• Register
  • Help

Topic: What does work/GPO?

Share/Bookmark

What does work/GPO?

Hey,
    A while back I posted a question here, saying I was going to buy GPO, but would it work in Sonar, because the info keeps mentioning Kontakt. I was reasured it would work in Sonar. Now I've got GPO (3.0) in my hands, and in the manual it says: "The sounds of Personal Orchestra will only work with Native Instruments Kontakt and the bundled Kontakt player will not work with any other sampler.". . . So what happened there? Was the person who answered my question illinformed or does it work? I can't check myself because as of today I've got Sonar LE, which came free with my soundcard, and I haven't been able to work out how to work that yet, and an order for Sonar Home Studio 7XL, which I'm now wondering if I should cancel quick as h*ll, because they haven't sent it yet it seems..

What do I do? I want to use the GPO-sounds with real audio and with some of the sounds you get in Sonar, like bass and drums.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: What does work/GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by huey View Post
    Hey,
    A while back I posted a question here, saying I was going to buy GPO, but would it work in Sonar, because the info keeps mentioning Kontakt. I was reasured it would work in Sonar. Now I've got GPO (3.0) in my hands, and in the manual it says: "The sounds of Personal Orchestra will only work with Native Instruments Kontakt and the bundled Kontakt player will not work with any other sampler.". . . So what happened there? Was the person who answered my question illinformed or does it work? I can't check myself because as of today I've got Sonar LE, which came free with my soundcard, and I haven't been able to work out how to work that yet, and an order for Sonar Home Studio 7XL, which I'm now wondering if I should cancel quick as h*ll, because they haven't sent it yet it seems..

What do I do? I want to use the GPO-sounds with real audio and with some of the sounds you get in Sonar, like bass and drums.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Huey,

I assure you I am not ill-informed. I have been using GPO and Sonar together since 2004 or so, and you will be fine. GPO will work in Sonar as a VST. Sonar will scan automatically for any new VST's, so you should have no trouble with that part. You can either load the instruments directly into Kontakt 2 or 3 or load them into the Kontakt player that comes with it, depending on your preference. I prefer to load into Kontakt 2 or 3, but the player is fine too. Basically what the manual is saying is that you can not use GPO in Gigasampler, or Halion or any other sampler.

I'm sure that someone else will be able to expand on my answer, but there's no need for you to cancel your order. GPO and Sonar work great together.

Take Care,
    Steph

I'm so sorry if it came off rude. I didn't mean to be - just got nervous because, well, same reason I asked the question in the first place - nervous sort of person

Thanks again for reasuring me - I couldn't find the original post, so I wasn't sure if you'd said you used Sonar yourself or if you'd just said "yeah should work"..

Again, thanks so much. Now I've just got to read my manual for Sonar about a million more times and figure out how the heck to get sound out of it, then I'll be good to go.. *clutches head*...

Methinks I liked things better with the very untechnical guitar and "press record"-freeware.. :/

Cake for you?

Hi again Huey!

Don't worry, I didn't take your response as rude, I could tell that you were nervous about spending such a lot of $$ for something that may not work. I have been in that situation too, and I know what it's like when that panic sets in. I was just wanting to reassure you that it would be fine.

Set up is generally straight forward, and I must admit that I don't remember all of the steps because I've been up and running for quite sometime.

I know that someone else can explain that part of it much better than I can, so I'll let them

Once you get things going, it's piece of cake

No apologies needed, and thanks for the cake!!

Take Care,
    Steph
    I'm so sorry if it came off rude. I didn't mean to be - just got nervous because, well, same reason I asked the question in the first place - nervous sort of person

Thanks again for reasuring me - I couldn't find the original post, so I wasn't sure if you'd said you used Sonar yourself or if you'd just said "yeah should work"..

Again, thanks so much. Now I've just got to read my manual for Sonar about a million more times and figure out how the heck to get sound out of it, then I'll be good to go.. *clutches head*...

Methinks I liked things better with the very untechnical guitar and "press record"-freeware.. :/

Cake for you?

Hey,

Hello Huey,

First, I can support Steph here and confirm absolutely that GPO works with Sonar. I use GPO, JaBB and CoMB with both Finale 09 and Sonar Producer.

It is a very simple process to load GPO so it works with Sonar. When you have installed GPO, just try the following steps:

(1) Go to your VST folder: C:\Program Files\Vstplugins
    (2) You should find the following files there: KontaktPlayer2.dll, KontaktPlayer2_8out.dll, KontaktPlayer2_16out.dll.
    (3) Copy the KontaktPlayer2.dll
    (4) Go to your 'Cakewalk' (Sonar) VST folder: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins
    (5) Paste the KontaktPlayer2.dll into the above folder.

The KontaktPlayer2_8out.dll, KontaktPlayer2_16out.dll and 'lighter' versions of the full Kontakt player 2 giving 8 and 16 slots and these can be added too if you want.

That's all you need to do. Launch Sonar and it should pick up the new KP2 plugin with GPO. To check all is well, try the following.

(1) Open Sonar and load an existing MIDI file or a create new MIDI project.
    (2) Go to the 'Synth Rack', (Views\Synth Rack).
    (3) In the 'Synth Rack' window, click on the + button.
    (4) Follow 'Soft Synths\VST Plugins and Kontakt Player 2 should be listed there.
    (5) Click on 'Kontakt Player 2' and the 'Insert Soft Synth Options' window should open.
    (6) Click on OK and 'Kontakt Player 2' should load.
    (7) On the Synth Rack Menu, click on the 'Properties button' (middle button).
    (8) Kontakt Player 2 should open and the Garritan libraries you have installed should all be there.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

This is a wee bit old but might help;

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO-Sonar-Tutorial.htm

Hi, Huey.

I remember the earlier thread where you asked the question. I'm glad you've gotten a lot of friendly, helpful replies on this new thread. Looking through it, I'm wondering if it may still not be a bit confusing to you?

The basic thing is that you were told GPO works in Sonar--and of course the answer is Yes. GPO was primarily designed to work inside sequencers, such as Sonar.

When you got your library and you saw the phrase "only works with Kontakt" it seemed like a contradiction. That's because it's all new to you, and you didn't know that there are several distinctly different things involved:

1)--The library of samples (GPO).
    2)--The engine which plays those samples (Kontakt).
    3)--The sequencer program where one inserts Things which make sound--and the Thing in question is the combination of Kontakt inside of which you've loaded GPO.

Michael and Stephanie gave you good instructions for getting Sonar to recognize GPO if it wasn't automatically loaded into the right folder. Basically, Sonar's program folder has a sub-folder labeled "VST"--and all the instruments and effects you want to use need to have their .dll files in there so Sonar knows where to find them.

One more thing that needs clarification - When you open up an "instance" of Kontakt inside of Sonar, and then load GPO into it, you will be dealing with two different kinds of tracks in Sonar's basic Track View. One track will be for MIDI, and you can easily recognize it because of the MIDI symbol which looks like the end of a MIDI plug. Another track will be created which is for Audio, labeled with the picture of a wave form.

That audio track is needed for the sound, the audio of the instruments to play through. The MIDI track is the data track where you record your performance.

You will always need at least two tracks like this - And I hope I'm making the logic of that clear enough. One track--MIDI, the other track is Audio and is essential so that the Audio of the instrument has a channel to play in!

And so on - The Tutorials will be helpful in Sonar, and the manual will be too. I think you may be at square one, needing to set up your sound card, needing to see some project examples - Take your time, and you'll get it!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum