• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT Guitar FX pedals

OT Guitar FX pedals

My teenage nephew has just started taking lessons on the electric guitar. I am thinking about getting an effects pedal ("stomp box") for one of his Christmas gifts. I used to have multi-effects rack unit for my keyboards (before I started getting involved with computers and sampling). It cost a fortune and had every effect under the sun (chorus, flanger, reverb, etc.). I gave it to my niece when she got her first electric guitar, so I am sort of starting from scratch with my nephew and basically wondering what professional guitarists would consider the most useful effect for a novice player.

If this helps, he is typically playing solo or with one other guitarist (a friend, who -- although she is not much older than him -- has been studying for years and is all ready giving lessons at a music store.) I can only remember the names of two groups that he said he likes Yellow Card and Blink (something or other). I have no idea what they sound like. But, I imagine at some point he will be interested in playing their songs and if there is an effect pedal that they use a lot, I think he would appreciate that one the most.

Re: OT Guitar FX pedals

I have a KORG AX1500, all manner of effects Amps, Cabinets, Reverb, Echo, the lot. It wasn't incredibly expensive currently 140 GBP but even single effects are 50 GBP odd.

Its very robust I must say.
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I bought this some time ago, tons of effects in one box and can be had about £65 if you shop around.

Digitech RP-90

• 12 Amp Models, 8 Cabinet Models - 32 Effect models including stompboxes
    • 100 Presets + Tone/FX Libraries
    • Chromatic Tuner - 40 Pattern Drum Machine

Won't stand much abuse on the road but for home / studio use it's excellent value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen View Post
    I played with a young guitarist awhile ago who used a Zoom multi-effects unit. He had great technique, but his sound seemed --- fake. He always asked me how I got my guitar tone.

I told him "A great guitar, a great tube amp, and a guitar cable to link the two."

The guy was astonished that it was so simple!

Totally agree Ern.

A great guitar, a great tube amp = big bucks

Sometimes a compromise is needed

Albuquerque, New Mexico

If he likes Blink 182 then Tom Delonge (guitarist) uses a pretty dry unaffected sound. See http://members.fortunecity.com/tomdelonge/amps.html for more info.

He might be happy with something from the SansAmp line. I think the tone can be decent and a fair amount of variety. For example I 've heard decent sounds from the Tri AC. See http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tech-21-...ELAID=92163119
    Not at all unusual to see these go for around $100 on Ebay lately.

I agree with Ern's assessment though, but as mentioned, takes money to go that route. I've known a couple of guitarists who came up on one of the Tech21 products.

Best of luck in your search.

Go Back to forum