• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Range (Completed)

Share/Bookmark

The Range (Completed)

This is a piece I posted a week or so back but completed. I know that in terms of mixing its a disaster. I did it mostly through cheap headphones and cheap speakers - but that's a big step up from just cheap headphones for me!!! So what that means is the best way to listen to it is on headphones and you can probably get what I was going for.

This is my modern take on the old Western in case you were curious. Here goes:

The Range
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: The Range (Completed)

Hi Keith!!

That was SWEET!!!!

Very very cool!!

I'm jealous!! I've wanted to tackle that sort of thing but haven't been brave enough.

Excellent job!!

Take Care,
    Steph

Keith--

wonderful fiddling =)

I very much enjoyed your use of space in the arrangement. It is hugely successful in creating the environment of the west and keeps you interested in the piece, awaiting more.

And I am still awaiting more!

If I may ask, what did you use for the whistle?

Mixwise, listening on laptop speakers (which also lack a low end), it's doesn't sound like the huge disaster that you think it is. Your space and depth to the whistle is perfect, especially in the start when it's supposed to be far off. If anything, there's a double-stop midway through the piece that's too muddy from itself, and I could stand to hear a little more bass thud in the footstomps

I was very pleasantly surprised how convincing the strad sounds in this context. How many hours of work was that?

Best,
    Reegs

Keith

That was great!

I assume that was the strad and you really made it sing.

Cool piece

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    This is a piece I posted a week or so back but completed. I know that in terms of mixing its a disaster. I did it mostly through cheap headphones and cheap speakers - but that's a big step up from just cheap headphones for me!!! So what that means is the best way to listen to it is on headphones and you can probably get what I was going for.

This is my modern take on the old Western in case you were curious. Here goes:

The Range
    Great work Keith. Very atmospheric and well controlled mix of style and instrumentation. Also enjoyed listening to some of your other tracks on Soundclick!

Regards,
    Graham

I commented elsewhere on this, Keith, concering
    how much I liked the work -- but I wanted to chime
    in here, also, on the mix.

I had this up on my JBL's -- the most unforgiving
    beasts you can imagine -- and it sounded quite,
    quite good... excellent presence to it.

While I certainly recommend "compromise" mixing
    (checking with both speakers and headphones;
    and arriving at a middle-ground that works well
    for both); you seem to have hit the mark well
    with this.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Keith:

Liked it before and like it more now.

The "Western aura" you created is awesome.
    This is definitely cinematic music. It is so
    descriptive and alive with what the 'Old West'
    was all about. Those slides really tell a story
    in their own right and the vastness of space
    that you have created is fantastic.

Great score here, Keith

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Good job like always Keith, i´ve noted in your differents works that you work the ambiences quite well, in this case since the begining you feel that you are in a western mood, but at the same time you little by little changes, intriging at first, impetuous later and reflexive finally. I find the mix very well done. Excellent!.

Victor

thanks everyone for listening.

stephanie - doesn't take bravery to write music, just a lot of time - which i think we both have living in michigan.

reegs - the whistle i used was a "celtic tin whistle" which is included in Logic Pro in the World Music Jam Pack. its not very playable, but you can achieve some great results by editing the midi data. and it took a few days to write and a few days to mix. it would go a lot quicker, but i write and mix simultaneously (which is probably a terrible way to work).

rolifer - i was indeed the strad, 4 actually. 1 playing the effects, and three playing the melody/harmonies. i tried to mess with them so they all didn't sound exactly the same. i also used the gofriller for a small part.

graham - thanks for listening to some of my other tunes as well. i appreciate it.

david - i'm glad to hear that it didn't sound too bad mixing wise. i try to play everything out of my laptop speakers, computer speakers, headphones, nice computer speakers, and a car. i just started doing this lately and its really improved the quality of the sound i think. i know it would make tons more sense just getting monitors, but i'm a bit short changed at the moment.

jack - thanks for giving each one a listen. i love cinematic music, and i always try and picture a scene while writing. i'm glad that the old west stands out here. with the violins i really tried to make it sound raw. lots of slides, not much vibrato and lots of detuning and bends. this is something that i was only able to achieve by using the strad.

victor - a complimant from you always means so much. you are one of my favorite composers on this forum and i always look forward to your new posts.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Very Nice and Cinematic!! I am impressed at the work you were able to do with (as you say)
    mostly through cheap headphones and cheap speakers

I guess there should be no excuses for not making music sound so realistic.

Thanks

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast