• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere / Out Of Memory Crash / Logic 8

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere / Out Of Memory Crash / Logic 8

New to omnisphere here. Love the sounds.

Works pretty well on Logic 8, up to the point where I'm using more than 6 or 8 tracks of it in Logic.

I then pretty reliably will get the "out of memory" error -- it seems to be an actual omnisphere error message, not from logic itself --- and then logic will do a hard crash with no chance to save the song.

I tried to conserve system resources by using it as a multi-out instrument -- i.e. using just one instance of it but triggering different voices from 8 different midi tracks. But this doesn't seem to help.

My system:

Quad Mac Pro 2.6
    8 GB Ram
    Logic 8.0.2
    OS 10.5.5

Re: Omnisphere / Out Of Memory Crash / Logic 8

...maybe a strange question...but...does your Mac actually see the 8gb of Ram.

I am asking this since this afternoon...I had 2 more gigs installed...and the Mac did not see the 2x 512mb units.

After re-arranging the units...all worked out!

Good luck.

did you switch off streaming?

Same problem here. Also.. it occasionally goes into a loop of full scale noise combined with the memory message. If I wasn't near a fader, I'm 100% certain that the monitors (and more importantly, my ears) would have blown.

Disk streaming is on and my total memory usage within logic on the mac pro/leopard machine is 2.2g (of 16g). I know that omnisphere isn't 32 bit yet so memory is limited but 2.2g isn't enough to warrant memory problems even in a 32 bit framework.

Quote Originally Posted by AGMusic View Post
    2.2g isn't enough to warrant memory problems even in a 32 bit framework.
    Actually, yes, that's pretty close to the limit for a single process on OSX. Try reducing the amount of memory used by Logic, or other plugins, or Omnisphere itself by reducing the pre-load size on the System page.

- Glenn

I have a prob of this nature "out of memory" when I switch between patches, for an example I'm searching for a specific sound, and when I browse about 20 patches, then I got this message.
    I just read before that it is possible to switch of streaming, how do you do that and does it solve this prob ?
    I have a macpro and 16Gb of memory.

Thanks

Sorry if i created the impression that Streaming should be off.
    I meant the opposite.
    It should be ON of course.
    Otherwise it will take much longer for many of the patches to load because the whole soundsource will be loaded into RAM.
    Thats a perfect way to max out your RAM and get the outofmemory message.
    I found the default streaming settings to be absolutely perfect for my system. (Macpro 8core)

Hans

BTW i have 10 GB of RAM and with the current version of OSX and Logic i can only use between 3 and 4 GB.
    Hopefully that will change when Snow Leopard is released.

Hans

Hi

I'm getting these same unexpected crashes too - with no chance of saving the song. This is Logic 8 latest version with 8 core and 9Gig of ram.

Actually it makes me very nervous about using Omnisphere - I am running other VI's too - but I don't seem to be running many more than I used to on my old G5.

I thought buying an 8 core mac would mean I could do all my work just on that but I see I may need to drag my PC / mac mini farms out of the cupboard again - which is a much less efficient way of working for me.

It seems that with more power in computers, developers create monster Vi's that hog these processors. I have to say at the moment I would have been happier with a intel version of atmosphere, less hungry on the computer resources.

I love the sounds created in Omnisphere and would dedicate a mac mini system to it - can anyone recommend a minum spec to get say 10 patches running at the same time in a wrapper like RAX on a dedicated mac mini?

Many thanks

ZOOT

Go Back to forum