• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Windows 7 Name Announced

Orcas Island

Windows 7 Name Announced

Many have been wondering what the official name for Windows 7 will be. Today, it is no longer a mystery: Introducing Windows 7.
    And, as you probably know, since we began development of the next version of the Windows client operating system we have been referring to it by a codename, "Windows 7." But now is a good time to announce that we've decided to officially call the next version of Windows, "Windows 7."
    The decision to use the name Windows 7 is about simplicity. Over the years, we have taken different approaches to naming Windows. We've used version numbers like Windows 3.11, or dates like Windows 98, or "aspirational" monikers like Windows XP or Windows Vista. And since we do not ship new versions of Windows every year, using a date did not make sense. Likewise, coming up with an all-new "aspirational" name does not do justice to what we are trying to achieve, which is to stay firmly rooted in our aspirations for Windows Vista, while evolving and refining the substantial investments in platform technology in Windows Vista into the next generation of Windows.
    Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore "Windows 7" just makes sense.

Re: Windows 7 Name Announced

I like it - leave the schmancy names to the Fisher-Price product marketers at Apple, and focus on technology that delivers from the desktop to the enterprise.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Rumor has it they are pushing for an earlier release to make up for WindowsMe..I mean Vista.

Talking Re: Windows 7 Name Announced

Hmmmm....fuzzy math:

Windows 3, Windows 95 (4), Windows 98 (5), Windows NT (6), Windows 2000 (7), Windows XP (8), Windows Vista (9)

This should be Windows 10.

Even if you leave out NT, it should be 9, if you also leave out 2000, it should be 8. Now if you were to leave everything in and add Windows 2003 Server . . . .

Seven is just not in the equation, unless they are gambling (their future) it is a lucky number for them.

Hi FLZapped,

well it makes sense:

1) 3.11
    2) 95
    3) 98
    4) ME
    5) XP
    6) Vista
    7) Windows 7

Both NT and 2000 are Corporate Editions which do not count in here (as they are both within the 4th version cycle)

I had Windows 3.10 before putting 3.11 on actually. And before that I'm pretty ready to assume that there must've been a windows 2 and 1 versions. No?

so... :-/

Either way, I like the windows 7 name. Feels "right" this time. Let's hope they don't destroy all companies requiring drivers and problems and reacking older computer...

Indeed, I remember having played with Window 1.04 or something. Fixed windows, very early stuff.

BTW, the numbering for the 32 bit systems has started with NT 3.5, then 4.
    Windows 2000 was 5.0, XP is 5.1. Vista is 6.0. There are also server editions, but I don't know their numbers.

If you don't like Vista (like me), you can install Server 2008 and strip as many services you don't need and you have a very stable, small super-XP!

Woodstock, GA

So if I hang in there, I can skip Vista all together? That is, if Windows 7 is stable and works as well as XP.

Chandler, Arizona

Hang in there and wait for Windows 7. I've read that it should be available this year and possibly as early as September.

I've tested the beta version in my lab at work at it's been quite stable. Much quicker than Vista. The install only took about 20 minutes.

Windows 7 will allow you to customize it and remove applications that aren't used. This is something I'm really looking forward to. This feature wasn't implemented in the beta.

OK... great, another version of Windows. I'm about to reconfigure my setup, and obviously I'm not going to wait until September! At this point, I'll probably ditch my Vista disc (drink coaster?) and go back to Windows x64.

What do you guys think? good plan?

Go Back to forum