples and have made some improvements there as well.

I would say.............

HELLO!!!! WAKE UP!!!!!!

This has been done for over 200 years!!!! The idea that this is a \"trademark\" of someone still alive is absurb. Come on guys....did anyone pay attention in Music History 101?????

Donnie

Go Back to forum