• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere - Video Tutorials for beginners

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere - Video Tutorials for beginners

Hello GlennO/Spectrum,

I have Omnisphere but I am a complete beginner to soft synths.
    I would like to ask if there are some video tutorials aimed for the absolute beginner on how to use Omni in context with other tracks recorded in a DAW. For example, how to set the different modulations in Omni to match the tempo of a song, how to most effectively use Omni in a song context regarding different Omni parts playing simultanously (do I need more than 1 instance of Omni if I want several parts of Omni playing in different tracks with different sounds on each part or can I use 1 Omni and direct it to the tracks)? Plus of course many many other questions that I'm sure many people would like answered in a video tutorial so that they can use Omni more efficiently.

Thank you.

Re: Omnisphere - Video Tutorials for beginners

Thanks for the feedback...that's really useful.

We'll take that into consideration especially for the host specific tutorials we are working on.

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    Hello GlennO/Spectrum,

New to soft synths or synthesis in general? If the latter, there's always the "classic" synth secrets series. Many of those concepts can be applied in some form or the other to Omnisphere too.

(do I need more than 1 instance of Omni if I want several parts of Omni playing in different tracks with different sounds on each part or can I use 1 Omni and direct it to the tracks)?
    As a quick intermediate help: Depends on the host. With most you should be able to route multiple MIDI tracks with different channels to 1 instance of Omni and route the 8 audio outputs to different tracks or buses. You can choose which part in Omni you want to route to which output, named "OUT A" through "OUT H" on the mixer page.

However with multi-core CPUs it can be advisable to use multiple instances, so the load gets distributed over the cores. Usually, one core has to deal with a whole instance. Sonar even puts the load of a whole track or bus on one thread, regardless how many plugins are on that track/bus. HTH

werner

Quote Originally Posted by dreamkeeper View Post
    New to soft synths or synthesis in general? If the latter, there's always the "classic" synth secrets series. Many of those concepts can be applied in some form or the other to Omnisphere too.

As a quick intermediate help: Depends on the host. With most you should be able to route multiple MIDI tracks with different channels to 1 instance of Omni and route the 8 audio outputs to different tracks or buses. You can choose which part in Omni you want to route to which output, named "OUT A" through "OUT H" on the mixer page.

However with multi-core CPUs it can be advisable to use multiple instances, so the load gets distributed over the cores. Usually, one core has to deal with a whole instance. Sonar even puts the load of a whole track or bus on one thread, regardless how many plugins are on that track/bus. HTH

werner
    Thanks man. I'll take a look at the synth secrets series.
    What you mention as for using synths in DAWs is exactly the type of things I'd like to see in tutorials plus other "beginner" stuff as I've mentioned in the first post.

Another good tutorial would be if Eric would play some sound having some modulations in it in certain tempos (they can go crazy here with whatever kind of sounds) and then show us how to make those sounds from scratch in Omni, step by step and why they do what they do.
    Several examples of this would surely improve our Omni skills AND improve our overall sound design skills. That would be great.

Another good tutorial would be if Eric would play some sound having some modulations in it in certain tempos (they can go crazy here with whatever kind of sounds) and then show us how to make those sounds from scratch in Omni, step by step and why they do what they do.
    Several examples of this would surely improve our Omni skills AND improve our overall sound design skills. That would be great.
    Will keep that in in mind for the future tutorials.

BTW, the LFO Tutorial is a lot like that approach.

Hello GlennO/Spectrum,

I would like to ask if there are some video tutorials aimed for the absolute beginner on how to use Omni in context with other tracks recorded in a DAW. For example, how to set the different modulations in Omni to match the tempo of a song, how to most effectively use Omni in a song context regarding different Omni parts playing simultanously (do I need more than 1 instance of Omni if I want several parts of Omni playing in different tracks with different sounds on each part or can I use 1 Omni and direct it to the tracks)? Plus of course many many other questions that I'm sure many people would like answered in a video tutorial so that they can use Omni more efficiently.

Thank you.
    YEAH! Me too!

T

Go Back to forum