• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Shingles...I have Shingles!

Shingles...I have Shingles!

sponsored links

I have been diagnosed as having shingles.

This is a serious, very painful medical condition that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! It encompasses almost my entire back, under my left arm and parts of the left side of my chest. It involves the roots of affected nerves. I don't know how long it will take to recover but it can't come too soon.

I'm not seeking sympathy. I am just indicating that I may not be around this forum for a period of time. OW!

My best to everyone.

Larry G. Alexander

Re: Shingles...I have Shingles!

There's an old wives tale over here you know, if the two sides of the rash meet around you ......

My mother had it some years ago, I do hope you get better soon, I know its awful.
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

That sounds terrible. I know that we all wish you the best.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Mr. Larry:

Shingles can attack people of all ages. As you say, it is
    very painful and the blisters can be annoying to take care
    of, but..........after a few weeks, everything will be fine.

It is so prevalent these days, that they now have a
    vaccine for shingles. Everyone should think about getting
    the shot.........

Hope you are still able to compose and enjoy your musical

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

A colleague of mine had this last year - he actually got over it pretty quickly. Thought you might like to hear a yes-it-can-be-done story.

Hope you can manage the pain, and that you recover soon.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

Larry, I take it that you are on Acyclovir 800 mg 5 times a day and perhaps on a course of prednisone as well, perhaps 40 mg or so a day, both of these drugs for about a week or so.

all the best for you and your health. I had shingles once but luckily recovered totally from it.

All your strings belong to me!

Awful news, Larry - I'm glad some knowledgeable folks here have posted some encouraging news about how quickly Shingles can be taken care of these days.

I personally have at least some hint of what the condition feels like. I've had Lichen Planus for years. Rashy bumps that will pop up unexpectedly most anywhere. Related to Shingles, but doesn't cover areas as large and has itchiness as a predominant symptom rather than pain. But it's also an inflammation of nerve endings - and I've certainly noticed that my relative level of anxiety exactly parallels the outbreaks. Unfortunately with Lichen Planus, there is no regimen that takes care of it. Each outburst leaves bumps that last 1, 2, 3 or more years. Doctors can do nothing.

Get this stuff taken care of! We'll wither away from Alexander music withdrawals otherwise!

Randy B.

OW...and OY!!

But if ANYONE can lick it, YOU are the one!!

Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

California Redwoods

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    I have been diagnosed as having shingles.
    Well, I had the problem a year or so ago. It is really the pits. The pain can be relieved, but sometimes it requires an additional medication to treat the nerves, which was prescribed for me, but created problems worse than the shingles, so be alert for side effects. Even though the shingles will be around for a while, the treatment should have you feeling better in a day or so.

This would probably be a good time to get in some good cussing practice.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast