• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio's Vel curves and Dynamic Ranges

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio\'s Vel curves and Dynamic Ranges

Old Gigasampler provides 3 velocity curves coupled with 5 dynamic ranges from \"high\" to \"low.\"

Is Gigastudio the same in this respect? Or are we given MORE possibilities?

J. Grant

Re: Gigastudio\'s Vel curves and Dynamic Ranges

I believe there are still only the three. Maybe four. Can\'t remember at the moment.

There are many ways around this tho.

For example your Keyboard may have its own velocity curves.

Also you can use an APP like MIDI OX to remap/create your own velocity curves. Atleast I\'m pretty sure you can I haven\'t delved into MIDI OX enough

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

John,

There is a big difference between GigaSampler and GigaStudio:

In GigaStudio the velocity curves can be given a scaling factor so an almost infinite number of response curves may be used. This makes it possible to match the response curves of different velocity layers, so that there will be no \"jumps\" in loudness when shifting from one layer to another.

I.e. you play a note of velocity 46 and trigger a piano-layer. The next note you play has a velocity of 47, and trigger mezzoforte. With proper use of the scaling factors there will be no \"jump\" in loudness.

Hans

[This message has been edited by Hans Adamson (edited 02-11-2002).]

That WOULD be useful.

J.G.

Where are \"articulation\" files posted for the various samples?

J.G.

\"In GigaStudio the velocity curves can be given a scaling factor so an almost infinite number of response curves may be used. This makes it possible to match the response curves of different velocity layers, so that there will be no \"jumps\" in loudness when shifting from one layer to another.\"

Is this something that needs to be set per sample disc or an adjustment of your controller?

I find it hard to play P samples without that JUMP in volume here and there.

I can set velocity in Sonar...same thing?

As you can tell this is not my best subject

Francis,

This is not the same thing as adjusting keyboard midi response. It is an internal setting in the sampled instrument. If you own a sample that you think suffers from unnatural jumps in loudness between velocity layers, play one note through all velocities 1-127.

If there is a sudden difference between two adjacent velocities, then there is room for improvement by giving the upper of the two velocities a different scaling factor.

Some keyboards have a number of response curves (for the correlation: physical velocity striking the key/midi velocity output). Some times a \"fixed value\" respons is included. This setting would be useful for testing the sample for all midi velocities (1-127).

Another way of doing it is to record a note into your sequencer and then change the vel. value of this note each time you play it back. This would be done in your sequencers event editor.

Hans

Go Back to forum