• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Supersymmetric Strings

Supersymmetric Strings

I really don't know what to say about this one. I composed the second half first and then added the beginning. I almost called this one SUSY, but was afraid no one would know what I was talking about 'cept for the few other geeks/nerds that are around. Bear in mind I am not pointing fingers.

I guess I do wonder if either theme is too repetitive, but then I always wonder that about my works.

Most all of the instruments are doubled with GPO and others to try to get as much variation in the sounds as possible.

I should add that this is not complete as is. There will be something added onto the end, I just don't know what yet.

Here it is

Hope you enjoy

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: Supersymmetric Strings

A very cohesive work Ron. I think your thematic approach was not at all too repetitive. You handled the music masterfully. The use of some repetition in this work added to the fluidity of your transitions. You successfully combined the new and familiar seamlessly. The darker brass area was most impressive.

An honestly awesome and skillful work Ron!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

I love this piece!! and what superb textures ....even if it isn't finished yet.

Every time you mention in your thread that you fear the piece might be a bit repetitive, I find it to be one of your best works. As I mentioned before in a thread of yours, you're a wiz-kid at the refinement of repetition--it works for you. It never directly sounds repetitive to me because you are so skillful at "mutating" and disguising it. Use of repetition is one of the many tools we composers have in are arsenal..don't fight it...you handle it with finesse every time.

Glad I caught this one!!!

Right from the beginning, this piece captures the listener.

In my opinion, this is what I call "mild atonality." It is
    absent of a key center, but not radical enough to be
    rejected by folks that will not venture into atonality at

This piece would do well as an "introduction" to atonality
    and that is why I rate it "mild atonality."

Great score and orchestration. Loved the combination of
    instruments and their lines. I wanted to hear a longer
    chord at the end. It kind of ended abruptly for me, but
    that's just a subjective assessment........lol

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Are you down south now?

This one was a month in the making and you know that I usually get 'em out faster than that, but it was worth it to get it right.

I do hope you like SC.

I am sure you know how it is when you have listened to your own piece a few hundred times. Flaws that few would hear are jumping out at you like a ton of bricks. I guess it all gets to sound repetitive after that many times thru it. But then that makes me find the ways to alter it a bit to try to hide the repetitions.

I have been having some majpr problems with Sonar lately with notes not being turned off. I had a nice long chord at the end, but random notes from previous spots in the piece were popping up and to silence them, I had to cut the last note short.

Steve (Sosmus) calls this style Wrong Note Consonance. Mild atonality fits well also. I just like the sound that some notes make when rubbed up against each other.

Thanks guys. I do appreciate the response in these slower days of Autumn.

It sounds fantastic Ron, mysterious and profound, is like a journey to magical and surrealistic world. The render is quite well too, a very convincing orchestration sound.

I am in school right now, so I can't listen to your new one again. I did listen to it yesterday, but like to to a piece at least twice before commenting. I will this evening.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on mine and rest assured, I will return the favor.

Ron -

I LOVE it! The composition, the orchestration and most certainly the sequencing is very well done! I also like the "the sound that some notes make when rubbed up against each other", as you put it! LOL!

Curious. . . You mentioned that you doubled the instruments to help get as much variation in sound as possible. Did you use other orchestral libraries in addition to GPO? If so, which did you use? I'm finding that combinations of the best in orchestral and other instrumental libraries really does seem to help make a great rendering. I especially like many instruments from the GPO, JABB and the Kirk Hunter orchestral libraries combined together.

Looking forward to hearing the ending when you finish it!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Nice to see you back with another composition.

I use GPO, JABB and EWQL Gold and RA and try to get as many of the instruments to play as I can. I really think it gives it that realistic effect.

This one uses some of the lush strings and some of the solos from GPO. I like to use the horns from ewql in the high registers and the horns from GPO doubled, down an octave. I use a number of the solo instruments from GPO along with triples from ewql. FOr example in this one I am using 2 solo Oboes from GPO with a 3-some from ewql. It's difficult getting ewql to mix together just because they have so much embedded reverb, so it does take some work, but I think it works.

Thanks for the listen.

What a rich tapestry you weave, Ron!

As pointed out by others earlier, this piece captures the listener right from the opening notes.

I take exception to the quality of atonality that others hear in this. It sounds very tonal yet without distinct key center. I hear a Wagnerian/Lisztian influence throughout. Little motives float in an out throughout this piece. I especially like how you intersperse soloistic sections with full orchestral colors.

I am a little dissappointed in the ending. But, from your comments, more is coming! Just when the piece got interesting, dark and forboding, you backed off and brought the piece to an end. I hope you are building a climax that brings out the power of the dark brasses you keep hitting at.

Sorry, I am inserting my desires into the piece. Forgive me. I know that whatever you have in mind for this piece, it will be fantastic.

The mix, the orchestration and the overall presentation of this is superb. You have come a long way in learning the powers of GPO and other libraries. Thanks for sharing this piece.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast