• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: My show "Dorian" is opening in Russia

My show "Dorian" is opening in Russia

FINALLY!--I've been given the green light to let 'er rip on the news I've had to sit on for months now.

In brief - My show, "Dorian-The Remarkable Mister Gray" is being produced in Moscow, Russia, and I will soon be there to work with the company!

I'm pasting in a copy of the official Press Release which has been going out this morning. Some details of how this incredible thing came about are in that text.

In celebration, for the Forum I put together a video clip of a love song from "Dorian," taped live earlier this year. You can get the Windows Media file by clicking the title below the picture from the production.

Need I add?--I AM SUPER STOKED!
    Randy B.
    (be sure to scroll down for more info!)

Press Release

Oregon Composer’s Musical To Open In Moscow

Oregon composer Randy Bowser travels to Russia on Nov. 3 to direct the professional International Premiere of his stage musical, “Dorian—The Remarkable Mister Gray” at The Stas Namin Moscow Theatre of Music and Drama.

SALEM, OREGON — Oct. 24, 2008 —In April 2007, Pentacle Theatre of Salem, Oregon, staged “Dorian,” based on Oscar Wilde’s novel, “The Picture of Dorian Gray.” Attending on opening night was Michael Butler, the original producer of “Hair” on Broadway. The show’s creator, Mr. Bowser, signed a contract with Mr. Butler to develop “Dorian” for the professional stage.

Butler’s colleague, Russian producer-musician Stas Namin, became aware of the show and requested to present the first professional production in Moscow. Bowser, Butler and Namin met in L.A. in July to finalize arrangements. The libretto has been translated in Russian and pre-production has been in progress for several months. Butler is pleased to present the international production of “Dorian” preceding the show’s American professional debut.

Bowser will work with the cast in Moscow for the initial three weeks of rehearsals then return in March of 2009 to finalize the show for opening night.

According to Bowser, “Russia is the motherland of modern drama. To have my musical staged in Moscow promises to be a highlight of my life. It is a great honor.”

Stas Namin’s rock group “Flowers” was the first Soviet super-band. He founded the Stas Namin Theatre in Moscow’s famous Gorky Park, presenting acclaimed productions of musicals such as “Jesus Christ Superstar” “Godspell” and “Hair.” His company will now add “Dorian” to their repertoire.

In 1974, Bowser’s rock opera based on Dante’s “Inferno” received an award from the William Morris Agency. He has also written other stage pieces such as “The Nightingale” produced at The Masquers Club in Hollywood. At Pentacle Theatre, Bowser directed productions such as “The Mystery of Edwin Drood,” and Joe Brooks’ “Metropolis” which Salem’s newspaper, The Statesman Journal, cited as one of the top 10 cultural events of 2002.
    Randy B.

Re: My show "Dorian" is opening in Russia

Bon Voyage, Randy and CONGRATULATIONS on being
    and International Showman and Composer.

Just a great event to add to your already successful

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

This is fantastic news and could not have happened to a better fellow. Congratulations! Life is amazing, ain't it? All the best and happy traveling! - Reber Clark
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Orcas Island

Поздравляю вас!

За Ваш успех!

I've been viewing / listening to the lectures on "great american music; Broadway Musicals" by professor Bill Messenger through the teaching company. He gives a 16-lecture overview of Musicals from forerunners in the mid 19th century to the last few decades.

Looks like he will have to add a lecture to speak on your successful show.

THANKS MUCH you guys!

It was back in June when I made the announcement here on the Forum that Michael Butler and I had signed a contract, and that he was wanting to produce "Dorian" in L.A. as soon as possible.

But those plans changed quickly once Stas Namin in Russia learned about the show. He requested to do it first, and that's what we've been working towards ever since. The pro debut in The States will then follow at some other point.

It's been agonizing to not breathe a word of this - not even to my friends here in town.

So today feels great, to finally have this amazing development out in the open.

Gary - you made me rush to Google for a translation. Here it is, for those of you who were wondering if Gary had slipped in a few Russian expletives or something--hehe--he didn't:

"I congratulate you!
    For your success!"

Thank you much, Gary - This is the news I was wishing I could've told you in our email communications. And thank you David, Reber and Jack!

Randy B.

Congrats, Mr. Randy. I am proud of you! I can say I knew you "when".

I wish you much luck.

My Best,

Larry G. Alexander

Holy Cow that is great Randy!

A few words of wisdom:

1) Do not try to smuggle bullets in or out of Russia.

2) Do not believe that the ultra-hot supermodel 21 year old girl is really in love with you and can't wait to spend the rest of her life with you in America.

3) Do not think you can out drink a Russian when you are on their home court. They will take you straight to Vodka and they have a genetic disorder that makes Vodka the equivalent of water. You will be keeled over and they will not even have a buzz.

If you follow these three simple rules you will have a great trip.

Congrats, have a safe and terrific journey and take pictures!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Congratulations! Your show is quickly gaining steam and shows no signs of slowing! I hope you continue to find success in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    3) Do not think you can out drink a Russian when you are on their home court. They will take you straight to Vodka and they have a genetic disorder that makes Vodka the equivalent of water. You will be keeled over and they will not even have a buzz.

Fun Fact: The word "Russian" can be replaced with "Irishman", and "Vodka" with "ale", and the rule can be applied for a trip to Ireland.

За Ваш успех!
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Go Back to forum