• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Moral of story: don't play with spiders!

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Moral of story: don't play with spiders!

Yesterday, i was bitten 6 times by Black Widow spiders.

They were babies and i'm ok, but the doc put me on antibiotics as a precausion.

I found a rather large female Black Widow by the back door where i work. I knew to be very careful with this thing. I squirted it with alcohol, and then when it was heavily intoxicated i pushed it into a clear cup with a long stick, so i could take it in and show it to all my fellow employs.

A little while later, i thought maybe behind the small web there would be a nest, and we since we don't need Black Widows all over our rear entrance, i went back to inspect and exterminate.

I doused the location with a solvent and stuck a stick into the hole to fish out a nest that was made of sawdust. It had in it the remains of the male. I didn't see any youngins there, but i gave it another splash of solvent, and squashed just to make sure.

After i returned to my workbench, i felt spiders crawling up my legs inside my pants and biting me around my knees. I was slapping them, but at the same time I was thinking that i was probably just imagining that there are spiders on me, because I have always felt spiders crawling on me after seeing one, even if it is on TV.

I then felt a bite on my back just below the belt, and saw one on my chest running toward my face. I smacked it with a panel. It was small, about 1/8th of an inch, black and shaped like it's mom, but with clear legs.

My best guess is that the children were already scattering about, before i went back to kill the nest.

I had various symptoms, a weak feeling, a little dizzy, muscle aches, a weird numbness in my face and teeth. The doctor said none of the bites have a hard spot or knot on them, but if any start to hurt or if any get a hard knot in them, to come back in before the the three day appointment. He also said that the symptoms and others may come and go for the next few days, and it's ok, but if any stay and don't go, i need to come back in.

Just before writing this, i found a bite that we didn't see yesterday, and it is sore, and feels a little bit hard, so tomorow i will go back first thing in the morning.

The weirdest symptom of all, is when i was driving home yesterday, i was seeing purple spots, they looked like clouds, but were between my face and the windshield. I would blink and they would go away, but return in about 30 to 40 seconds. Then when i was watching TV i could see them. They lasted untill 9 pm.

Well, i won't be messing with spiders anymore, learned my lesson.

David

Re: Moral of story: don't play with spiders!

David,

You would do Jeff Daniels proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    David,

You would do Jeff Daniels proud.

Everyone at work was calling me Spiderman today.

You sure know how to catch a reader's attention with an opening line.

Antibiotics for a venomous spider bite?

They have something called "Black widow antivenin". "Antivenin" is French for anti-venom.

I just looked up Black Widow Spider on Wikipedia and its bite is nothing to mess around with. Be sure to tell your doctor each and every symptom in detail. This is NOT the time to be macho.

Get well soon!

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Here's hoping there are no nasty surprises in store!

David,

You sure know how to spin a story!

Can we expect a Spider Symphony from this experience?

Purple spots? Oh that's normal.

If you stare at the little black cross in the center of this ring of blinking purple dots, the dots will turn green and eventually disappear. But if you stare at the purple dots themselves, you'll see that they only blink off momentarily and are never green.

Now that is just plain amazing. No doubt the physics are simple, but when I saw the pink dots beginning to disappear I laughed myself sick.

Wow, this would be bad enough as an opening of a horror movie but it happened for real? I'd die of fright long before the venom got to me

Here's a pikky from one of our nationals. You got away lightly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...aspider122.xml
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Remind me to stay away from this forum during lunch.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum