• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Where is the future in the Sampling Industry?

Share/Bookmark

Where is the future in the Sampling Industry?

I have been sitting down here waiting for some new technology in the Sampling Industry, but so far i didn't see anything new coming up.

I am very much looking forward for new strings, choirs and orchestral libraries that are easy to use and able to generate realistic sounds...

What are the technology that give us this?
    Are we far away from that or are we getting close?

Roberto

Re: Where is the future in the Sampling Industry?

Listening to your work Roberto, I didnt realize we needed more realistic anything. I agree on the playability issue. I'm guessing that Gary is going to help in that department with whatever his next orchestral release is. I still today love the playability of GPO yet fight through mixed articulations in EWQLSO for the rich beautiful sounds it makes. I wish I could have the best of both worlds.

samplemodeling

Synful, but no new news sadly.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Ergonomics, ergonomics, and ergonomics.

Big companies have developed their own players, and some of them even their own mixer and room FX.

I seriously think that now big companies have to develop their own sequencer.

A sample player is nothing else than a multitrack player.

A multitrack player with no brain. I mean with no memory. The sequencer is supposed to be the brain.

But why a separation ?

For me, the "sequencer / player" architecture is a nonsense. This is an after-effect from the hardware world. And makes all this very unproductive.

Even the ‘track’ concept is an after-effect from the hardware world.

We need an object approach.

I need a big piano roll, where all notes are non-destructive objects. Like audio files are in present sequencers.

And Jesus, please, give us a real playback interface.

Samples are audio files.
    Gabriel Plalame.

(The French dyslexic who speaks badly English.)

I think once we learn how to clone human beings, then we can simply clone all the best orchestral players and lock our clones in a room and bring them out when we need them.............

Now that would be a technological advance - who cares about ethics?

Joking aside......... I think what we really need is an improved workflow. I totally agree about an integrated sampler/sequencer solution. I would also like to see more companies ship their stuff on HD now. With all the hardware changes and constant upgrading, it can be a real pain to reinstall mountains of DVDs. HDs are getting cheaper and cheaper, and given the amount that they charge for these products, I don't think the consumer would notice too much if there was a nominal increase to cover the cost of the HD.

My big dream would be for me to bypass the sequencer altogether and get notation software to playback the score significantly better than they do now. Let's get Sibelius and Finale fully integrated with VSL and EWQLSO, that would be utterly fantastic.....and unlikely.

I think what we have now, are a whole bunch of nice products, which appeal to different kinds of users. A lot of the products have their strengths and weaknesses, but there just don't seem to be many 'bad' products at the mid to high-end market these days.

Personally, I'm happy with my VSL and Symphobia (plus the mountains of percussion libraries) as that covers all the bases for me. Symphobia allows me to do the big 'phat' stuff quickly, and VSL allows me to do more intricate stuff. I like Eastwest's stuff too, and I have nothing against it, but I've been using VSL for a while now.

On the flipside, EW's 'supporting cast', Ministry of Rock and SD2 in particular, are fantastic, especially as I produce trailer music. I've only just got Ministry of Rock, and I haven't written anything yet because it's just so fun to play.

I wonder if we'll see a new orchestral library from EW soon? I have a feeling that now the PLAY engine is bedding down, something big may be coming in the next two years.

But it's all speculation!

And nice music Roberto!

You can reinvent the wheel so many times. Bloat also seems to be the ploy in marketing libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayi View Post
    samplemodeling
    Agreed! Im looking forward to more brass from Samplemodeling ( an unsubstantiated wish!) and new strings from Garritan, using similar technology.

Im not buying much at the moment, but would buy new samplemodeling trombones and saxophones, in a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by beach View Post
    I have been sitting down here waiting for some new technology in the Sampling Industry, but so far i didn't see anything new coming up.

I am very much looking forward for new strings, choirs and orchestral libraries that are easy to use and able to generate realistic sounds...

What are the technology that give us this?
    Are we far away from that or are we getting close?

Roberto
    Hi Roberto,

Your work is well done. Which sample libraries and strings do you use in your compositions, particularlyin "day by day"?

Thanks and nice work,

Matt

I have watched the wave of music software and liken it to the 3D animation software world. Years ago Softimage would release Inverse Kinematics and that would be the new paradigm shift for 3D. All competitors would add this to their software and a few new tid bits as well. Each company would "leap frog" the other by adding new tools for the user. Eventually this slows down though as it's harder and harder to find new paradigm shifts. Most people could take an older version of a 3D animation software (Say 3D Studio Max Version 7) and create a lot of compelling animation for many many years without hitting the wall.

I see the same thing happening with music software. Before we had the big libs everyone used there Rolands and Korgs to emulate an orchestra. Then along came VSL, EW, Garritan and Sonivox. The age of upping the sonic ante was here and each new revision of these libs was better than the last. Same thing non-orch VST's. 40 gigabyte libs of guitars, drum libs with 2 gigs of hi-hats samples? The only thing better is a real drummer. (that won't flirt with your girlfriend )

It seems to me that it's harder to up the ante by sampling more articulations. Are we heading towards terrabyte-size libs? Can we control more articulations? Will there be more key-switches than playable keys? Also , it seems that everything has been sampled. There are multiple libraries of guitars, horns, ethnic, orchestra, loops (way too many loops), basses, drums, etc, etc, etc....

I think my new paradigm shift should be, forget the new stuff. Learn the tools I have now (which is a ton) and spend more time writing music and honing that craft rather than playing solitaire while watching the DVD drive install another 100 gigs of something I already have 200 gigs of. Does this make any sense?

One piece of music stands out in my mind. Thomas J. wrote a piece with EW choirs called Spiritus Iternius (or something close to that) This was written and produced with libraries that are older now. (OK rumor was his orch lib is proprietary) but the point is that this music is stellar. That's what I want to shoot for. The ability to compose like that. I already have the tools, I need to spend the time writing.

All the very best,

Darren

PS Of course I'll be freaking out over the latest and greatest come Christmas time. It's like an addiction isn't it?!
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum