• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Topic: Detuning Sounds Like Phase Shifting?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Detuning Sounds Like Phase Shifting?

    Hi, this is my first post here...

    So I've been experimenting with GPO and I thought that by taking a track, doubling it and then detuning one slightly (using the Shift button with KP2's 'Tune' knob) would be a good way to 'humanize' the sound. The trouble is, when I do this, I get a phase-shifter sound effect going on.

    Am I doing this wrong? Is there a better way to achieve my humanizing goal? I did do a forum search for my inquiry -- which is how I found out how to detune by very small increments -- but couldn't find anything to answer my question.

  2. #2

    Re: Detuning Sounds Like Phase Shifting?

    Quote Originally Posted by AQ Ink View Post
    ...taking a track, doubling it and then detuning one slightly...
    Actually, this is precisely how to create a phase shifting effect. You need two different samples to have it sound natural. Which instruments are you treating this way? For the winds you can use the ensemble patches ("clarinet 2," for example). Those will layer just fine with the main patches.
    - Jamie Kowalski

    All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

  3. #3

    Re: Detuning Sounds Like Phase Shifting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    Actually, this is precisely how to create a phase shifting effect. You need two different samples to have it sound natural. Which instruments are you treating this way? For the winds you can use the ensemble patches ("clarinet 2," for example). Those will layer just fine with the main patches.
    Hi, Skysaw, thanks for responding.

    I was thinking that it probably turned out that way because it was an exact duplicate, but by "different samples", do you mean not duplicated, or something like one track of Violins 1 KS and another of Violins 1 Lush? In my failed experiment, I was using two tracks of Violins 1 Lush.

    What I wound up doing later was just recording two tracks by hand so they wouldn't be exact and adjusting the modulation so they wouldn't be modulated exactly the same either.

    Later on I'll try the detuning again as per your suggestion. Thanks again!

  4. #4

    Re: Detuning Sounds Like Phase Shifting?

    I am referring to two instances of the same patch. Violin I Lush + Violin I Lush will certainly give you phasing issues. You could layer Violins I & II together, or perhaps try layering with the "full strings" patch or the KS patch, but those might use the same sample set as the lush, so I don't know whether or not you'd get phasing there.

    Of course layering like this on the violin section will give you an enormous sounding string section, so it might not sound natural, depending on what you're trying to do.

    A much better solution that involves some work is to instead layer a few of the solo string patches with the ensemble patches. This can be very effective, especially if you vary the velocities, timings, CC#1 on each track.
    - Jamie Kowalski

    All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

  5. #5

    Re: Detuning Sounds Like Phase Shifting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    A much better solution that involves some work is to instead layer a few of the solo string patches with the ensemble patches. This can be very effective, especially if you vary the velocities, timings, CC#1 on each track.
    I just experimented with your above suggestion, Skysaw. Totally Awesome. This sounds so much better! I am much more confident that I'll be able to get better at this now.

    Thanks!

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •