• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Suite Musical Desserts #3 dedicated to Larry

Share/Bookmark

Suite Musical Desserts #3 dedicated to Larry

Hello all,

If you missed some of my previous posts, I’m composing a collection of piano pieces called Suite Musical Desserts. Each one will be (at least in theory) quite different from one another and each one will be dedicated to someone on this forum because I just love the spirit, support and… ,for lack of a better word, ..fun I find here. My hope is to orchestrate them in the future so there will be two versions of the suite.

This entry is “Revenge of the Duppie” and is dedicated to Larry Alexander. Larry’s music is always so much fun to listen to, it just perks you right up after a bad day at the office or wherever. Of course, I had to put in some of his little quirky delights that makes his music so infectious and attempt to make it fun loving like Larry’s. (Hard to do!)

It’s kind of a Jazzy/ Bluesy concoction with a twist of Rag in the middle. The title comes NOT from Duppie—a depressed urban professional (who are probably growing in numbers at this point) but from the Jamaican beliefs in spirits/souls which come back from the dead and for some people, cause unrelenting grief. They are mischievous, generally up to no good, and if they don’t like you, watch out. Thought the title went well for the Halloween season approaching too. At any rate, the Duppie does raise havoc to the piece at the end…..darn Duppie!!

After hearing about your ordeal with shingles Larry, I set out to write this piece for you as sort of a “get well musical card”. If I spent to much time on it, you would be all well, (which I hope of course is fast for you because I’ve had shingles too and I know it is no picnic.) so it is kind of stiff sounding for jazz (mouse entry sucks! Try to do blues swing with a mouse…impossible) and the gain was set too high, but I needed to get this out to ya to cheer you up a bit.

I was hoping to buy a midi keyboard, but with the economy as it is, I’m having clients either cutting back on their designs or dropping projects all together, which is good and bad for me. Bad of course, because my income goes South , Good in that now I have more time for composing. …so maybe next year.
    This performance is using the stage perspective of GAS.

Enjoy, Cass

Revenge of the Duppie

Re: Suite Musical Desserts #3 dedicated to Larry

How delightful! Thank you , Mr. Cass, for your generosity in dedicating your fine music to me. I am honored beyond words.

What a fine, creative piece of music you have written! It certainly lifts my spirits and I really appreciate that. You are such a talented composer.

Thanks again, my friend.

My best to you,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Cass

Who knows, maybe if you lose all of your jobs you would be able to compose full time and then get "Discovered" and become richer beyond your wildest dreams. Imagine... no more working in the rain...no more worries about making payroll or whether or not immigration is going after some of your workers. Great times ahead!!

Blues..swing...jazz...ragtime.. this piece has got it all.

What a wonderful addition to your growing list of fantastic pieces.

Very well done!

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post

What a fine, creative piece of music you have written! It certainly lifts my spirits
    Thanks again, my friend.

My best to you,

Larry
    Larry,

I achieved what I wanted to do with this piece, If I helped lift your spirits a bit, that’s the reward for writing that means the most to me.

Thanks for the kind comments my friend. Get well and up to snuff soon, ya hear!
    With you indomitable and resilient spirit, I'm sure it won't take long!!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Cass

Who knows, maybe if you lose all of your jobs you would be able to compose full time and then get "Discovered" and become richer beyond your wildest dreams. Imagine... no more working in the rain...no more worries about making payroll or whether or not immigration is going after some of your workers. Great times ahead!!

Ron
    Ron,

I was wondering how accurate your clairvoyant prognostications are? If 100% I’ll take you up on quitting my landscape business. As far as, “composing full time and getting discovered” yeah, I’d be discovered all right, discovered that there really isn’t all that much talent lurking within,….sigh…..

By the way, I know living in Maryland you get that condensation called rain. This is New Mexico man…rain?.......kind of like getting snow in Miami. But thanks for the concern…and more over, I think immigration is going after me, not my workers; they don’t like people from moist places…(Seattle 25 years,) our skin looks to smooth!!

Cass

Hi, i enjoyed it a lot and the style is quite well worked, it seems an original of the 20´s in all its aspects!!!!. This is the kind of work i love: re-create old styles. Congratulations man!.

Victor

Excellent stuff, Cass! A great way to start my Sunday morning. A joyful, feisty but also misschievous, faintly threatening piece.

Best,
    Jan

Cass,

Another great piece!

Energetic, jazzy, swingy, raggy, funny... all these and more in one continuous flow!

Expertly composed and moused!

Looking forward to your next piece...

Yudit

Hi Cass, This piece was a lot of fun to listen to. Full of surprises and twists, it reminded me of the old Looney Tunes Cartoons for some reason.
    A great compositional and rendering effort! I like the tone of the piano on this one too. The forum waits for more sweets! John (bigears)

Cass:

Absolutely great piece from a talented composer.

I know Larry is deeply honored with this dedicated
    piano gem.

Love everything about it: style, melody, harmony,
    rhythmic changes, and, most of all, the rendering
    of the Garritan Authorized Steinway. Big finish...
    super.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast