• Register
  • Help

Topic: does kontakt support triggered legato samples?

Share/Bookmark

does kontakt support triggered legato samples?

Hi everyone, its been a while since I've been on here.. I've just been busy with projects I couldn't remember my old email address, I hope its okay to register again

I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer my question about Kontakt (apologies if this is in the wrong section?):

Can kontakt trigger specific samples to be played 'in-between' notes? (similar to VSL). i.e. I press key C3 and then when I press C4, kontakt plays a recorded 'slide' between C3 and C4. Then when I release C4, a release sample is played.

n.b: I'm talking about triggering a recorded 'in-between slide', not DSP or pitch shifting.

can Kontakt 2.2 and Kontakt 3 do all of the above? And if so, how? Does this require special programming knowledge? Should I purchase, are there any tutorials to describe how to do this anywhere?

I'm considering creating acoustic instruments such as violin, and I would only consider doing this if I get these 'in-between' articulations, and release samples triggered properly (I know EXS24 doesn't have this capability).

Many thanks

Matt

Re: does kontakt support triggered legato samples?

Quote Originally Posted by matt99b View Post
    Hi everyone, its been a while since I've been on here.. I've just been busy with projects I couldn't remember my old email address, I hope its okay to register again

I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer my question about Kontakt (apologies if this is in the wrong section?):

Can kontakt trigger specific samples to be played 'in-between' notes? (similar to VSL). i.e. I press key C3 and then when I press C4, kontakt plays a recorded 'slide' between C3 and C4. Then when I release C4, a release sample is played.

n.b: I'm talking about triggering a recorded 'in-between slide', not DSP or pitch shifting.

can Kontakt 2.2 and Kontakt 3 do all of the above? And if so, how? Does this require special programming knowledge? Should I purchase, are there any tutorials to describe how to do this anywhere?

I'm considering creating acoustic instruments such as violin, and I would only consider doing this if I get these 'in-between' articulations, and release samples triggered properly (I know EXS24 doesn't have this capability).

Many thanks

Matt
    Yes it does. VSL's libraries in Kontakt format had this. If you have Kontakt 2, check out the VSL legato instruments included and you'll hear it. Westgate Studios new modular collections all use this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82 View Post
    Yes it does. VSL's libraries in Kontakt format had this. If you have Kontakt 2, check out the VSL legato instruments included and you'll hear it. Westgate Studios new modular collections all use this as well.
    Ah great, thanks tfishbein82. Do you or anyone know if there are any tutorials or help files or manuals to explain how to achieve this?

Thanks,

Matt

actualy, you dont realy have to do anything, since this function is usualy achieved with a included script when you buy the libraries in kontakt format.

you could offcourse program and write a script of your own, but i would think the learning curve is rather steep on that one....

If you're producing your own library and asking how to script that, the concept is pretty simple (but deceptively so) -

1) Set up a new group for each interval, rising and falling
    2) Use a script to detect the change in pitch between the first note and the next
    3) Have the script trigger the appropriate group based on interval and rising/falling pitch

1 and 3 are pretty easy to implement, #2 can be tricky b/c you'll need some kind of an array to "remember" the last NoteOn event and compare it with the current one.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Will Roget View Post
    If you're producing your own library and asking how to script that, the concept is pretty simple (but deceptively so) -

1) Set up a new group for each interval, rising and falling
    2) Use a script to detect the change in pitch between the first note and the next
    3) Have the script trigger the appropriate group based on interval and rising/falling pitch

1 and 3 are pretty easy to implement, #2 can be tricky b/c you'll need some kind of an array to "remember" the last NoteOn event and compare it with the current one.
    thanks, yes I am producing libraries, so I will need to do this. I'm not a programmer though (I studied fortran and basic a long long time ago, and certainly don't want to go back to programming!), so it looks like this might stump me on this one

- unless, might anyone know of any kontakt script writing forums or anywhere I might be able to find someone who could help me out with this (i.e. by doing it for me!)?

Go Back to forum