• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO + FlStudio8 -> how to increase Attack?

Share/Bookmark

GPO + FlStudio8 -> how to increase Attack?

Ok I need to make really slow strings using the "Full Strings" and changing the note velocity but this won't work. Changes in velocity are nearly not noticable and I don't find any other option inside Kontaktplayer2 to increase velocity. The strings should come in full volume in about 1-2 seconds.

Re: GPO + FlStudio8 -> how to increase Attack?

Hi, Rocky

You need to couple a low velocity value with a slowly swooping in curve of CC1 which controls volume in GPO. That's the controller usually controlling vibrato on instruments, and keyboards have their wheels defaulted to CC1, but with GPO and other Garritan instruments, that MIDI controller is routed to volume.

The low velocity will give you the softer attack, but you won't notice it so much if you still have your volume up via too high a CC1 value.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Rocky

You need to couple a low velocity value with a slowly swooping in curve of CC1 which controls volume in GPO. That's the controller usually controlling vibrato on instruments, and keyboards have their wheels defaulted to CC1, but with GPO and other Garritan instruments, that MIDI controller is routed to volume.

The low velocity will give you the softer attack, but you won't notice it so much if you still have your volume up via too high a CC1 value.

Randy B.
    Hi,

I think I used the wrong terms, I guess I'm too new in the field, but as I was previously using Edirol synth which had envelope ASDR, I thought of "attack" as a real fade-in feature. I see kontaktplayer doesn't have envelope features so I would have to draw the curve for every note which of course would be a lot of effort.
    I also find it a little sad that with velocity being the articulation for most instruments now, that negates the possibility for using velocity for note-volume.

I wonder if there is a plugin/VST that can add full envelope-ADSR to the output, so far I haven't found any. But nonetheless, GPO is just fantastic

Hello again, Rocky - Thanks for coming back with a report. I picture better now what the situation is.

An ADSR envelope (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release) is a classic component of synths, going back decades now. As you were doing in the Ediorl, setting values for the 4 steps does indeed shape the way a sound comes in and then behaves after the initial Attack.

But ADSR envelopes are also responsible for a lot of what we think of as "synth sound"--in the negative sense. And that's because the same envelope is sounding over and over in an unnatural way.

What you need to do now with GPO is re-think the way you work. With a bit of experience using GPO the way it's designed, you'll discover that it's much more flexible than what you're used to, and the results can be much more musical and organic.

"... I would have to draw the curve for every note which of course would be a lot of effort..."

Well - but that Is basically what you need to do. However, if you have a MIDI keyboard, you don't need to hand draw the curve of every note - you can Play that curve with the keyboard's Mod Wheel. CC#1 controls GPO's volume, and you can have it swell in as slowly as you want on one note, attack quickly on the next, etc on a constantly changing basis, the way "real" instruments sound when played by good musicians.

Many of us use a combination of playing and hand-drawing. Play what you intend at first, then go into a Piano Roll to fine-tune the resulting and very complex hills and valleys of CC1.

If you really start exploring that control, you will soon see that an ADSR envelope is extremely primitive in comparison.

You will also find that you Don't want to have the volume controlled by velocity. As said in this thread, the velocity controls the nature of the note's attack, Then in combination with CC1, you have complete control over both volume and articulation.

I really believe that you're stuck on the way a Synth was working and now wishing there was nothing else to learn, and that GPO will work the same way. Do the above - you will discover why GPO is capable of much more natural and fluid work than the Synths you're used to, and that's because the controls are much more sophisticated than a basic ADSR envelope.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum