• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Persisitent Sleet In Trees

Share/Bookmark

Persistent Sleet In Trees

I'm trying to expand my compositional skills and this piece is a result of my own persistents. The piano piece is based on an 8 note motive that expands around the opening interval. The idea was to get a line moving that had consistency and musical direction. Harmony was not a concern but just rhytmic and melodic motion. The result is:

I hope you enjoy listening to it.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Smile Re: Persisitent Sleet In Trees

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I'm trying to expand my compositional skills and this piece is a result of my own persistents. The piano piece is based on an 8 note motive that expands around the opening interval. The idea was to get a line moving that had consistency and musical direction. Harmony was not a concern but just rhytmic and melodic motion. The result is:

I hope you enjoy listening to it.
    I enjoyed listen to this, Rich!

The end...Wow! What a Stravinsky like cluster end chord!

This accentuated rytmic motiv could actually become a whole orchestral movement!

Thanks for sharing!

Fred

Re: Persisitent Sleet In Trees

Rich:

A definite contemporary piece of music. Kind of reminds
    me of the "Microcosmos" (Bela Bartok) and I think it would work very
    well as a "Prelude."

Interesting clusters to go with your 8-note motive.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks for the comments, Fredrik.

The end...Wow! What a Stravinsky like cluster end chord!
    That chord is really just taken from the 8 note motive and spread across the treble and bass clef. It does make a strong statement though.

Rich

Rhap2,

You are way to kind to compare me to Bela Bartok even though he is one of my favorite composers of the 20th century.

Those clusters that accompany the 8-note motive were realized by taking the upper and lower note of the melodic phrase and adding the inside neighbor. If that makes sense to you. And of course the cluster got transpose and canonically messed with as the piece developed, just as the melodic line did too.

Rich

Rich

I think you know I enjoy this style of music and this is a fine example of a modern composition.

That sleet will wake up the neighbors quick.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks Ron,

I have a difficult time breaking the mold of 19th century Romanticism (and I do love that period in music history). My brother keeps pushing me to develop a broader view and expand my capabilities. Hopefully, with this piece, I have learned a little about melodic direction and free association that is needed to break the barline feel as well as the I-IV-V-I harmonic structure. I have done it in other pieces but always with a reliance on tonal harmonic structure (even in an atonal piece if that is possible).

Again thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.

Rich

A most interesting piece. It moves in ways that are unpredictable. I enjoyed it!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

This was an interesting piece for me to work through. Thanks for allowing me some of the inspiration you have gleaned from your classes.

Rich

I think this is the most modern piece of yours I listened too. I do get a felling that you're kind of testing the waters. I be waiting to listen when you jump head first into the abyss.

But this is still a very worth while effort and well worth listening to.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast