• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Please help me choose a Piano sample for GigaStudio

Share/Bookmark

Please help me choose a Piano sample for GigaStudio

Hello, I got GigaStudio a few weeks ago and have been having fun experimenting with various piano samples. Now I am looking for a sample that would be a great addition to my collection.

I accept that there is no single \'perfect piano\' but I believe there exists a collection of good pianos which will make up a great toolbox.

I only play piano solo, New Age style music, just like the ones you can find on the Bardstown Audio mp3 demos page. I never play jazz. I play classical but don\'t think I am good enough to want to make any classical recordings anyway. If you care to find out what kind of music I prefer you are welcome to check out my home page www.jamespun.com and look under the \'piano concert\' page.

I have the following already:

GigaPiano (obviously)
    Trachtman C 8-layer
    EastWest Steinway B
    EastWest Bosendorfer 275

Right now I am only planning to get more GigaStudio libraries. I have decided against getting a hardware sampler or a digital piano. Here are some other GigaStudio pianos in the market that I have considered:

Malmsjo (this seems very popular but I think it sounds too mellow for me)
    Post Piano Suite (I haven\'t found a MP3 demo that sounds remotely like a piano yet)
    VR Sound (doesn\'t sound good to me)
    Bolder Sounds Yamaha and Steinway D (I always wanted a Steinway D but 2 layers is too little, I don\'t think this bank was intended for GigaStudio in the beginning)
    The Grand VSTi (this sounds very good but I still want a GigaStudio format piano)

These are the ones I am consider getting seriously:

Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial (awesome NewAge demos recently added, has all keys sampled, 9 layers)
    Holy Grail (sounds good and seem to provide control to components of the piano sound, very expensive though)
    Post Pristine Piano (this seems very popular but I am not convinced by the MP3s I heard yet)

First I would like to know am I overlooking some very good GigaStudio piano libraries? Or is that all the market has to offer right now?

So far my favourite is EW Bosendorfer. I am wondering if the Bardstown Bos is going to provide a good alternative to the Bos sound I have.

Any help or discussion is greatly appreciated!

Re: Please help me choose a Piano sample for GigaStudio

So is Michael Post going to release a GRANDIOSO sample set? Is it different from the Post Piano Suite??

Hi
    visit http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/001762.html
    for more info and a link to the demo\'s of Grandioso.
    It is a new set of recordings, noting is the same as in the PPP (Post Pristine Piano) or PPS (Post Piano Suite).

Hi Michiel, thanks for the reply, I am glad to hear from the master himself!

I am listening to demos of the GRANDIOSO and I now know that it\'s different from the PPP or PPS. I am looking forward to the final product.

Two questions: How much is it going to cost? And what did you do to overcome the bugs/dimensions limitations of the GigaSampler? I remember reading Warren Trachtman\'s webpage describing GigaSampler dimensions problems that de-motivated him from making a many-layer sample set like yours.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by respho:
    Hello, I got GigaStudio a few weeks ago and have been having fun experimenting with various piano samples. Now I am looking for a sample that would be a great addition to my collection.

I accept that there is no single \'perfect piano\' but I believe there exists a collection of good pianos which will make up a great toolbox.

I only play piano solo, New Age style music, just like the ones you can find on the Bardstown Audio mp3 demos page. I never play jazz. I play classical but don\'t think I am good enough to want to make any classical recordings anyway. If you care to find out what kind of music I prefer you are welcome to check out my home page www.jamespun.com and look under the \'piano concert\' page.

I have the following already:

GigaPiano (obviously)
    Trachtman C 8-layer
    EastWest Steinway B
    EastWest Bosendorfer 275

Right now I am only planning to get more GigaStudio libraries. I have decided against getting a hardware sampler or a digital piano. Here are some other GigaStudio pianos in the market that I have considered:

Malmsjo (this seems very popular but I think it sounds too mellow for me)
    Post Piano Suite (I haven\'t found a MP3 demo that sounds remotely like a piano yet)
    VR Sound (doesn\'t sound good to me)
    Bolder Sounds Yamaha and Steinway D (I always wanted a Steinway D but 2 layers is too little, I don\'t think this bank was intended for GigaStudio in the beginning)
    The Grand VSTi (this sounds very good but I still want a GigaStudio format piano)

These are the ones I am consider getting seriously:

Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial (awesome NewAge demos recently added, has all keys sampled, 9 layers)
    Holy Grail (sounds good and seem to provide control to components of the piano sound, very expensive though)
    Post Pristine Piano (this seems very popular but I am not convinced by the MP3s I heard yet)

First I would like to know am I overlooking some very good GigaStudio piano libraries? Or is that all the market has to offer right now?

So far my favourite is EW Bosendorfer. I am wondering if the Bardstown Bos is going to provide a good alternative to the Bos sound I have.

Any help or discussion is greatly appreciated!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having heard and used many of the piano samples out there, I can whole-heartedly say that the Bardstown Audio Bos. is simply the best there is. With the articulation file, it will give you everything that you could possibly want. Yes, it is a little pricey, but in this instance, you really do get what you pay for. If you have a thing for the Bos. pianos in general, this one (BA)leaves the EW Bos. in the dust.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john g:
    Just noticed that you like the EW BOS. Sam, who contributes quite a bit to this site also likes that sample. I have it, but find the sound odd, although the bass is definitely more solid than the EW Steinway\'s. Although I think Post\'s piano sample sounds the best as an overall piano (based on the mp3s), the newer Bos seems to me an improvement on the EW Bos, again, judging on the basis of the mp3s. So you might want to check it out.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which Post library are you referring to here? Are you talking about the upcoming Granduiso library?

BTW can someone tell me who made the other Post pianos? The PPP (Post Pristine Piano) and PPS (Post Piano Suite)? Are they by Michiel Post as well?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john g:
    Just noticed that you like the EW BOS. Sam, who contributes quite a bit to this site also likes that sample. I have it, but find the sound odd, although the bass is definitely more solid than the EW Steinway\'s. Although I think Post\'s piano sample sounds the best as an overall piano (based on the mp3s), the newer Bos seems to me an improvement on the EW Bos, again, judging on the basis of the mp3s. So you might want to check it out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which Post piano are you referring to? Are you talking about the upcoming Granduiso piano or the other Post pianos? BTW who made those pianos? PPP (Post Pristine Piano) and PPS (Post Piano Suite)?

I\'m referring to the piano which is about to be released. Sorry if I wasn\'t clear.

J.G.

Respho, nice work on the samples. I\'m particularly interested in sample1. I can\'t imagine it\'s not the real deal, so give it up. What are you playing?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>:
    The demos suggest that that\'s where I\'ll be putting my money next.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, based on listening to the demos, and given the requirements of the type of music I compose and record. I just love the sound of the Steinway! The new Post Grandioso piano is going to fill a void in my studio!

(I have been using the modified version of the Steinway B, but it is time for a change - and I agree with the limitations you pointed out, John).

Go Back to forum