• Register
  • Help

Topic: Autumn: 1st Movement

Autumn: 1st Movement

Hello everybody! It's been a while since I've posted anything on the forums. With work and school, it's difficult to spend much time working on music, plus I've started a couple different songs that I cannot decide which to give more attention

So, I figured I'd give a bit of an update on one of these pieces. Right now, it's simply titled "Autumn." This, so far, is inspired by my memories of last autumn's daily commutes to school through the hills with their color-changing leaves. The cool breeze from this time is something I love, and though we haven't really gotten that cool in my area yet, I'm really looking forward to it! So, I started this with an attempt to rekindle the nostalgic feel autumn always gives me.

I plan on extending this peice with more movements (most likely 2 more, for a total of 3 movements), and basing it mainly on the melody introduced around the 1:00 mark, but also bringing out other themes and motives I've introduced throughout the piece.

As always, thanks for listening, and have a wonderful fall!

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6960881&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6960881&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Autumn: 1st Movement

I an see the colored leaves falling from the trees. Nice job.

Nice work on this, Michael! You've got plenty of
    good motivic and coloristic groundwork, here, to
    develop this into a strong movement.

Keep it coming!

My best,

David Sosnowski

It is very descriptive of Autumn. Seems to remind me of
    impressionistic music which I love so much. This can be
    further developed with other instrumental timbres and
    coloristic qualities. Leaves have so many mixed colors so
    your orchestration should follow suit.

Great so far.....

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I know how it can be finding time to compose or anything else while in school. I teach all day then go to classes at night and have little time for anything else.

Da da da whoop tee doo. I have heard that somewhere before, but your piece is distinct in its own right and was a very enjoyable listen.

Well done

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Thanks for your comment, I'm glad the image of autumn was portrayed decently

Thanks a bunch! Yes, this will hopefully turn into a typical (for me) 5 minute piece in 3 movements, but who knows? Maybe I'll do something completely off-the-wall! (Don't expect it )

Yes, I love autumn because of it's variety. In the Midwest, it starts out feeling almost summer-like at times, then you get the classic fall with the crisp air and changing leaves, and finally you have winter-like cold and occasionally early snow. If you guessed, that is most probably the pattern my 3 movements will take!

I'm assuming you are talking about the introduction with the flute and clarinet? It's very possible that I have heard it somewhere before, and just can't think of it. Sometimes I'll do that intentionally in my music, write something I know I've heard before, but can't remember what it's from... This piece is actually partially inspired by a CD I listened to frequently last fall which had a lot of James Horner music on it, and if you're very familiar with his music, you'll probably hear some influences from his style (especially around 0:45 and 1:32).

Thanks everyone for listening and commenting, your feedback is much appreciated!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Michael - I've been having an enjoyable time looking past at some rather old listings, checking into things I missed when I was too busy last year to be here. Too many links on posts are now dead--too bad people remove files they've posted.

DELIGHTed to find this one from you though--What wonderful work.---I hope it gets a well deserved new life on the Forum with this--BOOST!

Randy B.

I love Autumn... and your 1st movement expresses it beautifully.
    Your instrumentation, articulations, and just overall expression is very well crafted.
    You bring out such vivid personalities; easy to picture the scene you've created.

Is there more?

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Hey guys, doubly surprised to see this thread back up again, but I'll get right into my responses!

Thanks again for bumping something of mine Yes, one nice thing about soundclick, is even if I update the file, the link to it remains the same. So, every link I've ever posted should theoretically still work! I'm glad you liked this one, the beginning of this movement was definitely stretching the boundary of what I typically compose, which imo, is always a good thing!

Michael A. Wiktor

It's always a pleasure to hear from you, Michael, especially since we share the same first name! I'm definitely glad you liked this one, and I remember specifically taking my time working with the articulations on this. And yes, there is actually a 2nd and 3rd movement in the same file. Hold on just a minute as I search my previous posts to see if I can find the original post! (Or just look down a couple lines...)

This is the post to the original thread about mvt's 2 and 3. I could've just linked the song, but this is in case you want to read the background about it.

Thanks again for listening, everyone!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Michael - REally enjoyed trying this out! Lots of potential to develop here. I would prefer more reverb/ambience though. Keep up the good work.

Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Go Back to forum