• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Solo strings libraries

Share/Bookmark

Solo strings libraries

Hi, I need to work on some string quartet pieces and have to start working as soon as possible, the deadline is very tight, as usually. So far, I've came across Xsample solo strings and Dan Dean solo strings libraries. Any owners of these? Are there any other libraries which I might take into consideration? Any comments on sound, playability etc. would be highly appreciated. I own Garritan Strad, which I might try to mix and match to achieve slightly different 2nd violin timbre. Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Lumcas

Re: Solo strings libraries

The question is, what is the end result aimed for?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Look into Vienna Symphonic Library Solo Strings. Very detailed and loads of articulations.

Mahlon

Quote Originally Posted by mahlon View Post
    Look into Vienna Symphonic Library Solo Strings. Very detailed and loads of articulations.

Mahlon
    Yes but still the question is what the end result is aimed for.

No way to make a CD recording of a string quartet with libraries at the moment, the exception would be music that consists of staccatos only.

If it were for demonstration purposes, short pieces or background music then it is a different situation. You could look also into Kirk Hunter solo strings that have a nice intensity which I used here

http://www.palmrouter.de/compose/HFr...ingQuintet.mp3

Solo string samples are OK for about 30 seconds maximum in music that has to go to market imo. After that people will click the music away, possibly earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by hannes_f View Post
    yes but still the question is what the end result is aimed for.

No way to make a cd recording of a string quartet with libraries at the moment, the exception would be music that consists of staccatos only.

If it were for demonstration purposes, short pieces or background music then it is a different situation. You could look also into kirk hunter solo strings that have a nice intensity which i used here

http://www.palmrouter.de/compose/hfr...ingquintet.mp3

solo string samples are ok for about 30 seconds maximum in music that has to go to market imo. After that people will click the music away, possibly earlier.
    ... .

Hannes, I have experimented these days with many guitarlibs. They all sound great, but they all are far far away from a real guitarplayer!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Just to clarify: The solo string libraries that we have are fantastic products, especially VSL and XSample. And the Garritan Strad and Gofriller are fascinating technology, no doubt about this.

But the acid test will still be to play the music for laymen and waiting for their first reaction being bored, like moving on their chairs, looking around, asking for other music. With sampled solo strings this will happen muuuuch sooner.

With orchestra music we have much more variation of instrument groups, so we can get away easier with our samples.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    ... .

Hannes, I have experimented these days with many guitarlibs. They all sound great, but they all are far far away from a real guitarplayer!
    Guitar is one of the most versatile instruments and a good player can give every note a different tone. Samples can provide a quick sensation like "yeah it sounds like real". But after 30 seconds in an exposed mix ... end of story.

BTW there are many situations where some seconds of an instrument are more than enough ... commercials, trailers, cartoon music, comedy scores, documentation music. But a release of complete string quartet works is a completely different item.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
    Guitar is one of the most versatile instruments and a good player can give every note a different tone. Samples can provide a quick sensation like "yeah it sounds like real". But after 30 seconds in an exposed mix ... end of story.
    So true!

I compare this to a vocal library. If you play samples from a lib they can sound good, but if you want them to wake up to a real conversation, they fail... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I have the Dan Dean Solo Strings library. It's not as flexible for building ensembles as the strings in GPO and not as detailed (not as many articulations) as in Kirk Hunter's -- but I find that it is the one I use the most. The samples are sweeter (more uniform sound and less the bow scraping) than the KH and more present (less bland) than the GPO strings. And they don't include the string bass either.

There currently is no good string library for quartet and small ensemble writing. I use all three of the above. If you had to pick one, I'd go with the Dan Dean solo strings -- most of the time, this is the sound I find that I am after -- and a bass from another library.

Kirk Hunter is supposedly working on a new string library, as he recently asked for suggestions in this forum. No idea at this point how long it will take, what it will include, etc. If you do a search for the posts you can get some idea of what was requested.

Thanks everyone for your input. Well, being violin and viola player myself I know I'm asking here for a holy grail. My current goal is to make it sound not completely fake. Unfortunately, I am aware of the fact that strings are maybe the most expressive instruments. What is it aimed for - that is a very relevant question indeed. It's a TV feature, background music. Cues shouldn't exceed 60 seconds - rough guess, don't have final edit yet. We've already recorded more exposed cues with a real quartet but now it's impossible to do more (money, time, ignorance). I'm really starting to hate this constantly repeating situation more and more but have to fight and go on.

Hannes_F, thank you for pointing out Kirk Hunter, mahlon thank you, but VSL is out of my budget.

What should I do???

Go Back to forum