• Register
  • Help

Topic: DVX Strings

Share/Bookmark

DVZ Strings

I just recently got back from the AES show. I am a guitar player but I score for movies and I saw one of the most amazing products ever. It's all in one and it's got the best sounding samples I've ever heard. Chris Stone, who showed me that he was truly a genius, has taken vintage microphones and recorded samples from the best orchestras, just for starters.

The GUI, sample, and interfaces were all designed by Chris himself, and it took advantage of all the nuances you don't usually see easily in other sequencers. The bowing, smooth, sharp, low end, volume variances from the bow, you name it, was all there. Everything on the darn interface sounded real, and was navigated to easily, and could all be done on a couple of old PCs.

I am so impressed, that I am also too tired from thinking about it than talk more about it.

Scott Goldberg
    Gold Recordings
    Milpitas, CA 95035
    http://www.goldrecordings.com
    Last edited by scottgoldberg; 10-12-2008 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Incorrect label

Re: DVX Strings

That sounds awesome.. I like the part "could all be done on a couple of old PCs. " Love to hear more info.. Thanks for sharing..
    Intel Q6600|3.0ghz|Asus P5b Deluxe|8Gbs Corsair Performance Ram|BFG 8800 GT 512mb|XP64 SP2|Wd Raptors||Api A2D|Lavry DA10|E-mu 1820m|Csr|Roland A-50|Studiologic SL 990 Pro|Novation SL Remote Zero|Dynaudio Bm5a|Event 8|Cubase 4.5.2|K3|Many lovely libraries

Sounds like they have a new product then because their former DVZ strings was a turnkey system that needed a bunch of dedicated hi end PCs to run.
    If i remember correctly the entrylevel system started at about 10 grand.

right- this has been on the radar for a very long time so it's still difficult to tell what's new or same old news.

But it does seem to be important enough to many to hold interest. I dont know C Stone but have followed his thing and could he easily tell he's a remarkable guy.

He reminds me of Fablesounds- one guy with a vision and the smarts to do it.I'm rooting for him.

Sounds very interesting, is there a chance to hear some demos done with that library?

I just read the last posts and I can clarify a couple of things for you all. First of all, the system is now below $5,000 for the orchestra, it may be more for another orchestra "Size." Also they were running it on two old Costco computers, and it's now designed to run on a couple of semi-lame PCs. I'm a Mac guy so wath out for the term "semi-lame But seriously, they have full systems that can be bought already installed and maximiaed. I'l sure that's more for the insanely rich folks who don't have any time for installations on their own. Then they have the same library available to run on most anything, even a couple of old Gigastudio computers.

Last was that you can (CHRIS) get some video. Go to youtube and go to DVZ strings. It's the web but Chris Stone really gives me an exciting demo and it's all there in four parts. Look up DVZ strings, and look for my name in the header. Scott

Hi..A product well worth the look see..The concept of it being subtractive rather than additive makes it a much more realistic item...There are some great videos here.. http://www.youtube.com/user/audiomidicom ...If you are into film or TV scoring...The points made are pleasntly revealing.. JON

Quote Originally Posted by jonkuzma View Post
    Hi..A product well worth the look see..The concept of it being subtractive rather than additive makes it a much more realistic item...There are some great videos here.. http://www.youtube.com/user/audiomidicom ...If you are into film or TV scoring...The points made are pleasntly revealing.. JON
    Right on Jon, thanks for the tip! I am a bit new to this whole forum and I actively cruise the DUC (Digidesign User Conference) and it's nice to find another site that has similar folk. I'll fill you in more as I get the info. Have a good week, Scott.

Go Back to forum