• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

    The Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4 is one of the favorite works of orchestral literature. Inside the work is the 3rd movement, Scherzo, also known as Pizzacato Ostinato. The original work is primary set for plucked string orchestra with a center filler of brass and winds. Probably to give the string players a rest and let their fingertips cool down!

    Here is the original score rendered using Finale 2008 and GPO;

    www.garybricault.com/mp3/Sym4ScherzoOrchestra.mp3

    Now I like the orchestral version very much. However, I also like to make works available to non-orchestral settings as well. So I have set it here for saxophone octet (SSAATTBBs) here using Finale 2008 and CMB saxophones.

    http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Tcha...zoSaxOctet.mp3

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  2. #2

    Thumbs up Re: TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

    Thanks for reminding me of this interesting and rythmic piece, Gary!

    I immediately went to my library and took out my hard-cover score of the 4th symphony. I then followed your rendered version of the Scherzo with the full score in my hands.

    He is truly one of the best orchestrators, combining his Russian folklore heritage with Austro-Germanic precision and tradition!

    I enjoyed this orchestral rendering a lot!thinking or rendering the great masters with GPO is worth almost as much as conducting their masterpieces!

    Fred

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
    Thanks for reminding me of this interesting and rythmic piece, Gary!

    I immediately went to my library and took out my hard-cover score of the 4th symphony. I then followed your rendered version of the Scherzo with the full score in my hands.
    I am glad that you enjoyed it. It is a wonderful work, rather burried in the large symphony. It is rather unique in its form and presentation, a gem worth sharing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
    He is truly one of the best orchestrators, combining his Russian folklore heritage with Austro-Germanic precision and tradition!

    I enjoyed this orchestral rendering a lot!thinking or rendering the great masters with GPO is worth almost as much as conducting their masterpieces!

    Fred
    I absolutely agree. this orchestration is masturful, not forgetting the underlying work. I have produced a wind orchestra setting of this as well the the saxophone ensemble version that I have shared here. I believe that works extremely well in forms not typically thought of. And provides the means to perform it to a larger audiance that just within the concert halls of the world.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  4. #4

    Re: TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

    Nicely done! This is an arrangement that saxophonists should know about.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

    "It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

    Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    Nicely done! This is an arrangement that saxophonists should know about.
    Dan,

    Thanks. I hope to get a publisher to pick it up in the near future.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  6. #6

    Re: TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

    This was a cool idea. Is it difficult to arrange things like this for saxophones? I've never really tried to re-arrange things, but I'd imagine that doing something like this would be harder than usual.
    -Keith Fuller

    http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

    Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    This was a cool idea. Is it difficult to arrange things like this for saxophones? I've never really tried to re-arrange things, but I'd imagine that doing something like this would be harder than usual.
    Keith,

    Glad that you enjoyed it.

    In the case of this work I have used two different approaches;

    1.The wind orchestra version I worked directly from the orchestra score. I first played the whole score into Finale (lots'a work!) and then copied the voices into a suitable wind orchestra score templete.

    2. The saxophone ensemble version I produced from a piano reduction of the Scherzo that I then entered into the octet formate.

    In fact, I have also produced a saxophone quartet version the same way. It requires some voice tradeoffs and careful planning to work as much as I could into the arrangement.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  8. #8

    Re: TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

    Gary

    I have always loved this piece and you have done a great job of arranging this for the saxes.

    Well done

    Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

    http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

  9. #9

    Re: TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

    Gary, I'm not sure if sax players will love you or be cussin' at
    you for this -- sure keeps them busy -- but I do indeed like
    the arrangement a great deal... this will definitely play well
    in concert.

    I was surprised at the very different flavor and character
    the sax ensemble gives the movement.

    My best,


    David
    -----
    DavidSosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: TchaiKovsky - Sym. No. 4, Scherzo for CMB Sax Ensemble

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Gary, I'm not sure if sax players will love you or be cussin' at
    you for this -- sure keeps them busy -- but I do indeed like
    the arrangement a great deal... this will definitely play well
    in concert.

    I was surprised at the very different flavor and character
    the sax ensemble gives the movement.

    My best,


    David
    -----
    DavidSosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David,

    Hopefully they are loving it while they work through it. That sax ensemble is very much like a a string section of wind musicians. I am working on a number of large scale works for sax ensemble. Glad you like that work!

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •