• Register
  • Help

Topic: Get out of my Nightmare

Share/Bookmark

Get out of my Nightmare

Since this is the month of pumpkins and ghouls and goblins, I present a piece that might fit.

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/mrdgher9s5

The Piano is played live thru The Garritan Authorized Steinway Piano (thanks again to Gary) and the Flute, Violin and Cello are from GPO.

This is not my best piece ever by any means, but it is the first I have ever posted using GASP.

Comments welcome

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Get out of my Nightmare

Hi Ron, congratulations for your first work using GASP!. I think the title fits very well with the music, i´d call it pure surrealism, like a Jean Cocteau´s film, plenty of strange images, is like a confused mind struggling in a distorted world. Is a very interesting work.

That piano does sound great. Very creepy piece. I love the quirky and creepy piano lines especially in the high register...Great piece, very appropriate. Love the "busy" section towards the end!

Chris

Certainly a worthwhile addition to the Halloween literature,
    Ron!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ron:
    Excellent. Very expressive. Top flight professional work. Every sound I heard was "where" it was supposed to be, "when" it was supposed to be and "what" it was supposed to be. "Why" it was supposed to be needs no answer and "how" it was supposed to be is in you alone. I wish my nightmares were this calm and fulfilling.

Steve

Well, it is a pretty good piece of music. The piano part was great. One little thing: I found it very relaxing and comforting, very pleasant to listen to. I could easily listen to much more music of this sort. Possibly a wee bit too much reverb?

Richard

Ron:

Fine work with your new Garritan Authorized Steinway.
    All the parts seem to fit in well and define your title,
    but the new piano really makes a great contribution to
    the overall sound.

I'm out of your nightmare now...........lol

Good job,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Unhappy Re: Get out of my Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Since this is the month of pumpkins and ghouls and goblins, I present a piece that might fit.

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/mrdgher9s5

The Piano is played live thru The Garritan Authorized Steinway Piano (thanks again to Gary) and the Flute, Violin and Cello are from GPO.

This is not my best piece ever by any means, but it is the first I have ever posted using GASP.

Comments welcome

Ron
    Wow, Ron! You are approaching the domains of Arnold Schönberg! In other words, you are becoming really serious!

This made me think of Arnold's "Pierrot Lunaire.", while listening to your subtle orchestration! the recurring motiv gives me the chills, thinking how cold it must be on the moon, lol!

Thanks for sharing!

Fred

This was a really cool piece of music. The writing was great. I think that sometimes with a more modern style of writing it is easy to be way too out there and get off track, but this made sense throughout. It had an odd flow to it which is how you make this style of music strong.

My only complaint was that the piano sounded so much better than all the other instruments. Its too bad that you didn't use the Solo Strad Lib then it would have sounded phenomenal. By the way, did you play the piano, write it, or a little bit of both. I only ask because it sounds so natural and well rendered.

Great work, and totally relevant for the time of year.(that's the creepiest smiley face i could find)
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Ron,

I think that you either had Halloween or the election on your mind while composing this But in any case you have pulled off something quite evocative. Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum