• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO: a lot of problems

Share/Bookmark

GPO: a lot of problems

Hi,

I experienced some strange behaviour with GPO.

My equipment:
    PC, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP, Cubase 4.52, GPO with Kontaktplayer 2.

First of all I cannot load some Instruments, e.g. Violin Gagli KS solo.nki (64.99 KB). The error message is: “This patch you’re trying to load cannot be used with this application”. But I can load Violin Gagli solo KS.nki (74,80 kB). In other words: I can load every keyswitch instrument that is named “Instument solo KS.nki” but not “Instrument KS solo.nki”.

Second problem: portamento is not working with the KS instruments. E.G. when I have a MIDI-Track with legato (# 64) and portamento events (#20) between two notes and load Violin Gagli solo.nki, then portamento works, but if I load Violin Gagli solo KS.nki, it worked only the first time I played the track. When I wind back and play again, it doesn’t work any longer.

Third Problem: I made an orchestra intro for a rock suite with a lot of GPO instruments and other VST-instruments. I came to the point where RAM ran short and used the purge function to unload unused samples. After that I missed some used samples and tried to reload (reload all samples) but it didn’t work. Therefore, I froze some instruments, unloaded samples of other instruments to get enough RAM to reload but it didn’t work either. I saved the project with a new name, reopened it and deleted everything except one Kontakt player with my GOP string instruments (where I missed the samples). Then I tried to reload the samples again but I failed although there was plenty of RAM free. Once the point of no return has been reached, it seems to be impossible to reload the samples. I had to close the Kontakt-Player and to reopen it again, to load all the instruments. By this I lost the whole mixer setup. So I had to build up everything from the scratch.

I would be grateful if someone could give me some hints.

Roland

Re: GPO: a lot of problems

Hi Roland,

I am in a hurry but try to help a little:

- Be sure you have the latest version, check in the Native Instruments Control center.

- For portamento look up the GPO portamento tutorial in this forum by Tom Hopkins. I think I also wrote an article there and described a method that should work always, the search function is your friend.

- Un-openeable projects are a pain and this can happen easily with Kontakt which gets touchy when running out of RAM. Try to reduce the preload amount of RAM to 45 ... and

- Save your projects under different names often, like project_01, project_02 etc. So in case something gets unuseable you can return to the last working version.

BTW welcome

-H
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Re 1: The "... KS solo" patches are KP1 patches; they cannot be loaded in KP2. The KP2 KS patches are called "... solo KS".

Re 3: You have to "Purge all samples" before you "Reload all samples". Do both and you'll get all samples loaded again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
    Hi Roland,

I am in a hurry but try to help a little:

- Be sure you have the latest version, check in the Native Instruments Control center.

- For portamento look up the GPO portamento tutorial in this forum by Tom Hopkins. I think I also wrote an article there and described a method that should work always, the search function is your friend.

- Un-openeable projects are a pain and this can happen easily with Kontakt which gets touchy when running out of RAM. Try to reduce the preload amount of RAM to 45 ... and

- Save your projects under different names often, like project_01, project_02 etc. So in case something gets unuseable you can return to the last working version.

BTW welcome

-H
    Thank you Hannes,

I have the latest version of Kontakt. I also red the tutorials about portamento and I think that I understood everything right. Portamento worked with some patches but not with the keyswitch patches. So my problem ist still unsolved.

Regards

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Re 1: The "... KS solo" patches are KP1 patches; they cannot be loaded in KP2. The KP2 KS patches are called "... solo KS".
    Thanks Nickie. I didn't know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Re 3: You have to "Purge all samples" before you "Reload all samples". Do both and you'll get all samples loaded again.
    That is exactly what I've done, but it didn't work.

Go Back to forum