• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Just joined

Share/Bookmark

Just joined

Hi all,

Was surfing around looking for a great place to hang and learn about arranging. This place is full of intellectuals and I'm looking forward to picking up a lot of tips.

I never took any formal classes on arranging. (wife, kids, college, broke) I've been self taught and do pretty well in the combo style. I wanted to undertake a larger project and hope to learn a lot by doing so.

I want to take a typical big band arrangement and convert it to concert band. I use Finale so cut and paste etc. is not a problem for various instruments.

I would like to first get some advice on which concert band instruments can duplicate the instrumentation of a big band arrangement. I would like to keep it as simple as possible to get it sounding good then I will start experimenting with re arranging and tweaking. But I would appreciate a jump start to get the best sound. I may never play it with a real band but this will be my first adventure in a larger project.

Perhaps this isn't something that can be done easily but any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Just joined

Hi cmore and welcome to the forum!

Hope you enjoy it here and learn from t the knowledgeable people here. And good luck on your project.

Looking forward to your participation.

Best wishes,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    Hi all,

Was surfing around looking for a great place to hang and learn about arranging. This place is full of intellectuals and I'm looking forward to picking up a lot of tips.

I never took any formal classes on arranging. (wife, kids, college, broke) I've been self taught and do pretty well in the combo style. I wanted to undertake a larger project and hope to learn a lot by doing so.

I want to take a typical big band arrangement and convert it to concert band. I use Finale so cut and paste etc. is not a problem for various instruments.

I would like to first get some advice on which concert band instruments can duplicate the instrumentation of a big band arrangement. I would like to keep it as simple as possible to get it sounding good then I will start experimenting with re arranging and tweaking. But I would appreciate a jump start to get the best sound. I may never play it with a real band but this will be my first adventure in a larger project.

Perhaps this isn't something that can be done easily but any advice would be appreciated.

cmore:

Welcome to the Garritan Forum. A place where people
    help other people with their music and motivate them
    to greater, futuristic achievement.

I think you need to look at "Concert and Marching Band"
    as a source in order to succeed with your objective.

A good number of our Forum members have produced really
    great work with this sampled library.

Hope to hear some of your music soon,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

This place is full of intellectuals and I'm looking forward to picking up a lot of tips.
    Yes, we be smart.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

I'm leanring already. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    cmore:

I think you need to look at "Concert and Marching Band"
    as a source in order to succeed with your objective.

Jack

Welcome, Cmore!

Your first post was inspiring. I really enjoyed hearing about your relationship with music, and how you're eager to plunge into a bigger project - broadening horizons et al.

And you're right, there are definitely people here who will be able to help you out with things as you go along.

Be sure to use the navigation tool at the bottom of the page so you can access the other Garritan Forums - some for technical assistance, tips, tutes on composition - etc!

Most of us have a number of the Garritan Libraries, and so the advice you've already gotten is spot on - that the Marching Band Library is chock full of exactly the kind of instruments you need for what you're talking about.

I look forward to hearing more from you as time goes on.

Randy B.

Hi all,

Just keep in mind that free advice is often worth less than what you pay for it

I would like to first get some advice on which concert band instruments can duplicate the instrumentation of a big band arrangement. I would like to keep it as simple as possible to get it sounding good then I will start experimenting with re arranging and tweaking. But I would appreciate a jump start to get the best sound.

A standard big band is comprised of 2 alto saxes, 2 tenor saxes, and one baritone sax, along with 4-5 trumpets and 4-5 trombones, at least one of which is a bass trombone. Each of these instruments will have their own individual and unique parts. The rhythm section consists of piano, guitar, bass, and drum set.

The saxes and brass are all found in a concert band, so those parts will transfer directly. A quick and dirty method for the rest is as follows - copy trumpet parts to flutes and clarinets. Trombone parts will copy to french horns, baritones, and tuba. Sax parts will copy to bass clarinets and bassoon. How you divide the parts up is up to you to experiment with.

You're wise to start with something simple (Count Basie or Glenn Miller) because, in addition to this being a learning experience for you, school age musicians are not as capable as professionals and you must take into account the technical level of difficulty of each part as well as the note ranges. For example, trumpet players at that age can usually play up to a written G on top of the staff (middle school) or up to the written C or D above that (high school) where college and professional trumpet players can play up to the G above that. You'll also need to aware of how much of the time your brass players are playing. Younger players don't have the physical endurance of older, more physically mature, players. Rests are very important for all players.

I would recommend some book study first before diving into a piece - mainly because you can save yourself a lot of grief and prevent rewriting any more than you have to. There are several standard jazz arranging textbooks (Inside the Score - Rayburn Wright, Arranged by Nelson Riddle, Sounds and Scores, The Complete Arranger - Sammy Nestico) available in addition to the Chuck Israels arranging course offered for free on this website.http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...play.php?f=107. More books can be found at http://www.penders.com/penders/catal...cPath=695_1102.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure it will be the first of many.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

I created the following using the JAZZ package.
    http://schneb.googlepages.com/music8

Direct MP3 Link
    http://schneb.googlepages.com/gb-08.m4a

The reason why I would suggest this package PLUS the Marching Band package is because you can add various mutes to the Brass instruments to make your marching band sound more Glen Miller-ish. Would love to hear a live recording of your results!

Schneb
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Hello again, Cmore

See all the responses you're already getting? This Forum really is a helpful place. Activity ebbs and flows, but there's always action going on.

I just noticed that you've been given some advice from bmdaustin about keeping your project(s) simple enough for school age musicians to play. I don't think you said you're aiming to develop pieces for school though--? If not, I would encourage you to do whatever you want with your arrangements, even if they could only be played by top-flight pros - Because that's one of the joys of composing and arranging with virtual instruments on a computer - the sky is really the limit!

Randy B.

Hello cmore and welcome to our forums.

You have already received some good advice and suggestions. I would add particularly that the Garritan Concert and Marching Band library, already suggested by Rhap2, would be a good choice for you. This sampled library will probably contain all the instruments you would need and a few more besides and the sampled instruments are very high quality.

Good luck with your music.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum